Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is better to have Tesla do the solar + Powerwall or use a local installer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been on the fence for almost a year over having Tesla do a 7.6kW system with Q-cell panels + 2 PW2’s or using a local company for Solar.

The local installer will do the same 7.6kW size install with LG panels, SolarEdge inverter and optimizers for significantly less than Tesla.

This same local installer will price match the PW2 for an LG chem if I decide to go that way. The local installer can also do the full install in under two months.

As I understand it, if I go with Tesla I will be likely waiting 4-8 months for a complete Tesla solar and PW2.

Is the Tesla battery worth waiting for vs an LG battery system?

For those of you who have Tesla installed systems, would you use them again?

Pros for Tesla:
Best storage solution on the market at present.
Package deal.

Cons:
Questionable PW availability
Some concerns about customer service after the sale.

Pros for using the local guy:
Fast install with higher quality panels at less cost.
Battery system is available immediately.
Service after the sale promised in week or less.
Cons:
No PW package deal
LG battery solution will not support whole house backup
No guarantee the local guy will be in business 5 years from now.

Yes, It is worth it to go thru Tesla and have a single throat to choke. I placed my order for a 6.5kw system and 2 PW's back in April/May this year..... we just had the install last month. Finally turned it on last week. Purchase and install thru SolarCity/Tesla in NYS. I literally could not be happier. I'm on day 8 here after my final utility OK and system is now turned on. It was a journey..... originally promised September. Then notified it was slipping to November. Then early 2019. I raised a big stink. They pulled it forward for me. Install crew was top notch.... all Tesla employees. I got 20 325w panels installed on a single southern facing roof section and 2 PW's in the basement. They left my house and property cleaner than it was when they arrived. Complete install in about 7 hours. Crew of 8 guys. They had to come back twice to finish up some minor things. I had one firmware problem that was easily sorted. I really could not be happier at this point. 2 PW's will charge in bright sun with my system in about 4-5 hours (PW's will ONLY charge from solar, not grid ..... if you have solar). App is super easy to use. It is completely addictive. I have replaced all of my interior/exterior lights with LED's now. The Good: in full sun the system kicks ass, charges fast, app is great, failover is seamless. The bad: I have a weak cell signal here and the system can only use internet/wifi to communicate. I'm fighting with Tesla on that now. They should have checked the GSM signal during one of the 4 site surveys they did. If I lose broadband internet i'm kind of screwed (which happens more than i'd like). Also, disappointed that solar production is very limited with cloud cover. I get about 300-400 watts in with heavy clouds. When the sky clears it pops to 4k+ in November short days low sun. I've done a couple of off grid tests and the clocks don't even blink and the modem/router doesn't cycle. It is that awesome. I'll try to answer any questions that you might have. I'm very happy I pulled the trigger and got in with the current NYS and Fed tax credits. I'm not typically an early adopter on anything. This was all about backup power for me. My house draws about .5kw for essentials (well pump, 2 fridges, LED lights, fireplace fan)..... so even without solar i'm good for 2+ days on battery. With solar, I think i'm self sustaining as long as we don't have 3-4 days of heavy clouds in a row. Keep in mind, i'm only a week into this, knock on wood....but so far very happy.

• Informative
Reactions: dgaultiere
You can only control and monitor your system through the Tesla mobile app. The app does not communicate directly with your solar/pw system... it only communicates with your system THROUGH the backend Tesla application sitting in a Tesla data center or public cloud or where ever it might be.

That backend application needs to be able to receive and send data to your system. This can be done via GSM (cell) or Internet. It will failover to one or the other if one goes down. I have mine connected to the internet (via wifi), and it is great.

HOWEVER, if my ISP goes down (Optimum here), then I lose the ability to control and monitor my system because it can't connect via GSM due to the weak signal. Supposedly, the system will continue to operate normally in this scenario, but I will not be able to get any remote diagnostics from Tesla in the event of a problem, no software updates, no visibility to system performance or remaining battery, and no ability to change settings.

I knew this going in......and very specifically and thoroughly discussed it with with my sales rep who assured me that the weak signal would be more than sufficient for communication. I guess they don't actually test it during the multiple site surveys you'll receive prior to install.

Losing internet happens here. Not frequently, but not completely rarely. After Sandy/Irene we lost it for several days. That would be a real problem for me.

I have been told (unconfirmed) that there is an AT&T card (phone) somewhere in the system (inverter?, pw itself?..... I don't know). What I need is a generic signal amplifier and antenna to put on my house and I'm going back and forth with Tesla on that now. The cost of a unit from WeBoost looks to be about $500. I'm assuming the card (phone) in the system will be able to leverage this type of generic booster. We shall see.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I have been on the fence for almost a year over having Tesla do a 7.6kW system with Q-cell panels + 2 PW2’s or using a local company for Solar.

