Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone only charging for free at a supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Right_Said_Fred

May 11, 2012
The Netherlands
I was wondering: are there any Model S-owners who live close to a supercharger and only charge their car there (for free), and in the meantime have a bite, do some shopping nearby or maybe just browse in the car? It's probably only $10 or $15 worth of electricity, but still, a free 'tank' can still be irresistable to some.

I met a guy at Gilroy who stops there to top up every day on the way home to Los Banos from San Jose.

I guess that looks to be about a 160 mile round trip and assuming he can't charge at work that's not the worst example but he could also easily make it home. As long as there isn't a line of people behind someone doing that and they stay near there car I don't have a big problem with that. Ideally he should just charge at home although free fuel each day is probably too attractive for him to pass up.

If I lived where my Sister does (glad i don't but the SC is nice) I would only use the Supercharger in Folsom. But I wouldn't leave my car for very long, If ever and only charge every few days. but If I lived there I'd have enough solar that I wouldn't ever use the SC and it is inconvenient compared to home charging

Last edited:
Best case scenario is you get $10 worth of electricity in an hour - if your time is only worth $10/hour, you're probably not gonna have a Model S. I think as long as people are actually filling up its fine, much more annoying are people who leave it long after its finished charging.

Maybe they could do something like USAA does with ATM fees. I'd hate to see them get rid of free charging (they probably couldn't now that it's been advertised free for life but they could say anyone getting their car in 2014 and on will be under a new system). USAA will rebate up to $15/month in ATM fees. They could charge something nominal like $5 per charge session regardless of how long you charge and Tesla will credit you back $50/month or 10 sessions. This should cover most road trips and even most weekends but not someone using it once or twice a weekday and on weekends. Hopefully they can just keep it free like they said all along.

Maybe they could do something like USAA does with ATM fees. I'd hate to see them get rid of free charging (they probably couldn't now that it's been advertised free for life but they could say anyone getting their car in 2014 and on will be under a new system). USAA will rebate up to $15/month in ATM fees. They could charge something nominal like $5 per charge session regardless of how long you charge and Tesla will credit you back $50/month or 10 sessions. This should cover most road trips and even most weekends but not someone using it once or twice a weekday and on weekends. Hopefully they can just keep it free like they said all along.

This adds a lot of complexity to something that's currently quite simple. I hope they wait until there's actually a problem before they start trying to design solutions to the potential problems. and I hope that if problems do arise that they target the solutions for the problems that are actually occurring rather than what we fear might occur. i.e., talk to the system abusers and learn what their motivations are, and then try to come up with alternatives that keep them happy in a way that doesn't screw the road-trippers.
Personally, I've never used a SC, and have no plans to in the near future, so I guess I'm not likely to get impacted by abusers any time soon.

It has always saddened me to see how some people will abuse anything. Years ago, it was a RAV4EV owner who charged every day at a local mall, because it was free. People needing a charge were inconvenienced, some greatly so, but no one seemed to be able to do anything. The mall finally removed the chargers. I see the same thing happening again.

After a long crusade to get drivers to place a cell number on the dash, a few did. Most still don't. Free chargers are blocked by Leafs and Volts for 8 hours at a time, who in no way need to be there. Others who need just a short boost are unable to charge. There appears to be no answer.

The only thing I can think of is a database of careless car owners, built by disgruntled owners who pull up for a charge and sit for hours while several bays are blocked. I doubt that anyone would tackle this, although Tesla could: If offensive VINs were reported to Tesla Ownership Satisfaction team members, they could be logged and checked. Any MS owner who is abusing the system could be requested to be more courteous. Car data could be logged to prove the car was at a Supercharger longer than, let's say, 2 hours. Numerous complaints on any VIN would show flagrant carelessness. I suppose the car could be forced to stop charging after several notices had been sent.

I don't know, but civilization depends on laws with teeth. Something free will always attract the lazy, the careless, anti-social. It won't work unless there are STRONG guidelines.

I hope Tesla is working on something that will help polite people be polite.

It has always saddened me to see how some people will abuse anything. Years ago, it was a RAV4EV owner who charged every day at a local mall, because it was free. People needing a charge were inconvenienced, some greatly so, but no one seemed to be able to do anything. The mall finally removed the chargers. I see the same thing happening again.

After a long crusade to get drivers to place a cell number on the dash, a few did. Most still don't. Free chargers are blocked by Leafs and Volts for 8 hours at a time, who in no way need to be there. Others who need just a short boost are unable to charge. There appears to be no answer.

The only thing I can think of is a database of careless car owners, built by disgruntled owners who pull up for a charge and sit for hours while several bays are blocked. I doubt that anyone would tackle this, although Tesla could: If offensive VINs were reported to Tesla Ownership Satisfaction team members, they could be logged and checked. Any MS owner who is abusing the system could be requested to be more courteous. Car data could be logged to prove the car was at a Supercharger longer than, let's say, 2 hours. Numerous complaints on any VIN would show flagrant carelessness. I suppose the car could be forced to stop charging after several notices had been sent.

I don't know, but civilization depends on laws with teeth. Something free will always attract the lazy, the careless, anti-social. It won't work unless there are STRONG guidelines.

I hope Tesla is working on something that will help polite people be polite.

That's actually not a bad idea. A database of car plates/pictures that show folks ICEing (or do other improper things in EV spaces). Could shame them into doing the right thing. Especially if there's a business card left on the windshield with a QR code pointing to the app so they can see themselves.

I agree about not doing anything until it becomes a problem but they should probably think about this now and have the solution ready to be implemented instead of waiting until it is a problem and then scrambling to find a solution. I think a simple system of sending a text message to the owners phone or an alert through the mobile phone app (assuming they have that) telling them the charge is done will take care of a large majority of people.

I agree about not doing anything until it becomes a problem but they should probably think about this now and have the solution ready to be implemented instead of waiting until it is a problem and then scrambling to find a solution. I think a simple system of sending a text message to the owners phone or an alert through the mobile phone app (assuming they have that) telling them the charge is done will take care of a large majority of people.

You could have to register your cell number (or have the app) to use the SCs, that way they always have a way of grabbing you. Or Tesla could be able to remotely disconnect the charge cable (its really just unlocking the car)

This post may not be a popular opinion, but Tesla has told consumers that they can buy "supercharger access" for 2k extra on a 60 and it's priced in on a 85. They said "free for life" and did not place any restrictions on use (that I know of). Under those guidelines, how can people be charged with abuse? They figured that they had already "paid" for the electricity by purchasing the car. I don't think it's inconsiderate of them to use it unless they are fully charged and blocking the spot for others. It does suck in the grand scheme of things, but I can see why it would be done. For some locals, that might have been the reason they went forward with the purchase. Maybe they live in a condo or apartment and don't have the ability to charge at work.

I'm not making a case for it, just saying that I wouldn't judge them for doing it

This post may not be a popular opinion, but Tesla has told consumers that they can buy "supercharger access" for 2k extra on a 60 and it's priced in on a 85. They said "free for life" and did not place any restrictions on use (that I know of). Under those guidelines, how can people be charged with abuse? They figured that they had already "paid" for the electricity by purchasing the car. I don't think it's inconsiderate of them to use it unless they are fully charged and blocking the spot for others. It does suck in the grand scheme of things, but I can see why it would be done. For some locals, that might have been the reason they went forward with the purchase. Maybe they live in a condo or apartment and don't have the ability to charge at work.

I'm not making a case for it, just saying that I wouldn't judge them for doing it

They would well be within their rights to use the Superchargers of course for the exact reasons you said. Any changes would likely have to be from a certain date going forward.