Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AP1 a given with Techpackage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure this is the right sub forum so please allow the noob a bit of leeway.

Please help my understanding: I thought auto pilot 1 (AP1) was part and parcel with the tech package. Meaning that if a car had the tech package it also had auto pilot. Is that correct? Or, was AP1 an additional add-on to the tech package? I read a couple of posts including the Model S Options by Year running history and Wiki, but that combination is still a bit fuzzy for me.

I am asking because I see some CPO cars that list the Tech package and the AP1 hardware, but they do not have the AP icon on the splash tile. Others do. (I hope that is clear,)

Attachments

• T1.png
    T1.png
    267.7 KB · Views: 96
Thank you for the quick response, I do appreciate it. I realize I made an error in my question. I meant to specifically ask about the P85D configuration. I thought that these were introduced in the last quarter of 2014 and thought AP1 came out at the same time.

I think that you are right as a few P85's were made with AP1 before P85D was made.

I seem to remember that for a small while AP was sold separately from the Tech package. The tech package was then discontinued with some parts of it going into the PuP package and others into AP. Configurations were changing really fast at the time. I do believe that all D cars can at least be software upgraded to AP1 for a fee.
So... If a D car doesn't say AP it probably doesn't have it but can be upgraded to have it.

In late 2014, there was a "Tech Package," and a "Tech Package with Autopilot." The latter cost more but also included parking sensors and fog lamps, which were previously separate packages. If you had a P85 or P85D with AP1 hardware prior to the existence of "Tech Package with Autopilot," then only its safety features were enabled and not the convenience features like traffic-aware cruise control. However, you could upgrade from "Tech Package" to "Tech Package with Autopilot" for a fee ($500 at the time).

As for your example, it clearly states that it has "Tech Package with Autopilot," which means it has both safety and convenience features, i.e. TACC and Autosteer are present. The missing icon thing on the CPO site is probably an oversight.

In late 2014, there was a "Tech Package," and a "Tech Package with Autopilot." The latter cost more but also included parking sensors and fog lamps, which were previously separate packages. If you had a P85 or P85D with AP1 hardware prior to the existence of "Tech Package with Autopilot," then only its safety features were enabled and not the convenience features like traffic-aware cruise control. However, you could upgrade from "Tech Package" to "Tech Package with Autopilot" for a fee ($500 at the time).

As for your example, it clearly states that it has "Tech Package with Autopilot," which means it has both safety and convenience features, i.e. TACC and Autosteer are present. The missing icon thing on the CPO site is probably an oversight.

Interesting. I didn't know it was possible to have "Tech Package" (without Autopilot) on a car with AP1 hardware. Did Tesla ever offer both "Tech Package" and "Tech Package with Autopilot" at the same time (i.e. two variations for the tech package?). Or was this just for people who configured a car with "Tech Package" before the introduction of autopilot but ended up taking delivery of a car with AP1 hardware?

By time I configured my S85D in March 2015, the only option of this type was "Tech Package with Autopilot", which was frequently just called "Tech Package" (at the store where I ordered, anyway).

Bruce.

Interesting. I didn't know it was possible to have "Tech Package" (without Autopilot) on a car with AP1 hardware. Did Tesla ever offer both "Tech Package" and "Tech Package with Autopilot" at the same time (i.e. two variations for the tech package?). Or was this just for people who configured a car with "Tech Package" before the introduction of autopilot but ended up taking delivery of a car with AP1 hardware?
Yes, I'm talking about those people who configured a car with "Tech Package" before the introduction of "Tech Package with Autopilot," and were lucky enough to get AP1 hardware. This included the initial set of P85D buyers, IIRC, because the new tech package did not yet exist for a little while after the 'D' introduction. Various design options (like the 2nd row seats!) were also in flux at the time. The AP1 features weren't actually enabled until the 6.0 release came out at the end of October 2014, and then TACC was the only convenience feature; we didn't get Autosteer until 7.0 came out a year later, in October 2015.

Since I had AP1 hardware but had only purchased "Tech Package," TACC didn't work for me. I had to schedule an upgrade appointment at my local service center in January 2015, where they calibrated my front-facing camera, and then flipped a software switch that upgraded my account to "Tech Package with Autopilot". Initially they charged me $500 to do so, but then refunded it after a memo from HQ came out that grandfathered in the AP1 P85s if they had additionally purchased both the parking sensors and fog lamps packages, making them equivalent to what was included in the new tech package. It was a time of great joy and confusion for all concerned.

By time I configured my S85D in March 2015, the only option of this type was "Tech Package with Autopilot", which was frequently just called "Tech Package" (at the store where I ordered, anyway).
It had changed over from "Tech Package" to "Tech Package with Autopilot" sometime after the 'D' introduction in October 2014, but I'm not sure of the exact date. Probably someone posted about it when it happened, but I didn't find anything obvious with a quick search.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bmah
I dug a bit more and found this thread: Autopilot requires Tech Package or not?

A screenshot was posted from the design studio on Tesla's website, right after the 'D' introduction on 9 October 2014, that mentions "Tech Package with Autopilot." It seems the change went into effect right away after the unveiling for all new orders, so I was wrong about P85Ds not getting that version of the package and wanted to correct my mistake.

If you had placed your order prior to the announcement date, then you got the old "Tech Package." So for the remainder of 2014, you had some AP1 cars being delivered with the old "Tech Package" as originally ordered, and others with the new "Tech Package with Autopilot" (and still others without a tech package, since it was optional.) However, if you placed a new order after 10/9/2014, the only tech package option was the new one that included the Autopilot convenience features.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah