Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is autopilot expected to change speeds based on detected speed limits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BlueCruise in our Mach-E automatically changes the set cruising speed based on the detected speed limit, but I've yet to see autopilot do the same. It will quite happily set itself at 121kph in a 110kph zone (set for 10% over), and then continue this into a 100kph zone, and an 80kph zone... even though it has recognized the change in speed limit. Am I expecting too much, and this is just not a thing it does?

Reactions: jiehan
Hmmm. Both production AP with FSD Capability package purchased as well as FSD beta do adjust speeds as the road speed limits change. I think free/included AP only adjusts max speed down/lower, but won’t raise it when speed limit goes up. Do you maybe have max “speed limit” set to absolute instead of relative? (Different than the “set speed“ and “offset” settings, but lower down on the same autopilot menu)

Upvote 0
Hmmm. Both production AP with FSD Capability package purchased as well as FSD beta do adjust speeds as the road speed limits change. I think free/included AP only adjusts max speed down/lower, but won’t raise it when speed limit goes up. Do you maybe have max “speed limit” set to absolute instead of relative? (Different than the “set speed“ and “offset” settings, but lower down on the same autopilot menu)
In my experience, Tesla will adjust down but not up.

(This is with a FSD non-beta vehicle)

Upvote 0
BlueCruise in our Mach-E automatically changes the set cruising speed based on the detected speed limit, but I've yet to see autopilot do the same. It will quite happily set itself at 121kph in a 110kph zone (set for 10% over), and then continue this into a 100kph zone, and an 80kph zone... even though it has recognized the change in speed limit. Am I expecting too much, and this is just not a thing it does?
I have an M3 LR with FSD (but in Australia so no beta). Simple cruise control changes the limit but not the actual speed (hold the right, in Aus, lever down for a bit and the speed will change to the limit indicated). With auto steer activated it usually changes speed automatically when the limit decreases and occasionally when it increases. I haven’t worked out what the reasoning is for why it doesn’t always happen.

Upvote 0
It depends on the road. It will change the speed on standard roads where it’s normally limited to 5 MPH over but it will not change speeds on limited access highways and interstates.

I’ve only just started experimenting with FSD Beta. It seems to change speeds in more situations, as you’d expect.

Upvote 0
When my Y got the first FSD load it had ever seen in mid-June (10.12.2) one of the immediately obvious changes was that the displayed target speed (paired with MAX) when operating in automation moved in concert with the system's opinion of the current speed limit in cases where it did not under the pre-FSD firmware I'd been running. That opinion seemed formed of some combination of clues from a database (presumably part of the map package) and actual sign reading. Further, the target speed was adjustable by scroll wheel over a broader range and in more circumstances than for the firmware I ran before FSD beta.

My biggest gripe is that the deceleration rate it uses when it adjusts down for a lowered speed targe, whether from a database, sign reading, or user scroll wheel is so gentle that I am routinely well above the speed limit at the moment I pass the sign lowering it, and stay too far above for too long after.

By contrast, the acceleration it uses to climb toward a target revised upward is much brisker.

Reactions: jiehan
Upvote 1
Basic autopilot does not adjust to speed limit changes. You need EAP or FSD for that. With basic AP, you can either tap the speed limit sign on the display or hold down the right stalk to reset your speed based on the current limit.

Upvote 0
Basic autopilot does not adjust to speed limit changes. You need EAP or FSD for that. With basic AP, you can either tap the speed limit sign on the display or hold down the right stalk to reset your speed based on the current limit.
I paid the 'FSD capable' tax, I should have eap right? Maybe theres some setting I cant find, but I've tried a few times and its yet to adjust speed.

Upvote 0
I paid the 'FSD capable' tax, I should have eap right? Maybe theres some setting I cant find, but I've tried a few times and its yet to adjust speed.
Assuming your car is of recent vintage, you will have EAP only if you paid for the EAP software license. Look at the software page on your car display. If it doesn't say that you have EAP, then you don't have EAP. It's not sufficient to just have the FSD capable hardware.

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks all! What I‘ve got is that it may or may not be expected to work, for vague or unknown reasons. :/

Unfortunate in that the car is aware of the speed limit change, but does nothing to alter the cruise speed, at least for me and where I’m driving.

