TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is anyone paying these prices???

Discussion in 'Canada' started by green1, Oct 16, 2014.

1. green1

green1 Active Member

Used Tesla prices in Canada don't make any sense. There are 15 Model S' listed on autotrader right now, and extremely few that offer anything resembling value over a new vehicle.

2014 P85, $126,000 (If I price it out brand new it comes out to $128,570, but he's selling in Quebec which has $8,000 incentives, so he's actually $6,000 MORE than brand new, and doesn't have the new sensor suite!)
    The next listing is a P85+ for $135,000, the P85D spec'd as he lists is only $142,070 new, this one is in Ontario where they have $8,500 incentives, so again, he's $1000 more than brand new, and without the new sensor suite.
    next up we have a 2014 P85 for $125,500 in Ontario, compares to a new car at $131,370, do our incentive math again and we're again about $2000 over a brand new car, still no sensors.
    And the list goes on...

Why would anyone buy one of those when they can get a better, newer, vehicle for less money and less risk buying straight from Tesla?

2. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

I was actually talking to a friend about them a few days ago. Yes, they are ridiculously overpriced. But it's interesting that there are many... Before I bought mine, there were only 2.

3. plaeuschler

plaeuschler Member

They are a bargain actually if you compare to used Teslas in Norway. It has become less dramatic now, but there they used to be 30% more expensive than new.

The reason is quite simple: if you order a new car you wait 5 months. The used one can be driven home right away.

4. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

5. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

No one is forcing anyone to buy a used car at these prices and, I imagine, no one is buying at these prices earlier. Hardly price gouging if there are lots of alternatives, like buying a brand new, custom designed car (albeit taking delivery a couple months later).

6. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

I think in most provinces when you buy a used car from a private party you don't have to pay the Federal sales tax. This saves you 5% compared to buying a used or new vehicle from a dealer. Those prices are still high, but it's normal to negotiate for used cars.

7. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

#7 Canuck, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    No one said there was any "price gouging" taking place. I did use the word "gouge" which, used in this context, means "overcharge":

"gouge
    verb

• 1.make (a groove, hole, or indentation) with or as if with a gouge.
      "the channel had been gouged out by the ebbing water"
    • 2.NORTH AMERICAN
      overcharge; swindle.
      "the airline ends up gouging the very passengers it is supposed to assist"
      definition of gouge - Google Search

In my opinion, $149,000 FIRM, as stated in the ad, is overcharging for this vehicle (as well as the prices for the other vehicles I linked to):
    2014 Tesla Model S - $149000 - http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4677018531.html

Of course, no one is forcing anyone to buy at these prices and obviously there are alternatives. That's beside the point, as is "price gouging" which is a completely different issue: Price gouging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- - - Updated - - -

In BC we pay 12% PST on used vehicles from private vendors so it's not much different than also paying the GST:

"GST does not apply to used vehicles sold privately, but a 12-percent PST is charged on those."
    Tax Tip: Do You Have to Pay Taxes on Used Cars in British Columbia, Canada?: Here's a helpful tip on whether or not you have to pay taxes on used cars in British Columbia | TurboTax Canada

8. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I was watching used Teslas for a bit before I decided to buy a new one. Normally I buy my cars lightly used - but I quickly concluded that there was no point in this case. That said, I don't think that the overpriced ones are actually selling. I think they're mostly just sitting there. There have a been a few more reasonably priced ones come and go fairly quickly over the last six months.

I almost wonder if somebody is playing some games - advertising one car at a ridiculous price, to make the more reasonably priced cars seem more attractive? Curious.

9. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

I saw a couple posts where owners said they are putting thier S for sale because they are ordering the P85D.

As for price, meh, someone can ask whatever they want, it just wont sell and the price will drop over time; akin to the housing market

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Lots of people have lamented that they can't get Sig Red, like I did. Here's your big chance! For a mere $150,000 you can have your very own two year old Sig Red! Funds needed for a D. No unreasonably high offer refused!

11. catnip

catnip Member

Such was the case in 1999, when hybrids were introduced, I had the Honda Insight (2 seats) and I remember seeing used price were a tad lower (just) than a new one.
    Call it market testing, maybe the seller has something else in mind that actually selling the car.

12. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Its crazy.....especially if you are a potential buyer in Ontario. We get $8500 back on a new one, plus the EVSE rebate. I would have to see a used price at 20-25k under sticker price to even consider it, and even then, if it were 2 years old I would likely pay 10-15k more to get brand new anyway. Fair used prices for me as a buyer would be 50-60k for a 60, and 60-75k for an 85, depending on options.

13. Luclyluciano

Luclyluciano Member

There's a decent P85 + for $115,000. However, several months ago there was a 6 month old low km Blue P85+ for $109,000. AT that time that was a good deal. At these prices I am ordering a brand new P85D for after the snow melts. No incentive to buy used older tech.

14. green1

green1 Active Member

I'm not yet to the point of being ready to buy (at least not at these prices), however I would say that if I were, there's not a single vehicle listed for sale right now used that would make sense over buying a brand new S85 or S85D (one could potentially make an argument for a P85+ in the 105,000 range, but if you were thinking S85D that wouldn't be too tempting)
    I keep pricing out my configuration on the Tesla site, and I keep getting between $104,000 and $109,000. (depending on if I go S85 or S85D) nothing used even comes close to that.

15. KdotB

KdotB Member

The big killer is tax. My car was 127 before. I paid 144 in the end. even if you factor in the $8500 you get back, there's another $8500 out the window. Maybe not much to some, but man when I saw the tax added on too, I was starting to wonder if I should downgrade from the P to an S, or remove some options. As stated, buying used means no tax...which might be worth it to some, if it means the difference between an S and a P

16. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I've got my P85+ priced to sell. If you're interested, click the link in my signature.

17. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Not sure that will work...have they change the rule that forbids importing a Model S?...I don't think it is on the list of cars eligible to import...

18. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I don't know the answer. I thought importing between the U.S. and Canada was fairly easy?

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Somewhat easy; there are some changes that have to be made. More secure keyfobs. Red seat belt release buttons. Daytime running lights.

That said, I thought Model S was on the list.

20. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Only if it's on the list of allowable imports. Certain Roadersters are but not Model S:

TESLA MOTORS