Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone paying these prices???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be interesting to see how these hold up over the next few years and we have a vested interest. If used prices stays high it makes it very easy to trade up if Tesla has some great new features that you want in two years. I have ordered a P85D but I would be bummed if I ordered before the D and stuff like Autopilot were available.

I've got no skin in this game but I'm watching this with a bit of concern, honestly. I do believe that these cars will only start moving in the 80s (C$) - only because when I had decided to buy (a month prior to the D announcement), that's the point at which I would have gone used instead of new myself. None were available at that price at the time, so I ordered new. I'm concerned, because I expect that the same thing might happen to the Ds in a year or 2 if the battery range is bumped - or if Tesla massively upgrades the technology in the dash - or something else.

Teslas are different then typical cars. They're a cross between a car and a tech gadget, and sell predominantly to people who love tech - and who desperately want the latest toys. And they're still at the beginning of the development curve - which means that the design changes from year to year are going to be dramatic. All of these things point to very rapid depreciation.
That certainly appears to be true at the moment. I think you might have put your finger on it. There is most probably a breaking point (possible $80KCad as you've suggested) where used Teslas become desirable and affordable but for people who can afford more than that, they might buy ICEs and if they are specifically interested in Tesla, they may fit the profile you describe, i.e. it's worth paying extra for the latest and greatest. I think with conventional cars there is often a group of people who will intentionally wait for 1 year old cars to avoid that drive off the lot hit, and get relatively new cars that have already taken some of the depreciation pain. This doesn't seem to be happening (noticeably anyway) with the many 0-1 year old Teslas.
It will be interesting to see if the discontinuation of RWD P85s will improve demand at all. I think there are still people who prefer RWD and if I'm not mistaken the range on the P85 is slightly better than the P85D - (also more frunk space).
Clearly I"m grasping at straws!

Wow! 28 Teslas for sale in autotrader.ca. I am quite concerned there are so many and do not appear to be selling. Are all these people thinking about upgrading? I hope this is the reason. It would be best if those so called testing the waters & not serious to sell took them off the market.

Wow! 28 Teslas for sale in autotrader.ca. I am quite concerned there are so many and do not appear to be selling. Are all these people thinking about upgrading? I hope this is the reason. It would be best if those so called testing the waters & not serious to sell took them off the market.
I have said this many times. Many listings are duplicates, although there are more individual listings recently.
Luclyluciano why do you post so much on this topic? Do you drive a Model S currently?

Who cares... There were less cls 55 sold than model s j the first place. The model s is a much better buy in every regards, very low cost of ownership, no oil change, and so on., further more the warranty on a model s is unbeatable.

It's a buyers market right now but it won't last. Reading through this thread it seems obvious to me there are some (presumably buyers) that appear to be pushing scare tactics on owners trying to sell (particularly those with a D on order) in an attempt to bring prices down.

Sure there are a few on the market but this also isn't the best time of year to sell a rear wheel drive vehicle in Canada. Come spring when the snow clears, the sun is shining and the streets are cleaned, demand for a non 'D' performance model S will be much higher.

In the interim, there will be a few buyers who will get a great deal as some sellers don't care what it costs to upgrade to a D. If you are in the market, this is the time to buy. As a seller, like any other $100k rear wheel drive luxury brand, you're silly to sell it during the winter months. If you do, you can expect to take a hit.

I have said this many times. Many listings are duplicates, although there are more individual listings recently.
Luclyluciano why do you post so much on this topic? Do you drive a Model S currently?

I do not own a model s. I am in the market to buy in the spring and the Model s is what I've decided on. I am posting because this thread exists and because I am watching the market until I am ready. The only duplicate ads are the priority listings. I am not pushing scare tactics. It's the shear amount of cars for sale that is the concern.
If there were only 5-10 cars for sale there would be not as much concern to me.

I do not own a model s. I am in the market to buy in the spring and the Model s is what I've decided on. I am posting because this thread exists and because I am watching the market until I am ready. The only duplicate ads are the priority listings. I am not pushing scare tactics. It's the shear amount of cars for sale that is the concern.
If there were only 5-10 cars for sale there would be not as much concern to me.
You have posted the count of Teslas for sale at least 4 times at a quick count as well as posts on how people are overpriced, how much they will need to drop to sell etc. I think I described this earlier in the thread as being like buzzards circling, waiting for one of us to dramatically drop price. The problem is that if the price drops too dramatically I will be selling to tesla to get the benefit of not paying GST on the full price of my D. Presumably there will not be fire sale prices once the cars are being resold and in some jurisdictions such as Alberta you would not pay GST buying private but you will pay GST to Tesla.

As a prospective buyer presumably looking for a good deal, why are you concerned that there are so many listed for sale? You should be feasting on the choices you have now !

