Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot at fault in this accident?

Is Autopilot at fault in this accident?

• Yes

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • No

Votes: 71 57.7%
  • Maybe / Partially

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Tesla driver, because driver is in control

Votes: 40 32.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh come now it was an interesting question, and i dont see any sign that the OP was trolling.
I wasn't talking about the OP's question. I was talking about the person who posted that we should just slow down and let the other vehicle in and if you thought the truck was at fault (legally, it was) then somehow you were also against their point. As if they were somehow mutually exclusive or something and you couldn't agree with both. This further illustrates my point of why their off topic post was distracting because you thought my response to them was somehow a response to the OP of this thread.

• Disagree
Reactions: DanCar
As I had mentioned above, my Model 3 on autopilot always brakes when it sees an intrusion into its lane, even a slight one.

Not with semis like that. It sees the cab changing lines far enough ahead which had room so the car wouldn't brake. I don't drive to work anymore so I can't get a video example. I have tried 1 to 7 gap settings and none of them work correctly for semis. My conclusion is AP don't forecast the trailer that will be merging in later. AP may slam on the brakes, but I always cancel AP so I gradually reduce speed. I don't want to risk it like this guy did. He either waited for AP to slam the brakes or he was watching his phone and didn't even see this.

Reactions: HighZ
As I had mentioned above, my Model 3 on autopilot always brakes when it sees an intrusion into its lane, even a slight one.

That's interesting bcos my model 3 does not. I was just on a trip a few weeks ago and on a main hiway (I-5) for trucks. My model 3 would move slightly to the left when a truck would encroach on my lane from the right, such as going over the bot dots/lane lines, but never once did AP/EAP hit the brakes.

Truck driver in right light signals intention to move into left lane. Starts moving towards left lane. Autopilot oblivious to the situation continues merrily along. Truck continues to merge into left lane and collision occurs.

I'm surprised this question needs to be asked.

Autopilot is not at fault because Autopilot is only a driver's aide and the driver is fully responsible for the car's trajectory.

The driver is not at fault because he had the right-of-way.

The truck driver is 100% at fault because he moved into an occupied lane. He was also tailgating the car in front of the truck.

Do you have any questions that are more difficult than that?

Autopilot wasn't at fault there, it was the truck. He didn't look properly and moved way too fast. A human might have reacted faster but the truck didn't leave enough space to react. Someone with slower reactions would have crashed too.
I would have called Shari back immediately...

Obviously the semi's fault, but the Tesla driver should have seen that the semi had wanted to change lanes for a while, and while he had no obligation to slow, the end result is not pretty when a semi wants to force his way in. As someone else noted, semis will sometimes intimidate the vehicles around them, by just forcing their way in. They know a collision will unlikely lead to their injury, so they throw their weight around. You have to be careful around semis. I hope the Tesla driver recovers fully.

As a new Tesla owner I’d say AutoPilot
Is not 100% trustworthy for edge cases. It just might do the wrong thing. Here we are building trust, but if I’ve never seen it respond to the current situation I’d keep on my toes to confirm it won’t make a bad choice. Other situations it has shown to react better than the driver, but that is no excuse for not doing active monitoring of it’s behavior.

Is not 100% trustworthy for edge cases. It just might do the wrong thing. Here we are building trust, but if I’ve never seen it respond to the current situation I’d keep on my toes to confirm it won’t make a bad choice. Other situations it has shown to react better than the driver, but that is no excuse for not doing active monitoring of it’s behavior.

hmm really? So any time a car/truck wants to change lanes you are obliged to get out of the way to let him in? And if you dont and there is an accident it's your fault? Seems a bit odd to me.