Upvote 0
I have the FSD beta. It certainly displays what it thinks is the speed limit, but when it is lowered, it very slowly glides down - could take half a mile. Usually I intervene, as I don’t want a speeding ticket. Seems lame that it won’t slow down as fast as it speeds up. Also seems lame that it doesn’t begin this at the speed limit reduction warning sign either. Unfortunately, much of the road speed data is embedded in the nav system and at least around here, wrong half the time. (Like 25 or 35 in a 55 wrong). I have one spot where the speed limit leaving a town is increased from 25 to 55 with a sign. It starts to accelerate, but within a few seconds it resets the limit to the imaginary 35mph that the nav system likes, with no related sign at all. No way for Tesla to fix this, and I have tried numerous times. They blame their data sources, but won’t/can’t say what the source is or how to fix it.

Upvote 0
I have the FSD beta. It certainly displays what it thinks is the speed limit, but when it is lowered, it very slowly glides down - could take half a mile. Usually I intervene, as I don’t want a speeding ticket. Seems lame that it won’t slow down as fast as it speeds up. Also seems lame that it doesn’t begin this at the speed limit reduction warning sign either. Unfortunately, much of the road speed data is embedded in the nav system and at least around here, wrong half the time. (Like 25 or 35 in a 55 wrong). I have one spot where the speed limit leaving a town is increased from 25 to 55 with a sign. It starts to accelerate, but within a few seconds it resets the limit to the imaginary 35mph that the nav system likes, with no related sign at all. No way for Tesla to fix this, and I have tried numerous times. They blame their data sources, but won’t/can’t say what the source is or how to fix it.
Wait, its based entirely on nav and not reading signs? Reading signs should take precedence… how else will it deal with construction zones?

Upvote 0
It seems to read the signs and shows the change up to 55 mph. It then drops to it’s imaginary 35 mph. I went over this with two different Tesla Service techs and the closest I got was that the car is reverting to the map based lower speed limit as it is “safer” than going the speed shown by the sign. Pretty crazy explanation. They also blamed the state DOT for bad map data. I contacted the state DOT regarding this and they say that the maps they have aren’t the best and shouldn’t be relied on. They also have no knowledge of anything related to Tesla. So??????

Upvote 0
Wait, its based entirely on nav and not reading signs? Reading signs should take precedence… how else will it deal with construction zones?
The car definitely reads speed limit signs. On routes that I drive regularly, if a large truck blocks a sign on the interstate where the speed limit changes, then car does not change the set speed. Normally, when the sign is visible, the car does change speed.

However, that is not the whole story. Many times, when turning onto a street that has no visible sign for a while, the car will assume a default speed. Sometimes that default is good, sometimes not. I have turned onto rural highways with 55 MPH limits only to have the car insist of driving 25 MPH until it passes the first speed limit sign 0.25 mile down the road. Residential streets in my area are sometimes driven at 30 MPH until a 25 MPH sign is seen.

I suspect that there is a default speed limit encoded into the system for certain types of roads that is used if the car does not see a speed limit sign.

Upvote 0
The car definitely reads speed limit signs. On routes that I drive regularly, if a large truck blocks a sign on the interstate where the speed limit changes, then car does not change the set speed. Normally, when the sign is visible, the car does change speed.

However, that is not the whole story. Many times, when turning onto a street that has no visible sign for a while, the car will assume a default speed. Sometimes that default is good, sometimes not. I have turned onto rural highways with 55 MPH limits only to have the car insist of driving 25 MPH until it passes the first speed limit sign 0.25 mile down the road. Residential streets in my area are sometimes driven at 30 MPH until a 25 MPH sign is seen.

I suspect that there is a default speed limit encoded into the system for certain types of roads that is used if the car does not see a speed limit sign.
Or in my case, even when it does see the sign, the default overrides it. It feels like they want it to be useless in a rural setting. Seems like they could solve controlled access driving with some effort. They seem to be trying to get city driving, but I’m wondering about all the rest. Rural roads don’t seem to be mentioned anywhere. And its very bad at them, at least around here.

Upvote 0

I’m in the Beta, so I don’t know if my observations apply to AP-only and EAP/FSD without the Beta. I’m also in a 2022 M3LR with MCU2 if that matters. Here’s what I’ve seen:

There seems to be three modes regarding speed limit signs, and they seem to be set per road segment. It almost seems like a sort of confidence level for how good the car’s map data is for a road.

In the first mode, speed limit signs are completely ignored. I’ve seen several roads act like this where it won’t see the speed limit sign at all. I suspect the people who believe their Tesla doesn’t read speed limit signs experience a lot of this mode where they normally drive.

