Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot as awesome for you as it is for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nvx1977

Unknown Member
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
Today, my commute from southern NH to Boston MA took almost 2 hours, most of which was spent crawling southbound on I-93. This would normally be a tremendously frustrating drive, but Autopilot makes it a breeze. My commute used to be the source of endless frustration and general grumpiness. Now I am completely stress free. It's been a totally transformative experience.

I'll admit EAP definitely is unrefined in some situations, where it does indeed feel like a kid going for his/her learner's permit. But crawling through rush hour traffic is, IMO, where EAP is near flawless. Even Tesla seems to think so, given that the nag interval increases dramatically from ~30sec to ~2min when you're stuck in traffic (for those of us who've had EAP for a while, we know that all nags used to be ~2min). Moving at low speeds is inherently less dangerous than at full highway speeds. The only situation that I disengage EAP is when someone cuts me off extremely abruptly. In those situations, I don't want to test to see if the car stops. It very well might, but not worth the collision risk.

Even Tesla seems to think so, given that the nag interval increases dramatically from ~30sec to ~2min when you're stuck in traffic (for those of us who've had EAP for a while, we know that all nags used to be ~2min).

Do you consistently get >15s nag interval while stuck in stop-and-go traffic on a freeway? My 3, both before and after v9, consistently nags me every ~12s on freeways, regardless of traffic conditions (including when I'm crawling forward at 5mph). Even back in April, before installing the new firmware with more frequent nags, I would consistently get nagged every ~15s. My 3 is currently with Tesla Service so that they can check whether there's something wrong with my EAP. I should hear back from them any day now, but it'd be useful to get some more data points to understand what the expected behavior is, in case they tell me the 12s nag frequency is normal.

Newbie question, but do you keep the car set to highway speed and just let it speed up and slow down as it sees fit? Or do you eventually lower the speed so you don't crank up the "gas" only to come to a screeching halt when traffic slows again in 100 feet?

Today, my commute from southern NH to Boston MA took almost 2 hours, most of which was spent crawling southbound on I-93. This would normally be a tremendously frustrating drive, but Autopilot makes it a breeze. My commute used to be the source of endless frustration and general grumpiness. Now I am completely stress free. It's been a totally transformative experience.

I'll admit EAP definitely is unrefined in some situations, where it does indeed feel like a kid going for his/her learner's permit. But crawling through rush hour traffic is, IMO, where EAP is near flawless. Even Tesla seems to think so, given that the nag interval increases dramatically from ~30sec to ~2min when you're stuck in traffic (for those of us who've had EAP for a while, we know that all nags used to be ~2min). Moving at low speeds is inherently less dangerous than at full highway speeds. The only situation that I disengage EAP is when someone cuts me off extremely abruptly. In those situations, I don't want to test to see if the car stops. It very well might, but not worth the collision risk.
Yes it’s wonderful and it’s the primary reason I own a tesla

Reactions: austinmichaeld
I wish I can use it more. But with V9 it hugs the right lane more than I like. V8 was much better it stays in the center.

Then there’s the issue of the F ing lane splitters so I can’t use EAP and keep in the center. They expect me too early left into the shoulder to yield to them.

EAP shines most in traffic jams. In scenarios where the highway is mostly empty, it's not as amazing. Driving in the rightmost lane on highways that don't have dashed lines where on-ramps merge into highways makes the car violently jerk to the middle of the two merging lanes. It's crazy dangerous when someone's merging onto the highway and you're driving past them. Basically looks like you're trying to cut them off to be a jerk or something.

Reactions: Frunkenstein
Can you turn off lane centering and just use the TAAC? When I'm in traffic cruising 5MPH I don't really need lane centering, just TAAC. Are these mutually exclusive capabilities, or required to work at same time together?

I wish I can use it more. But with V9 it hugs the right lane more than I like. V8 was much better it stays in the center.

Then there’s the issue of the F ing lane splitters so I can’t use EAP and keep in the center. They expect me too early left into the shoulder to yield to them.

I drive 700 or so miles a week and it's a game changer on long trips on the Interstate. It's fairly good in stop in go traffic in town as well, you just have to stay aware due to lane markings, intersections, etc. (It's really not supposed to be used in that environment so there is that).

In NC it works pretty well as I've noticed DMV does a great job of lane markings and exit ramp dotted line markings. In VA however I've noticed a lot of Interstate or 4 lane Highways don't always have the exit ramp markings and if in the right lane the car takes a dramatic swing to the right exit area. That is annoying as hell.

Reactions: Nocturnal
EAP shines most in traffic jams. In scenarios where the highway is mostly empty, it's not as amazing. Driving in the rightmost lane on highways that don't have dashed lines where on-ramps merge into highways makes the car violently jerk to the middle of the two merging lanes. It's crazy dangerous when someone's merging onto the highway and you're driving past them. Basically looks like you're trying to cut them off to be a jerk or something.
In California the freeways/highways do not have dashed lines where there are exits, but I do not currently experience what you describe (though I did in the past). The more recent firmware versions completely solved that issue, in my experience.

Regarding the topic of this thread: I agree that EAP is a fantastic tool in stop and go traffic on the freeway. It’s also pretty good in lighter traffic. No, it is not yet perfect. Which should surprise no one.