Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone impressed with the overly-hyped "holiday update"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on what I've read about 2020.48.26, the update is quite modest and certainly doesn't live up to all the twitter teasing and subsequent anticipation of late. Sounds like the highlights are the boombox and a few more games.

From what I've read, only the newest Teslas manufactured with external speakers will be able to use the gimmicky boombox. I imagine that many drivers/pedestrians subject to cars tooting at them will simply get annoyed. No thanks (moot point, since my ancient 2019 Model S probably can't use the boombox anyway). More games are a nice gesture, but again, hardly amount to a major update.

I was hoping for something much more substantial, like birds-eye view (already available on cars a fraction of the Model S price) or a significant FSD update.

Maybe this latest release isn't the actual "holiday update"? Or maybe I'm missing something.

I thoroughly enjoy the reconfigured UI (although haven't had much time to get familiar since I was just updated last night) and the new games and boombox. Yes the pedestrian sound options are not exactly game-changing but they are hella fun, especially since you can use any sounds at all, not just those provided.

Reactions: DanCar
Based on what I've read about 2020.48.26, the update is quite modest and certainly doesn't live up to all the twitter teasing and subsequent anticipation of late. Sounds like the highlights are the boombox and a few more games.

From what I've read, only the newest Teslas manufactured with external speakers will be able to use the gimmicky boombox. I imagine that many drivers/pedestrians subject to cars tooting at them will simply get annoyed. No thanks (moot point, since my ancient 2019 Model S probably can't use the boombox anyway). More games are a nice gesture, but again, hardly amount to a major update.

I was hoping for something much more substantial, like birds-eye view (already available on cars a fraction of the Model S price) or a significant FSD update.

Maybe this latest release isn't the actual "holiday update"? Or maybe I'm missing something.

You should have ignored the rumors. People here get themselves worked up into a frenzy about nothing.

at a certain point, most should really, really learn to take Elon's hype for what a lot of his tweets are...hype.
Lower your expectations anytime he tweets, and there will be less disappointment
It is not just tweets, there are binding agreements when software is purchased. Tesla has been saying automatic driving in city streets coming later this year, in the year 2019. If people decide to sue, they will easily win. And that won't be the first time Tesla has lost a similar lawsuit. Tesla agrees to settle class action over Autopilot billed as 'safer'

More stuff coming: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1342577920565411841
If Elon is nice to his workers he will let them take a vacation and get back to work in the new year. So if it takes a couple of weeks to resolve all the issues, test, and release, then we are looking at mid January.

Thanks for posting Elon's update.

Many of you crack me up. Not coming here for life lessons. This forums to me though seems a fair place to air a minor grievance in response to Musk's latest hyperbolic tweeting. And it is, after all, the season of Festivus.

If you guys think the update hit the mark, then that's awesome. Didn't do it for me though. Installed update this AM. Has new games I'll likely never play (not at all opposed to new games, however) slight modification to IC design and better organized release notes. A very solid update to be sure, but not "on fire" or giving me "so many things you want & some you didn't know you wanted." The boombox wasn't in my update (6/16 Model S).

Looking forward to whatever remains after they iron out the bugs.

I agree with "vapor trail" that we need some substantial updates. The last round of updates provide "junk" that I have no use for. Let's focus on actual care safety and performance issues. I t appears the everybody has forgotten about the old promise of having FSD.

Well I think the point is that's exactly what Tesla are working on .. FSD. Which means other stuff is taking the back seat until that is done. I was never expecting much the the holiday update beyond a few toys and (perhaps) the new UI .. which is pretty much what we got. And if that means Tesla can stay focused on FSD, then that's just fine with me.

Reactions: Silicon Desert