In the second mode, it’ll read the speed limit signs but won’t react to them. The interstate highway in my town has a few miles where the speed limit is reduced from 70 to 60 mph temporarily for construction. It displays the new 60 mph speed limit and renders the sign on the screen, but it won’t reduce my speed like it usually does. The temporary speed change is definitely not going to be on any map data, and the car’s probably really confident about its data. I’ve also driven on the toll road here with a 85 mph speed limit. At least as of a few months ago, it was incapable of understanding the 85 and instead always read it as 65 mph instead. Luckily it didn’t limit my speed to 70 mph here (this was right before I got in the Beta). So again, it was very confident of the 85 mph limit, still read the sign, and ignored the sign.

The third mode is where it’ll read the speed limit sign and will reduce/limit my speed to them. This is most noticeable when it picks up a speed limit sign not intended for the road I’m on. There’s a new interstate highway I’ve driven through a few times this year that isn’t on Tesla’s maps at all, so it has zero confidence of its map data here. I’ve seen it pick up a speed limit sign for the access road, display it as if it’s my own, and limit my speed by it (eg my speed limit is 70, access road is 55, it picks up the 55 and applies it to me, limiting my speed to 60).

I also think there’s some default speed limit based on what the road looks like at the given time. I’ve noticed there’s a Minor Collector road near me that shows up with a 30 mph speed limit during the day and often times with a 25 mph speed limit at night.

Upvote 0
I’m in the Beta, so I don’t know if my observations apply to AP-only and EAP/FSD without the Beta. I’m also in a 2022 M3LR with MCU2 if that matters. Here’s what I’ve seen:

There seems to be three modes regarding speed limit signs, and they seem to be set per road segment. It almost seems like a sort of confidence level for how good the car’s map data is for a road.

In the first mode, speed limit signs are completely ignored. I’ve seen several roads act like this where it won’t see the speed limit sign at all. I suspect the people who believe their Tesla doesn’t read speed limit signs experience a lot of this mode where they normally drive.

In the second mode, it’ll read the speed limit signs but won’t react to them. The interstate highway in my town has a few miles where the speed limit is reduced from 70 to 60 mph temporarily for construction. It displays the new 60 mph speed limit and renders the sign on the screen, but it won’t reduce my speed like it usually does. The temporary speed change is definitely not going to be on any map data, and the car’s probably really confident about its data. I’ve also driven on the toll road here with a 85 mph speed limit. At least as of a few months ago, it was incapable of understanding the 85 and instead always read it as 65 mph instead. Luckily it didn’t limit my speed to 70 mph here (this was right before I got in the Beta). So again, it was very confident of the 85 mph limit, still read the sign, and ignored the sign.

The third mode is where it’ll read the speed limit sign and will reduce/limit my speed to them. This is most noticeable when it picks up a speed limit sign not intended for the road I’m on. There’s a new interstate highway I’ve driven through a few times this year that isn’t on Tesla’s maps at all, so it has zero confidence of its map data here. I’ve seen it pick up a speed limit sign for the access road, display it as if it’s my own, and limit my speed by it (eg my speed limit is 70, access road is 55, it picks up the 55 and applies it to me, limiting my speed to 60).

I also think there’s some default speed limit based on what the road looks like at the given time. I’ve noticed there’s a Minor Collector road near me that shows up with a 30 mph speed limit during the day and often times with a 25 mph speed limit at night.
The only time I recall the car ignoring a speed limit sign has been a couple signs in one small town where the number font is not the standard font size/type is not quite the standard used in the US. It's close, but obviously different. The numbers are a bit smaller and bolder than normal and the car ignores the signs.

It's kind of strange, but perhaps there's a NN for each speed limit value and these signs don't quite fit the training closely enough for the car to accept them.

Upvote 0
I tried this again this morning, on my normal route, where the speed goes from 110 to 100. (Kph…). It’s driving on the 110 portion in autopilot (or enhanced? It’s the mode where it’s a single blue line in the middle of the road) at 115. Speed limit drops to 100, posted sign, car does not recognize and still displays 110 on my dash, keeps driving 115. A while later, at another posted 100 sign, it seems the car does recognize it, dash displays 100, but the car keeps doing 115. I gave it a good 45s, no change in speed. Maybe I should report a bug? 22 MSP (fsd).

Upvote 0