Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is anyone pulling a horse trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my wife and I test drove a MX recently, when she found out it could potentially haul her horses around it suddenly became a possibility for us to get one.

is anyone using their MX to haul horses, can you tell me a little about your experience.

This could be a very good use case for the Model X if you towing is all local. You should easily be able to get a 2 horse trailer and two average horses in there with a bit of gear under 5,000 GVW.

As long as your total distance is not more than about 130-150 miles, depending on elevation, it should be OK.

Reactions: FarmerDave
@aesculus thanks for the reply, that's exactly what she wanted to hear.

We currently have a dodge dually with a huge 3 horse trailer which is such a chore to utilize that she doesn't really get to go riding anywhere except on our own property, unless she prepares for a big excursion.

We're hoping that the MX might change all that and lead to many early morning rides on local trails. We are planning to get something like a featherlight trailer (roughly 1800 lbs) with our 2 horses (1200lbs and 1000lbs) the total weight should be around 4000lbs which should give us some wiggle room for gear, like you said.

Have you or any one hauled horses with the MX? We are wondering how it handles stopping, swaying, the unpredictable movements of the horses etc...

Not a horse, but it pulls my 21' (4300lb) ski boat much smoother than my GMC..the funny thing is the X is so quiet in comparison that you can now hear all the creaks and groans from the tow hitch and trailer that it's a little freaky. Only issue is the range impact...but if 100+ miles has got you covered than should be good

..the funny thing is the X is so quiet in comparison that you can now hear all the creaks and groans from the tow hitch and trailer that it's a little freaky.
I just bought some lithium grease today to put on our hitch ball and anti-sway arms while pulling our trailer. We were out practicing backing maneuvers yesterday, and the groans and creaks were loud. Pulls like a dream though.

I just bought some lithium grease today to put on our hitch ball and anti-sway arms while pulling our trailer. We were out practicing backing maneuvers yesterday, and the groans and creaks were loud. Pulls like a dream though.
Did that with my camper once ... and only once. My next time out the trailer swayed back and forth in one situation very very badly. Normally it was fine but that sure makes it sway when it did sway. I'd suggested rubbing it with light sand paper instead (100 or 220 grit) instead of superlubing it.

So did you end up getting the X to tow with ??

I'm thinking of doing the same, however, my concern is having to take horses out, unhitch float whilst charging. What do I do with the horses whilst the car is charging ?!?!

So unless your only doing short trips, I don't think it's practical. I'd have to get a light horse float instead of the camper that suits me better, and even then, not sure I can actually use it for much.

Interesting as batteries improve this should make this more viable.

You should have no problem towing anything with the MX. Max range towing 5,000lbs on flat roads with a 100D is about 125miles at 60mph. Wh/mi is around 700-800. The more aerodynamic the trailer the better. We tow a 28ft travel trailer, about 4,500lbs, and have no problem going 125 miles in good weather and little headwind. However on a cold day, < 40F and wind I would not go farther than 90-100 miles.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
my wife and I test drove a MX recently, when she found out it could potentially haul her horses around it suddenly became a possibility for us to get one.

is anyone using their MX to haul horses, can you tell me a little about your experience.

I helped once to relocate a horse to it's "retirement home" about 30 miles away. It was a small 2 horse tandem trailer. Tongue weight registered roughly 300lbs loaded; so estimated about 3000lbs total.

My MX75D towed it with no issues and felt the same as towing my own regular trailer. It felt the same to me; I felt the horse move on occasion but it didn't unsettle the car or cause my to react differently in any way. It was a mix of about 5 miles of direct/gravel road, 10 miles of interstate, 10 miles of state highway (1-2 lanes at 45-55mph with stoplights), and the rest were one lane rural roads. I registered slightly lower wh/mi than I have with my own trailer - ~1800lb enclosed low profile trailer loaded with anywhere between 100-3000lbs which I tow regularly with.

This part is speculative; but I find towing loose loads (and probably livestock) is easier with the Tesla. The regenative breaking is smoother overall and easier to modulate (neither of my trailers have brakes) which results in less clanging or overall trailer shock that I've encountered in other tow vehicles. The acceration as well. The lack of a transmission and gear shift allows for smoother acceleration. It's something you really don't appreciate until you go from a Tesla back into a car with a transmission; then it feels really jerky - yes even the new ultra smooth 8 speeds. I'd imagine your hoses would appreciate that.

There's also horse farm about a mile from me; the owner has a Tesla. They tow a small tandem horse trailer all the time; but it seems to be local. When they load up for an out of state show with the 20ft trailer; the RAM dually comes out. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200