The local installer will do the same 7.6kW size install with LG panels, SolarEdge inverter and optimizers for significantly less than Tesla.

This same local installer will price match the PW2 for an LG chem if I decide to go that way. The local installer can also do the full install in under two months.

As I understand it, if I go with Tesla I will be likely waiting 4-8 months for a complete Tesla solar and PW2.

Is the Tesla battery worth waiting for vs an LG battery system?

For those of you who have Tesla installed systems, would you use them again?

I don’t recommend Tesla Energy for your install. They were very incorrect on timelines for installing when selling me the system (told me I would get installed in 2017 with a Sept order, but got pushed to March 2018). System design took numerous back and forths with various miscommunications. Install day they installed the WRONG PANELS on my house. They had to come back a month later to fix that. In the mess with the panels, I didn’t notice that I ended up with Delta string inverters instead of the Solar Edge optimizers the sales person had said I would get. The inverters are not specified on the design docs, so I was out of luck there. Getting my PTO took an extra 2 months because Tesla forgot to push a button on the utility online submission process. I had to be the one that figured that out by calling my utility, Tesla thought it was fine every time I called, they said my utility was just slow. (My utility had my PTO 3 days after me fixing the issue).

After the install, getting service has been a huge hassle. 6 of my panels were not hooked up correctly day one. I could see the reduced output in my data, but every time I called, I was just brushed off and told they don’t worry about performance until the system drops to 50%. No one would agree to send a tech out to look. Finally after 4 months and many calls I had enough of a trend to show I was going to come under the yearly performance garauntee, Tesla finally agreed to have their techs look at my system remotely. 2 days later, they were calling telling me something was wrong and they needed to come out. Tech spent 3 hours on my roof fixing the wiring the original installers had got wrong. I was so frustrated that if they had not agreed to send out a tech that last time, I was going to hire a different solar company to maintain my panels and just throw Tesla’s warranty in the trash. I still lost out on 6 panels worth (1.8kW) of solar during the prime production months because it took so dang long to get them to even look at my issue.

Oh, hold times on the customer service line are regularly 1 hour long. Emails are not answered, so the only way to get service is to wait on hold.

Wow, this surprises me. Tesla designed the Powerwall with out a local monitoring portal?

This is one of the cons for me and one of the things that made the LG “dumb” batteries attractive. The LG system is monitored through the SolarEdge inverter software. So no random updates interrupting the system.
The SolarEdge software is still cloud based so purhaps there is no escaping logging in to a remote sight for monitoring.

Wow, this surprises me. Tesla designed the Powerwall with out a local monitoring portal?onitored through the SolarEdge inverter software. So no random updates interrupting the system.
The SolarEdge software is still cloud based so purhaps there is no escaping logging in to a remote sight for monitoring.
You can monitor them locally by connecting via a browser to the gateway IP. Some enterprising owners have also written code to allow them to control them directly.

Reactions: Shygar and Just4fun
Az_Rael, you said you could see the reduced output in your data. Can you please expand on that? I have a 6.5kw system but have only generated 4.5kw peak. Mind you, i've only had the system running for a week and it's November. But i have no visibility to system performance beyond the high level data provided through the app. Thank you.

In all honesty, the sole reason for using Tesla is the Powerwall.

I have heard of quite a few service nightmares and only a handful of people who have had a positive experience with a Tesla install.

My delema, does Powerwall justify all the other downsides?

I can't comment on using Tesla for solar as I used a third-party instead. However, using the third-party for solar and getting Powerwalls through Tesla two years later was pretty painless. If I were to do it over, I'd be inclined to go the same route to avoid the hassles of dealing with Tesla's customer service for the solar side. The Powerwall install is simple enough that I think it's much less likely to cause issues. The third-party I went with was fairly expensive (mainly because I have a slate roof), but very responsive on the customer support side.

I can't comment on using Tesla for solar as I used a third-party instead. However, using the third-party for solar and getting Powerwalls through Tesla two years later was pretty painless. If I were to do it over, I'd be inclined to go the same route to avoid the hassles of dealing with Tesla's customer service for the solar side. The Powerwall install is simple enough that I think it's much less likely to cause issues. The third-party I went with was fairly expensive (mainly because I have a slate roof), but very responsive on the customer support side.

Other than getting strung along for several months prior to the install with shifting dates, Tesla customer service has been pretty good. The crew that I had was VERY experienced in doing Solar/PW installs. They said they've been knocking out 4 per week for over a year and really have figured things out.....and this was just one crew out of my regional Solar City office. I think that competency and experience probably varies dramatically from regional office to regional office and is certainly a huge variable in customer satisfaction.

