Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot Tesla's Only Most Important Asset?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think Autopilot is their only important asset. I think even more important, at least in the short term, is the charging network. No other EV maker or EV wannabe will be able to touch Tesla in the next two to five years because of the lack of charging facilities for trips. How many people want to buy a very expensive car they can't take on trips usefully?

My single biggest concern with Tesla as a stock is that while they have many short term concerns, if they don't continue to expand the Supercharging network at a good pace (which they always say they will do but then fall short) they will be more easily be caught up by the other EV makers.

Consider that Tesla isn't competing against "a" competitor, they are competing with literally every other auto maker in the world in both ICE autos and EVs. In Europe there is a lot more charging infrastructure that isn't limited to Tesla and they don't compete nearly as well as in the US. At least there, they can easily work with both the Superchargers and the other charging networks. I'm not as familiar with charging in China.

It's a bit like being chased by wolves. You can run, but at some point they will catch up and you will need to turn and face them. Best if you can get a lot of distance and build your strength before that time comes. Continuing to ramp up the Supercharging network will both allow them to compete against ICE autos in the short term and compete against the other EVs in the long term. I'm worried they will be hounded by the short term economics and not expand the network as fast as is needed.