Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AWD worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Subjective BUT in a car where it's usually buy once, cry once (At least until you trade up, lol) get the trim that future you might want. If you're already debating it, that means some part of you is interested in the AWD feature. Given the price cut and money is NOT an issue, I would buy the AWD.

I would rather regret a $7K savings versus however much the entire car cost in your currency.

Reactions: paul_gallagher
Subjective BUT in a car where it's usually buy once, cry once (At least until you trade up, lol) get the trim that future you might want. If you're already debating it, that means some part of you is interested in the AWD feature. Given the price cut and money is NOT an issue, I would buy the AWD.

I would rather regret a $7K savings versus however much the entire car cost in your currency.
This! My philosophy has always been get EXACTLY what you want and you'll never regret it - can't be added later.

I you can get AWD for the same price as RWD then get AWD.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
The AWD is now the same price as the RWD was a week ago

I ordered two months ago but that was when the AWD wasn’t eligible for the government subsidy in Ireland, once the price reductions brought the AWD under 60 k , the government grant kicked in and overnight the YAWD is about 14 k cheaper, obviously the RWD saw a reduction too but by half as much

Nope.
If you have the Gemini wheels on the LR it says 565km.
When placing an order you get a big 533 on the screen with 19" wheels.
Then, written in a small font below, there's a 565 ...
Still, that's probably not more than a 90 km difference, considering that you will never get 565 km (as well as 455 for the RWD).

Basically, my opinion doesn't change, that's not that much more range to justify the price difference.

In my knowledge, RWD has 60 kW battery and LR has 75 kW battery (that means +100 kg on the car, overall, that means more power consumption).
In other words, you get +100 kg and 70 km more range.... well
Not true, again....

According to Tesla the weight difference is 70kg
1909kg RWD
1979 LR

And the range difference is + 110km

I don't care which car anyone buys.
To me, getting the LR over the RWD at current prices is a no brainer.
But to each their own.

AWD wears tires much more evenly, so tire rotations intervals can safely be extended.
AWD gives much better traction on loose, wet, slippery or rough roads.
AWD gives quite a bit more regen strength.
AWD has quicker acceleration.
AWD will theoretically allow you to continue driving should one motor fail.
AWD provides more range.

RWD is cheaper.
RWD will forever leave you wishing you had bought AWD. :cool:

I thought you can only charge the AWD to 80% where as you can fully charge the RWD ? so reduces the effective gulf in range between the two ?
This is NOT true. Any Tesla battery can be charged to 100%. However, as a normal routine, I use mine between 5-10% and about 80%. Around home I charge to about 50% or whatever I need on a daily basis.
There are numerous threads on battery charging, care, and use. I won't go into it here.
Battery Discussion

Reactions: paul_gallagher
AWD wears tires much more evenly, so tire rotations intervals can safely be extended.
AWD gives much better traction on loose, wet, slippery or rough roads.
AWD gives quite a bit more regen strength.
AWD has quicker acceleration.
AWD will theoretically allow you to continue driving should one motor fail.
AWD provides more range.

RWD is cheaper.
RWD will forever leave you wishing you had bought AWD. :cool:
My understanding is that AWD only uses rear motor for normal driving. So not sure the tire wear would be anymore even.
Front motors are only used when traction limited.