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd

May I ask what you would program AP to do in such situations? (if you were a programmer)

hmm really? So any time a car/truck wants to change lanes you are obliged to get out of the way to let him in? And if you dont and there is an accident it's your fault? Seems a bit odd to me.
In your scenario the accident still happens and your car is off the road being repaired - but hey, its the other guys fault so its all ok.
Slowing down to let the car/truck change lanes doesn't change the fault, it just stops the accident from happening.
The whole "fault" thing boggles my mind.
Realistically, if you don't slow down to let them in, the other guy is obviously at fault - but if you could have prevented it and allowed it to happen anyway are you really free from guilt? Or is pride so important?

In your scenario the accident still happens and your car is off the road being repaired - but hey, its the other guys fault so its all ok.
Slowing down to let the car/truck change lanes doesn't change the fault, it just stops the accident from happening.
The whole "fault" thing boggles my mind.
Realistically, if you don't slow down to let them in, the other guy is obviously at fault - but if you could have prevented it and allowed it to happen anyway are you really free from guilt? Or is pride so important?

Indeed, but the OP question was about fault, that is who is legally responsible for causing the accident. Sure, it would have been great if AP had avoided the accident (or the human driver for that matter), but that doesn't mean either AP or the human were at fault in the legal sense. Of course in many cases it takes two cars to make an accident, but that doesn't mean both parties are at fault (though they may be).

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Indeed, but the OP question was about fault, that is who is legally responsible for causing the accident. Sure, it would have been great if AP had avoided the accident (or the human driver for that matter), but that doesn't mean either AP or the human were at fault in the legal sense. Of course in many cases it takes two cars to make an accident, but that doesn't mean both parties are at fault (though they may be).
I was thinking fault as in a more general sense, responsibility and or unattractive or unsatisfactory feature. In my opinion there is plenty of fault in autopilot in this scenario. I'll try to word future topics more appropriately. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I was thinking fault as in a more general sense, responsibility and or unattractive or unsatisfactory feature. In my opinion there is plenty of fault in autopilot in this scenario. I'll try to word future topics more appropriately. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Understood, and yes, AP could have done better (as could the driver). But sitting at home watching a video its easy to say that, and we all think we would have done better, buy you never really know until you are faced with an actual emergency situation.

The reality, of course, is that AP, however good it gets, will still make mistakes, and while each mistake can be used to improve it, it will never be perfect. The (not unrealistic) hope, however, is that it will rapidly become statistically better than human drivers, which to my mind is a pretty low bar anyway.

From a liability perspective it's likely the insurance companies determined it was 100% the truck drivers fault. I can't see any liability being on the driver, and by design no liability can be on AP in this accident as AP didn't cause the accident.

From a defensive driving perspective its a hard one. If I was in that situation I may or I may have not let the semi trailer in. I tend to be against using turn signals as a request unless I absolutely have to. I prefer to leave them off until I actually intend to indicate I'm changing lanes. My preference for turn signals is "I think most coast is clear, and I'm going to go over" that way I know not to ignore the turn signal.

As to AP I think it ultimately comes down to a need to make a decision based on this distance between you, and the car in front of you that determines whether you give way to someone wanting to change lanes in front of you.

I've seen lots of people hit the accelerator to try to prevent the person from changing lanes, and that's really a-hole behavior.

What I want from AP is consistent behavior more than anything else.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
From a defensive driving perspective its a hard one. If I was in that situation I may or I may have not let the semi trailer in. I tend to be against using turn signals as a request unless I absolutely have to. I prefer to leave them off until I actually intend to indicate I'm changing lanes. My preference for turn signals is "I think most coast is clear, and I'm going to go over" that way I know not to ignore the turn signal.

I think along the same lines. I don't like it when a truck driver switches on the indicator while I'm overtaking. I never do that. I only switch on the indicator when I seriously intend to change lanes within the next few seconds. And, by the way, I always indicate for at least two seconds before actually steering, just as FSD does.

However, being very safety-conscious, I nearly always give way, brake, or change to another lane when somebody indicates intrusion into my lane. I act as if the indicator conveyed the right of way. I don't see roads as a competition arena. My motto is: safety first. I have been rewarded by decades of accident-free driving (and low insurance premiums). I pay for it by sacrificing a little time.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS