Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot Just for Urban Highways?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's like Cruise Control or any other driver assist. Works well in some situations, not so well in others.

I use it quite a bit on country roads and back highways, but turn it off when things get too windy. Doesn't bother me a ton because I enjoy driving windy roads.

In fact I'd say about 80-90% of my driving is on AP and I drive mountain roads and country highways a lot.

Reactions: DrGriz
This is nonsense.

Unless there are tight turns, it's not even remotely sketchy.
Even on controlled-access highways, when I am passing a big rig, when AP detects the truck creeping into my lane it will do the equal and opposite, drifting me out of my lane towards the big rig, all just for fun I guess?

Even on controlled-access highways, when I am passing a big rig, when AP detects the truck creeping into my lane it will do the equal and opposite, drifting me out of my lane towards the big rig, all just for fun I guess?
Sounds like fun.

I haven't had issues with that, but I tend to be pretty alert when on AP and disengage early when things get weird. If a truck is creeping into my lane, I don't want to play guessing games about what my car is going to do.

Sounds like fun.

I haven't had issues with that, but I tend to be pretty alert when on AP and disengage early when things get weird. If a truck is creeping into my lane, I don't want to play guessing games about what my car is going to do.
I try to give it the benefit of doubt. But when other cars cut me off AP doesn't slow down at all and barrels into them full speed, that's when I have to slam on the brakes or crash into their rear end at 70 mph.

From the owner's manual: "autosteer is intended for use on controlled-access highways".

j8x2VzW.png
Yes, but you claimed it was specifically intended for "limited access divided highways.", and that's not what the owner's manual says at all.

I know it's a nitpick, but one needs to be nitpicky when discussing Autopilot stuff.

I try to give it the benefit of doubt. But when other cars cut me off AP doesn't slow down at all and barrels into them full speed, that's when I have to slam on the brakes or crash into their rear end at 70 mph.
Sounds like something is wrong with your cameras or something ??

I've driven thousands of miles on divided highways and the only time I'm out of cruise control is to change lanes. Been cut off many times and it just backs off smoothly.

Reactions: dramsey and DrGriz
Really?? On my car NOA/AP reliably backs off when another car gets into its 'personal space' ahead. Same for approaching much slower, or stopped, traffic.

Reactions: Ogre
Really?? On my car NOA/AP reliably backs off when another car gets into its 'personal space' ahead. Same for approaching much slower, or stopped, traffic.
It seems to do fine when the car in front of me is at a similar speed. But when it is much slower or stopped completely, like a sudden traffic jam, it will be a full on collision without emergency intervention.

I just think if you're going to have to slow down you might as well slow down instead of waiting until you have to slam on the brakes (a good way to get rear ended). Autopilot drives like someone who can only see 200 feet ahead. Not that big of a deal though, I just disengage when there is stopped traffic ahead.
Sure. You can drive how you like. After all, if you have to accelerate and make turns, you might as well do those yourself as well.

Nice to have options.