Until the D, I was considering a P85+ new or used. At first the resale prices were similar to new prices. Now I am looking to buy a D and as a consumer I am concerned about the resale value. Supply and demand. Lots of supply right now. I have not checked out every vehicle but I'm guessing more supply than most other vehicles in its price point. Eventually there will be many D's on the road after a year or two and with newer innovations to the D to follow who knows. Although I can more than afford to buy the car, I am prudent with my money and an educated consumer.

Until the D, I was considering a P85+ new or used. At first the resale prices were similar to new prices. Now I am looking to buy a D and as a consumer I am concerned about the resale value. Supply and demand. Lots of supply right now. I have not checked out every vehicle but I'm guessing more supply than most other vehicles in its price point. Eventually there will be many D's on the road after a year or two and with newer innovations to the D to follow who knows. Although I can more than afford to buy the car, I am prudent with my money and an educated consumer.
Something is fishy here. First you say you are buying a used Model S in the spring and now you are looking to by a D?
Which is it? You know I think most of us here who have a real stake in all this (current owners with a D on order) would prefer that you stop stirring the pot. Please stop posting about how many used Tesla's are for sale and let us deal with our real issues like should we trade our cars in or sell privately.
Thank you

There are 32 Model S' on Autotrader now. All but 3 are in Ontario/Quebec. Prices still seem crazy high to me for most of them. There are a few in the 80's which is what I would expect. But I don't want a RWD 60. I'm thinking AWD is the way to go up here, I'm strongly considering just buying a new 85D. I don't really see the incentive to buy used, the prices are crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

...The problem is that if the price drops too dramatically I will be selling to tesla to get the benefit of not paying GST on the full price of my D...
What do you mean by that? Do you mean a trade-in? Tesla does trades? Just on Teslas or what? I guess I thought they only sold new cars, did not deal with used ones at all.

There are 32 Model S' on Autotrader now. All but 3 are in Ontario/Quebec. Prices still seem crazy high to me for most of them. There are a few in the 80's which is what I would expect. But I don't want a RWD 60. I'm thinking AWD is the way to go up here, I'm strongly considering just buying a new 85D. I don't really see the incentive to buy used, the prices are crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean by that? Do you mean a trade-in? Tesla does trades? Just on Teslas or what? I guess I thought they only sold new cars, did not deal with used ones at all.
Big topic. Probably easiest to check out this thread: If you do not mind, Please post your trade in offer from Tesla so we can compare note
short answer is yes.
I really don't understand the crazy high statement from the point of view of what people paid and what it would cost for someone in their region to buy a new one. That being said, none of them (including mine) seem to be selling. I guess if everyone sees the prices as crazy high perception is everything.
I've removed mine from sale now but I was selling it for 117,500. A calgarian like myself would have paid for this car about $145,500 plus service =$147,500, not to mention if they wanted an Xpel wrap (mine is fully wrapped). On the other hand, if they bought my used car there would have been no GST so a difference of around $30,000 for a car that is 8 months old and has 9,800 Kms. A new P85D of the same spec, in Alberta would be more like $156,000 for a difference of about $38,500. Sure some people (including me) will pay that full price but clearly there is still money to be saved buying a nearly new car. I guess in some provinces there is still HST on used car sales so the differences aren't as great. Maybe I'm suffering more from a slow Calgary market and also a market where AWD is going to be the most popular either way, I hit the point where trading in was more or less a wash if I dropped my price again, particularly if I assess some value on my time.

... in the 80's which is what I would expect...

How do you arrive at that expectation? In the States they're in the 80's but their dollar is worth about 15% more than ours -- so that places them in the 90's, plus there's many more available also driving prices down. Your expectation of the 80's seems far too low to me, but then again I have a vested interest in higher resale prices.

I'm not trying to start anything here. I guess I am not aware of the higher end prices. I priced out an AWD 85 with a bunch of options (tech, winter tires, etc.) my combo basically. It's $108+tax. I haven't really looked at a loaded up 85+, and I'm really not aware of past pricing at all, so my expectation of 80's may not be in alignment with the market. I know when I've traded vehicles in the past, after 2-3 years you're at like 70% purchase value or less though (not 100K+ vehicles either though).

I know I would be looking to save at least 30% buying used, unless maybe under 10,000km and less than 6 months old. Ontario $8,500 rebate on buying new pushes down my value for used, plus we pay full HST on used, plus we can get up to $1,000 back for EVSE purchase/install. Then you add in the new features only available on a new model, having full warranty, picking the exact options you want, plus the wow factor of being the only owner and driving it from brand new.

I am also looking at the stripped down versions for buying new, so used pricing on mostly fully loaded models is a tough comparison.