Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Battery 1070394-00-A is V2 even if car made Aug 2015?!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are referring to the generations of batteries (-A, -B etc.) then it is most definitely a "thing". Tesla has been incrementally improving all aspects of the car (including the battery pack) over time, which is fine... unless you find yourself with older hardware on a newer car. For example, the first generation A-pack battery is limited to 90 kW Supercharging speed. Not a huge deal (to most) but Tesla had already moved on to B-packs in late 2012/early 2013. My early 2013 came with an A-pack while cars delivered before me were receiving B's, but I was pretty close to the time of the incremental improvement. A 2015 car with an A-pack sounds very suspect.

It's not the same thing directly, but it looks like the same thing happened. The difference here is that there really isn't a V1-V2-V3 P90DL. That was a construct of the 662HP thread and it is a very confusing way to describe what is happening. It directly leads to the confusion that we see here in this thread.

If you are referring to the generations of batteries (-A, -B etc.) then it is most definitely a "thing". Tesla has been incrementally improving all aspects of the car (including the battery pack) over time, which is fine... unless you find yourself with older hardware on a newer car. For example, the first generation A-pack battery is limited to 90 kW Supercharging speed. Not a huge deal (to most) but Tesla had already moved on to B-packs in late 2012/early 2013. My early 2013 came with an A-pack while cars delivered before me were receiving B's, but I was pretty close to the time of the incremental improvement. A 2015 car with an A-pack sounds very suspect.
I just got my new 70D (software limited 75 pack) and the number is 1088794-00-A.
Surely the A can't be the old 2012 packs? Perhaps the letter is a subcategory of a higher category denoted by the number?
ie. 2A is newer than 1B, even though A<B

The "A" refers to the revision version of the battery pack part number, in your case, 1088794-00.

85kWh packs all used to all have the same part number, 1014114-00, but with different revision versions (A-B-C-D-E-F). Normally in manufacturing a new revision indicates a minor change to a part that does not affect fit, form, or function.

In the 662HP thread we have seen that Telsa have gone through a few new part numbers for the 90DL packs, suggesting more than just minor revisions. My guess is that they were updating the packs with 100DL technology as it became available.

Check the (sadly out of date) TMC Wiki post on battery numbers here.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krash
Maybe not to reign in on the party with my speculations, but I think the higher part number does NOT indicates newer pack. I would look at the serial number because your serial number is definitely smaller than my number on the header. Mine is T16... which probably means it was built in 2016 vs yours in T15 which means it is built in 2015. My 90KWh pack is from a car made between April-June 2016 right before the new switch to the new fascia. My part number is 1063792-00-A. It is possible you got the very first build and I got the very old build, but in almost a year timeframe is probably stretching it.

I think the "higher" part number compared to my 90KWh pack is because you have the P90D vs the regular 90D on my car. The P90D would probably require more current, thus probably a different part-number. This doesn't mean it's a V1,V2, or V3 pack or what not.

Again this is all speculation.

• Informative
Reactions: jerjozwik