TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is Autopilot subject to dirty sensors.?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by kmtl, Oct 16, 2015.

1. kmtl

kmtl Member

I washed my car on Wednesday and Autopilot worked great out of the gate. But I wonder what happens when the various sensors are dirty... Anyone have an engineering viewpoint on this?

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

TACC doesn't work when the front radar is obstructed. So yes, AP is subject to dirty sensors.

TACC turns off abruptly too, so hopefully they fixed that in v7.

3. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Obstructed sensors would hurt, but I don't think a film of dirt would affect either radar or sonic sensors. Ability of the forward camera to read speed limit signs could be hampered by a very dirty windshield; think big bug (or bird) mess in front of the lens.

4. JMG

JMG Member

Thats what I'm going to tell the wife so I don't get repeated questions of, "You are washing your car AGAIN?! I need you to watch the kids!"

"Sorry Honey, dirt affects the safety of my vehicle."

5. kmtl

kmtl Member

Ooh.. That's good! Now come up with what to say when my wife gives me the "you need to stop talking about the car" look when we're out with friends. [emoji1]

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

autopilot won't work went that front radar can't read. so whenever TACC won't work, neither will autopilot. this is a very common problem. i was just at springfield SC a few days ago and a gentleman was there complaining about how the cruise control never works because it keeps flaking out in rainy and bad weather. so that problem still doesn't seem solved...

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

It's never been an issue for me, so apparently it's limited to specific cars. I've used TACC in heavy rain (the thunderstorm variety) and it worked without issue. Now in super-heavy downpours it will go off, but with that much rain you generally need to slow down quite a bit anyway.

8. DFiveK2

DFiveK2 Member

The autopilot doesn't work when it's raining if there is no traffic on the road. Must not be able to see the lines on the road. Driving home today I got nothing unless a car was in front of me.

Seems like the the range of the radar is about 100 meters... Picks up cars around that range.

9. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Sooo, let me get this straight. My $2500 AutoPilot feature controls my $100k car in rainy weather by following the sleep-deprived, texting driver of the car in front of me?

What could possibly go wrong? :)

10. DFiveK2

DFiveK2 Member

Well the autopilot will technically stop you before you crash into the back of the car in front that just drove off the road... Right? I can't wait till it snows... Tonight! Will report back tomorrow.