Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AP1 and AP2 software consolidating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
I don't use my AP1 much other than in stop-and-go traffic. Because of that, it's been a while since I drove with AP ON outside of stop-and-go highway traffic, but recently I activated it to clean my glasses while going 60mph on a highway. I have driven that stretch many times before, and I'm sure plenty of other Teslas sent GPS data back to the mothership about it as this area has a fairly large Tesla population. I have used AP on the same stretch before (also cleaning glasses) and it used to do quite well in good weather. This time however, in perfectly good weather, it was ping-ponging back and forth between lane markers, even when there was a truck next to me . The AP saw the line markers as they were clearly displaying on the cluster and the ultrasonics showed an object to the side, yet still AP decided to hug the right lane marker with a truck hugging it from the other side. It sounds like the kind of behavior I read from people with AP2 here (we also have an AP2 car but no EAP). Also, when stopped at traffic lights the AP1 car keeps showing me the little "P" on the cluster indicating I can initiate parallel or perpendicular parking (which often would be directly into oncoming traffic).

Has Tesla consolidated their code recently moving the AP2 algorithm over to AP1 cars? Anyone else noticing change in behavior?

My opinnion on autopilot:
take-that-idea-behind-the-barn-and-shoot-it.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex and MattMatt