Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is base Model S 100D worth extra 23K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

With the 75D getting improve performance and air suspension now, is there something more the 100D has besides just an extra 76 miles?

the difference in price is 23k for an extra 76 miles...so about $303 per miles

for comparison the Model 3 difference between base an long range is $9000 for extra 90 miles, or $100 per miles.

just wanted to see if there other standard options in the 100D that is not available in the 75D

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
It is a question being asked a lot now due to the 3 and 75D pricing. One thing the 3 310 range is based on 237wh/mi efficiency, the 100 would get 420 miles on the same 237, a 3 would get 251 miles based on the same 295 wh/mi the 100 is EPA at, just saying.

Higher charger, air suspension, two screens, but if comparing a similar spec 75D to a 100D then the argument is hard to justify unless a faster onboard charger is key to your routines?

Now a used 100D next year at say $8,000 above a new 75D of similar spec/colour we could be talking.

Is their any inventory 100D doing the rounds right now?

Nope - it's just miles. Important depending on your mission - or not. If you regularly need to traverse a 150 mile distance in the dead of winter in a far northern state - you'll find that range useful when the range degradation that occurs at sub zero temperatures hits you.

Reactions: PJFW8
There are lots of situations where the 75 doesn't have enough range. Heck I have an 85 and there have been a number of times I'd really like another 70 miles of range. The "Is it worth it" depends on your situation, both how much money you can afford to spend on a car, and how often you think you'd be in such a situation, as well as your tolerance for stressing about your range.

There seem to be a number of people who its worth it for.

...just wanted to see if there other standard options in the 100D that is not available in the 75D

To be fair, the 100D includes the high-amperage charger, unlike the 75D (though some in Europe have stated that their spec sheet shows it being included in their 75D).

That being said, I am in full agreement with you that $23,000 for 25kWh more battery is ridiculous. It used to cost an extra $10,000 for the S85 over the S60--the same 25kWh increase.

Hi all,

With the 75D getting improve performance and air suspension now, is there something more the 100D has besides just an extra 76 miles?

the difference in price is 23k for an extra 76 miles...so about $303 per miles

for comparison the Model 3 difference between base an long range is $9000 for extra 90 miles, or $100 per miles.

just wanted to see if there other standard options in the 100D that is not available in the 75D

The 100 will also supercharge faster than the 75, if that matters to you...

Compared to our S P85 (which has around 250 miles of rated range), our S P100D is a huge difference on road trips. For our most frequent trip, we can completely skip the supercharger we had to stop at with the S P85. And for our other trip, we eliminated the first supercharger stop - and only had to stop once, instead of twice, on the trip.

So for road trips, you'll probably save about 15 minutes with the longer range, compared to a 75 - because you can drive further before the first charging stop.

Plus, with the longer range, we have more confidence to stay at desired highway speeds - rather than having to closely monitor charge level and speeds with our S P85.

Compared to our S P85 (which has around 250 miles of rated range), our S P100D is a huge difference on road trips. For our most frequent trip, we can completely skip the supercharger we had to stop at with the S P85. And for our other trip, we eliminated the first supercharger stop - and only had to stop once, instead of twice, on the trip.

So for road trips, you'll probably save about 15 minutes with the longer range, compared to a 75 - because you can drive further before the first charging stop.

Plus, with the longer range, we have more confidence to stay at desired highway speeds - rather than having to closely monitor charge level and speeds with our S P85.

Drove between 75-100 mph on my last road trip and could have skipped a supercharger if I wanted to. My wife's bladder had other ideas :)

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Once I discovered that the 100 wouldn't actually let me make use of 300 miles on a single charge reliably (elevation changes, etc.), it wasn't worthwhile for me. My most frequent "long" trip that wouldn't otherwise require a charge was LA to San Diego and back. But looking at the 100 realistically, it was still going to require a charge, so I didn't see the point. Potential miles don't necessarily result in fewer trips to the charging station.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Range doesn't necessarily mean fewer stops once you pass a certain threshold. But the larger capacity battery could potentially mean faster charging for the range you actually need. Since charging speed slows the closer you get to full, I wonder what the difference is in total travel time if the charge time is faster. Has anyone actually tested this? I saw Bjorn at one point tested driving speeds with the same car, but I wonder what total travel time for a 500 mile trip would be in a 75 vs 100. Negligible? A few minutes?

Range doesn't necessarily mean fewer stops once you pass a certain threshold. But the larger capacity battery could potentially mean faster charging for the range you actually need. Since charging speed slows the closer you get to full, I wonder what the difference is in total travel time if the charge time is faster. Has anyone actually tested this? I saw Bjorn at one point tested driving speeds with the same car, but I wonder what total travel time for a 500 mile trip would be in a 75 vs 100. Negligible? A few minutes?
Probably something like 15 minutes, if there's good supercharger coverage. If the supercharger coverage is spotty, you might have to charge the 75 over 70%, which is much slower and will skew things in favour of the 100.

After having driven an X100D 5000 miles now, including a 2000 mile roadtrip, I don't think I would pay for the range upgrade again. It's just too easy. I'm not getting any "early adopter"-feeling at all... :p (I haven't tried towing yet, though.)

Probably something like 15 minutes, if there's good supercharger coverage. If the supercharger coverage is spotty, you might have to charge the 75 over 70%, which is much slower and will skew things in favour of the 100.

After having driven an X100D 5000 miles now, including a 2000 mile roadtrip, I don't think I would pay for the range upgrade again. It's just too easy. I'm not getting any "early adopter"-feeling at all... :p (I haven't tried towing yet, though.)

If the new 75s are shipping with 85 batteries, this will end up not mattering too.

Have there been any more confirmations of that since the vehicles in Norway? Has anyone taken delivery of a new 75 in the last couple weeks?

Why do you say you wouldn't pay for upgraded range again?...when you say easy---do you mean The supercharger network?
Yeah. I haven't had any range anxiety yet, where there are superchargers. The only taste of range anxiety I've gotten was one supercharger hop, where I needed to drive 240 miles. (Northern Sweden isn't fully covered yet.) I charged to 95% and arrived with 7%. But the whole way, the car was telling me to drive slower. (It started out telling me I'd have 15% at arrival, which is why I didn't charge to 100%.)

If I'd had a 75, I would have needed to charge for maybe two hours at 11 kW. And how much did those two hours saved cost me?

Where there was ample supercharging, the driving went more like this:

1. Start out at supercharger with 70%.
2. Drive 1.5 hours at 75 mph
3. Arrive at supercharger with 30%, plug in.
4. Go to the restroom.
5. Buy something to eat or drink. (Often just to pay for using the restroom.)
6. Get in the car, see that the battery is almost at 70%.
7. Restock the cup holders with soda cans from the cooler.
8. Fiddle with the navigation. Enter the next supercharger along the way, and consider whether you want to skip it or not. (Requiring a longer wait.) Decide not to skip it.
9. Unplug the car and get back on the road.

Just completely undramatic. o_O

Last edited:
Not worth it unless you really need the extra miles, which is becoming increasingly rare as the SC network expands.

It was a much more difficult proposition when it was also much faster than the 75D. I agonized for a while before my wife put my out of my misery by forbidden the more expensive option...

I also was told by someone who recently had their 75 kWh battery replaced by their insurance company that Tesla charged the insurance company $24,000 for an entire brand new 75 kWh battery (not swap or trade in)! Yet Tesla charges $23,000 to upgrade a 75D to a 100D.