Tesla customer care out of Nevada has actually been decent. If I call in the morning I have zero wait time. The longest expected hold time I have ever had was 17 minutes and I just hung up and called back the next morning. The folks on the other end of the line are all US based, competent, and english speaking.

I hate that the system is so dependent on software. I really do. But so far it has been lights out reliable and highly intuitive (only 1 week.....so fingers crossed). I would have preferred "dumb" LG batteries or their equivalent but you just can't get the same capacity for the money. By going all Tesla including the install I don't have to worry about them pointing fingers at the solar provider, the electrician, etc...... It's all their equipment and they installed it.

All this having been said, i'm still waiting for remediation of my GSM signal issue. I fully expect Tesla to pay for a generic signal booster at my home and will keep screaming until this happens.

Lastly, i'll say again, this was all about backup power for me during grid outages. I've had one real 10 minute outage, and i've simulated a couple by flipping my main off. The clocks don't even blink....it really is that seamless.....which brings up another annoyance..... there is no notification capability that the grid goes down. So I could be running the AC, electric range, washer, and dryer and not even know i'm running on battery power. Drawing 10+ KW's my PW's will be depleted in less than 3 hours without solar. That's a risk I have yet to mitigate.

The Tesla app on Android will send you a notification when the power goes out, and again when it comes back on. But you have to enable notifications for the Tesla app to see them (at least that's what I had to do because the default was off). I get a message on the home screen every time now.

In a real power outage, it is possible that your ISP will be down too, but the PW works fine with your current settings when internet is not available. If you want to see the state of charge or power flow, you can do that from your LAN. The only thing you can't do is change settings.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The Tesla app on Android will send you a notification when the power goes out, and again when it comes back on. But you have to enable notifications for the Tesla app to see them (at least that's what I had to do because the default was off). I get a message on the home screen every time now.

In a real power outage, it is possible that your ISP will be down too, but the PW works fine with your current settings when internet is not available. If you want to see the state of charge or power flow, you can do that from your LAN. The only thing you can't do is change settings.

i was told that the notifications were disabled in a recent release because of problems/issues. I do not have any means in the current version of the app (on iOS) to enable/disable notifications. Can you give me any guidance on monitoring directly from my LAN? I need to dig into that. Thank you

i was told that the notifications were disabled in a recent release because of problems/issues. I do not have any means in the current version of the app (on iOS) to enable/disable notifications. Can you give me any guidance on monitoring directly from my LAN? I need to dig into that. Thank you
We got a notification on September 21st when the power company temporarily removed our meter. We haven't had any outages since but I haven't heard of any notification functionality being turned off. The app does show the outages you've had under Backup History.

We're hoping they add a feature so that our Teslas will stop charging if there is a power outage. Someone tweeted this suggestion to Elon and IIRC, he said they would add that feature (or maybe he just agreed it would be a good feature to have).

To monitor locally, if you connect to your router, you should be able to see a list of devices on your network. Then go to the IP address of your Tesla gateway and you'll see an animation similar to the Power Flow screen that is available in the app.

Is your local installer going to be around 15-20 years from now if you have a warranty issue with your panels then? I personally went with Tesla/SolarCity for everything and had excellent service. They installed right when they said they would and they got the whole project done in a day (panels in the morning, powerwall in the afternoon). You can email [email protected] if you have an issue that isn't super urgent. Their turnaround time is not fast, but they do eventually get to your ticket. I also had Tesla install solar (no powerall) on my rental house about 6 months after my main house, and that project went great also.

And yes, you can control your powerwall through your local network if you want, but the app is by far the better way. Is your internet connection that unstable? It is technically possible for the Tesla side of the network to go down, and that has happened twice briefly since I had mine installed a year ago. But in reality I don't actually need to change anything on my system on a regular basis. I use a raspberry pi to send all of my solar data to pvoutput.org (see signature).

I just don't see how a local company can compare, and I don't see how you can get an equivalent LG Chem battery for the same price as they are more expensive and have less capacity than the powerwall. I don't know about their reliability and software controls and all of that either.

The permissions on my Android are in the phone settings, not the Tesla app. Most apps in Android can be configured to allow notifications. I had to turn that on, and now I get notifications from the Tesla app on the home screen when the grid goes down or comes back up.

The permissions on my Android are in the phone settings, not the Tesla app. Most apps in Android can be configured to allow notifications. I had to turn that on, and now I get notifications from the Tesla app on the home screen when the grid goes down or comes back up.
There are also notification settings within the Tesla Android app that can be turned on or off.