Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone using a screen protector on the display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been happy with screen protectors for my cameras my phones and my Tesla from this company. I’ve always been very happy with the quality.

Since day one, 3 years ago -

I still have the thin factory plastic on my display, thinking about a glass screen protector. Definitely don't want the matte glass that I see, I like the regular clear glass. Who makes the absolute best?

Thx
I bought the Spigen screen protector in matte and I am glad I did. It cuts down the glare and doesn't show much fingerprints. Sure, there is a little softening of text colour but that was not a problem for me. I kept on the factory plastic until I could put the Spigen on.

i have a matt protector. it robs the screen of brilliance but it helps make fingerprints invisible as well as keeps the sun at bay. It gives you piece of mind if you by accident drop something against the screen too. a cracked screen protector can be quickly replaced. replacing a screen is expensive.

i guess its unlikely you scratch the screen but things can happen and with such a nice central screen even 1 scratch is incredibly annoying.
if you get a clear screen protector you wont even notice its on.

Reactions: house9
This is what I did, love the anti-glare look.

Tim

i actually didnt even know that the original screen was brilliant! I only found this out the other day when i looked at another model 3s screen and the colours really popped. I have never actually seen my screen without the matte protector - first thing i put on the car. lol.

The matte screen is so much more superior in sunlight. i think at night id prefer the brilliant/clear screen though.

Reactions: BeeGood
Since day one, 3 years ago -
+1 for the Abstract Ocean product. Literally installed mine the first time, perfectly in probably 3 minutes. Spent more time watching and re-watching the video on the install than the actual install.

I too initially wanted their non-matte version. That was my original order, but after reading tons of posts and polls I changed my order to Matte and I love it. The screen is still crystal clear no issues at all. And fewer visible fingerprints with the matte I believe. Spring for the $10 microfiber and cleaner it's great and the cleaner bottle comes in this really slick container that somehow "fits" the Tesla.

Reactions: Dre78 and TBrownTX
Add me as another for Abstract Ocean. I went with the glossy- there are occasional fingerprints but I also bought the little pad that's super easy to run across and clean it in 10 sec. No need to put the display in clean mode either!

Abstract Ocean is a great little Tesla shop. They're friendly, quick with shipping, and sell only quality accessories.

I have the spigen matte protector. I didn't mean to order the matte version, and thought I had ordered gloss, but didn't catch the mistake until it was already installed. So I figured I'd leave it for now and change it later. I have no desire to change it anymore. I thought it looked good from the start, but after a while just sort of forgot about it. It wasn't until the other day I even remembered I had it on. While it may not be as sharp as the gloss or no screen protector, it still looks great, has no fingerprints, and doesn't reflect sun hardly ever.

Reactions: Slate and TBrownTX
I have the spigen matte protector. I didn't mean to order the matte version, and thought I had ordered gloss, but didn't catch the mistake until it was already installed. So I figured I'd leave it for now and change it later. I have no desire to change it anymore. I thought it looked good from the start, but after a while just sort of forgot about it. It wasn't until the other day I even remembered I had it on. While it may not be as sharp as the gloss or no screen protector, it still looks great, has no fingerprints, and doesn't reflect sun hardly ever.

To me the no fingerprints is the best part.

Tim

Yep. I had a Spigen waiting here before the car even showed up :) They make pretty terrific products, so knew it would be solid, and their installation frame worked absolutely perfect - zero bubbles, perfectly lined up all the way to the edges. It's perfectly crystal clear, no distortions, etc., and has a nice tactile feel, without any reduction in touch sensitivity.

I went with glossy as I wanted to keep the OEM sharpness/brightness and did it purely for protection. I figured all it takes is one accidental scrape with a watch, or a hard wipe with a grain of sand, whatever - I'm sure the display is pretty scratch resistant, but I did __not__ want to go through the next 3 years with a visible scratch on the screen, so for $35, it's excellent peace-of-mind. :)

Last edited:
Yep. I had a Spigen waiting here before the car even showed up :) They make pretty terrific products, so knew it would be solid, and their installation frame worked absolutely perfect - zero bubbles, perfectly lined up all the way to the edges. It's perfectly crystal clear, no distortions, etc., and has a nice tactile feel, without any reduction in touch sensitivity.

I went with glossy as I wanted to keep the OEM sharpness/brightness and did it purely for protection. I figured all it takes is one accidental scrape with a watch, or a hard wipe with a grain of sand, whatever - I'm sure the display is pretty scratch resistant, but I did __not__ want to go through the next 3 years with a visible scratch on the screen, so for $35, it's excellent peace-of-mind. :)

I'm on the fence between matte and glossy. I will have my windows tinted to 20% so I'm not sure how much of an issue glare will be. I have heard that some of the glossy screen protectors can give off a weird rainbow effect if you're wearing polarized sunglasses, which I do. Has anyone had this issue?

I'm on the fence between matte and glossy. I will have my windows tinted to 20% so I'm not sure how much of an issue glare will be. I have heard that some of the glossy screen protectors can give off a weird rainbow effect if you're wearing polarized sunglasses, which I do. Has anyone had this issue?

yeah they do. Outside USA polarized sunglasses aren't really a thing but I have some cheap untinted cycling sunglasses for nighttime riding from china which are polarized and you get a rainbow effect on the screen protector.

Personally this would annoy me but afaik you can get some screen protectors which don't have this issue.

I was kind of the same, I figured in a car, with lots of glare potential, maybe the matte might be better, but I've tried that once on a phone, wasn't a fan, and mostly used glossy (which don't really even show up) on my devices (I've got a 12.9 iPad Pro sitting right here, glossy screen protector), and based on that, I knew I didn't want any differences in the color/contrast/etc.

I might give the polarized glasses a shot, just for hoots, though I use non-polarized, when I occasionally wear them in the car.