TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is anyone interested in Tesla NOT because of any environmental reasons?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by aus, Jun 30, 2015.

1. aus

aus Member

I've been reading here for a couple months now and we're thinking of getting the 70D, but mainly because I want the car pool stickers and it would fit how we tend to drive.
    While reading on this board, I've noticed people comment a lot about how they feel they're being environmentally friendly by having a MS. I'm just wondering if there are people here just because it's an interesting car that has no competitor at this moment; not because they think they're helping the environment?

2. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Where I am, all the S' are coal powered.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

You will not find a narrow market for the Model S.
    I know people that bought it because they hate dealing with car dealers.
    Others buy it strictly for the performance.
    Others buy it for the drive quality.
    Some buy it for environmental reasons.
    Some for the convenience.
    Some for the national fiscal health.
    And yet others for national security reasons.
    Some others buy it because it is one car that fits a wide variety of uses.

Most buy it for a multitude of the above reasons.

4. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I think it's kind of an "all of the above" car. It's fast, has a reasonably long & useful range, looks good, and is electric. What's not to like? Other than a price out-of-reach of a lot of buyers. But that's what the Model 3 is for.

5. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

The environmental reasons are a pro, but I got it because it's cool, it looks good , it's fast and I don't have to pay for gas anymore (cheaper long term)

6. caddieo

caddieo Member

+1^. Most will have one major reason but that does not rule out other factors that have been enumerated (and I am sure there are other reasons that have not been mentioned). Environmental concerns are a plus but not overriding.

7. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Tesla is,

Good for the world
    Good for America
    Good for me

.. in that order

8. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

I certainly care about the environmental reasons, but they're not the most important reasons I bought the car. The biggest reasons are that I just love the idea of never visiting another gas station (they're smelly and inconvenient and they take big bites out of your wallet), I love having huge amounts of power on hand, and I love all the smarts in the car.

You certainly don't need to care at all. My father is totally unconvinced about any of the environmental aspects and he still wants one badly.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The big thing about a Tesla is that it stands on it's own merit, it doesn't need an "excuse" to compete with other cars. And once you've driven one for a month, you'll think your other car is broken.

10. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I prefer an electric car to reduce demand for oil for geopolitical reasons more than environmental. Tesla has the dual advantage of being able to stick it to OPEC and to the Texas Auto Dealers Association at the same time.

11. Insane

Insane Banned

1) Performance.
    2) Auto Pilot
    3) Safest car especially during winter.
    4) Almost no maintenance.

12. roblab

roblab Active Member

In a very short Google search, I see several nuclear power plants and several natural gas power plants in Ohio. I would also suspect there might be a Tesla owner or two who have solar panels and supply some of their own power.

I think your premise would be hard to prove, whether you believe it or not. Even burning coal, electrics are efficient enough to make less CO2 than a standard gas burning car.

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

*raises hand*

it's nice, but not the primary reason i bought my S.

14. rocketdallas

rocketdallas Member

I bought my MS because I was completely taken aback with the technology, engineering, and safety aspects of the car; suddenly, the other car choices I had considered at the time seemed really antiquated. Through my ownership experience with the car, I've become more aware of environmental concerns and am better for it.

15. deonb

deonb Active Member

For me, it's the convenience & lifestyle of charging.

Never having to go to the gas station for most of the year

-AND-

When we're on a road trip, the forced stops means I can actually get a frequent break from driving earlier, where previously other family members may have wanted me to keep pushing on.

16. robby

robby Member

It's funny, I'm the exact opposite. I love everything about our MS, but if it were gas powered I would not have paid $20k for it let alone its actual cost. As others have mentioned, it is such a great car it can likely stand on top of whatever category is important to you. You will love the car if/when you get it.

17. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Short term me getting a Tesla didn't help the environment. I don't drive nearly enough miles to offset how much energy it took to build.

Long term though it is a contribution to electrifying vehicles which is critical for the environment.

But, it didn't really factor into my decision. It was an agonizing decision because of so many unknowns. Normally I would have shaken it off and said "too risky", but it's hard to get a Tesla out of your psyche once you've driven it.

Edit - I should add that limited/no maintenance was a pretty significant factor. it's almost tragic how many various oil changes my Jeep takes. The engine oil, the rear transfer case oil, the front transfer case oil. Yadda, Yadda, yadda. Ughh!

18. mmccord

mmccord Member

The Environment was not a part of my decision at all. Performance, comfort and TCO were really the only factors.

19. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Me.

Not interested in the perceived environmental benefits of electric cars. I just enjoy interesting, high tech cars.

20. Owner

Owner Active Member

Hard core environmentalist who is worried about global warming....

I put money down on a Roadster in 2006??? Can't remember the exact year. Installed solar before I got the Roadster.

Switched to the Model S because I like road trips and wanted to supercharge.

But it is an insanely good car, and would not go back to an ICE even if I wasn't a treehugger.