Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is automatic profile selection working better now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Transformer

Do the math. Save the world. — Mark Leon
Dec 26, 2019
Silicon Valley
Lately when my spouse and I approach the car (2020 Model 3 with s/w 2022.12.3.2) it's been doing a much better job of selecting the right driver profile.

Did Tesla get the car to determine which phone is closer to the driver's door?

I've resolved that by selecting my profile as "preferred".

If you mean the preferred Bluetooth device, that's a per-profile setting that picks which phone to use for Bluetooth audio streaming, phone calls, and text messages.

The UI is unclear on this. It has settings to associate key -> profile -> preferred Bluetooth audio, but the UI doesn't reveal that without experimenting.

Or is there a new setting for preferred driver profile?

Alas, the success was just some lucky days.

It could be picking the profile for the nearest phone when the first door opens (even if it's the passenger door), or the first phone to connect, or something else. It's not picking the phone at the driver's door.

I did a bunch of tests today to figure out how our driver selection has become perfect (can't remember the last time it made a mistake).

Had a bunch of suspects:
  • Proximity of the phone key to the driver's door. We know they can do this because of a recently related automatic door unlock feature. Would have limitation if using the key card.
  • Cabin camera. We know they already use the camera to detect distracted drivers and increase emergency braking sensitivity. Plausible but seems a bit overkill.
  • Weight of the driver as measured by the seat weight sensor. Some smart scales do this to automatically record new weight measurements against the correct user profile. Easiest option.
So I tried leaving my phone on the door storage on the driver side and then switch seats with my partner a few times without moving the phone. Got it right every time. So not this one.

Then I covered the camera, leaving the phone as is. Passed again.

Finally, I hovered over the seat supporting my weight by pushing back against the seat and applied random pressure to the top of the seat with my hand. That kept messing up the profile selection. It took us two swaps for it to get back to picking the right profile.

So there you have it. Clever use of existing sensors to add useful features to the cars. Well done Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: Transformer
I did a bunch of tests today to figure out how our driver selection has become perfect (can't remember the last time it made a mistake).
Great experimentation!

What happens if the shorter driver's profile is set to Easy Entry (so the taller driver avoids the Star Wars trash compactor), given that Easy Entry moves the seat before it can weigh the driver?

Does it move the seat to Easy Entry if the shorter driver's phone connects first, then switch to the other profile when the taller driver sits in the seat?

This is the sequence which annoys us the most:
  1. Driver and passenger get in the car, both having phones placed in the charging dock.
  2. Driver drives some nonzero distance.
  3. Car is parked, driver exits the vehicle taking their phone with them (passenger stays).
  4. Some time passes
  5. Driver returns to the vehicle.
  6. Upon opening the driver's door from the outside, the car sets the profile to the PASSENGER's profile. :mad:

It's maddening. The car has the sensor and profile data to recognize that the passenger stayed put in the passenger seat, and that setting the driving profile to that passenger's profile is the wrong thing to do.:mad:

This is the sequence which annoys us the most:
  1. Driver and passenger get in the car, both having phones placed in the charging dock.
  2. Driver drives some nonzero distance.
  3. Car is parked, driver exits the vehicle taking their phone with them (passenger stays).
  4. Some time passes
  5. Driver returns to the vehicle.
  6. Upon opening the driver's door from the outside, the car sets the profile to the PASSENGER's profile. :mad:

It's maddening. The car has the sensor and profile data to recognize that the passenger stayed put in the passenger seat, and that setting the driving profile to that passenger's profile is the wrong thing to do.:mad:
Passenger could quickly and easily select your profile before you enter the car......problem solved. This does not have to be maddening.

Great experimentation!

What happens if the shorter driver's profile is set to Easy Entry (so the taller driver avoids the Star Wars trash compactor), given that Easy Entry moves the seat before it can weigh the driver?

Does it move the seat to Easy Entry if the shorter driver's phone connects first, then switch to the other profile when the taller driver sits in the seat?

I found that it no longer matters which phone or key card opens the door. It solely relies on the driver weight so it gets it right every time.

As with Easy Entry, it's always in Easy Entry mode before you enter the car (it's a setting somewhere that ensures this). Once you sit in the car and press the brake pedal, it will switch to the correct profile.

I found that it no longer matters which phone or key card opens the door. It solely relies on the driver weight so it gets it right every time.

As with Easy Entry, it's always in Easy Entry mode before you enter the car (it's a setting somewhere that ensures this). Once you sit in the car and press the brake pedal, it will switch to the correct profile.
Wouldn’t work for me. I’m 6’4” and my wife is 5’1”, so the seat wouldn’t have a chance to detect my weight because it’s impossible to get in the car unless the profile is changed manually.

Wouldn’t work for me. I’m 6’4” and my wife is 5’1”, so the seat wouldn’t have a chance to detect my weight because it’s impossible to get in the car unless the profile is changed manually.
Easy entry is meant to be configured to accommodate the tallest/largest driver. Mine is set to move the seat all the way back and steering wheel all the way up and towards the dash. With that setting, I can’t understand why you would have a problem. Every time you get in the car, it’ll br spacious. Regardless of whom was sitting there before

I think this conclusion is very premature.

My seat starts moving the moment I open the door if it's not already set to my profile. Has nothing to do whatsoever with sitting in the seat (nor would that work for me at all as I physically CAN'T sit in the seat when it's in my wife's driving position.

Reactions: Level 1
I think this conclusion is very premature.

My seat starts moving the moment I open the door if it's not already set to my profile. Has nothing to do whatsoever with sitting in the seat (nor would that work for me at all as I physically CAN'T sit in the seat when it's in my wife's driving position.
Assuming there isn't something wrong with your car, I think your car isn't setup correctly. I can't tell you what the issue is but below is how my car behaves and how I expect a feature like Easy Entry to behave:
  • Easy Entry is meant to be automatically activated just before getting into the car, and right before getting out, so the driver has the most available space when getting in and out.
  • After the driver sits in the car (which is already in Easy Entry profile), Easy Entry continues to be the selected profile, until either the driver presses the Brake pedal, OR manually chooses a profile.
  • Once stopped and in park, unbuckling the driver's seat belt will automatically switch to Easy Entry in anticipation of the driver getting out of the car.
If any of the above is not your experience, either you've set it up incorrectly or there's something wrong with the car.

With the above expected behavior in mind, the car has all the time it needs, after the driver gets in the car and sits, to figure out which profile to select, once the Brake pedal is pressed.

I don’t use easy entry as I find it annoying and useless. But again, the seat starts moving immediately upon my opening the door - the car is doing nothing at all based on the seat sensors.
Perhaps what I'm describing is only enabled when Easy Entry is in use. I'm curious as to why you find Easy Entry annoying and useless! If anything, it seems to the be exact solution for your "can't get into driver seat" issue.

Easy entry is meant to be configured to accommodate the tallest/largest driver. Mine is set to move the seat all the way back and steering wheel all the way up and towards the dash. With that setting, I can’t understand why you would have a problem. Every time you get in the car, it’ll br spacious. Regardless of whom was sitting there before
My wife hates easy entry and refuses to use it. What can you do, you know?