Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is changing a phone the only way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My LG V30 has opened the door 2/10 times while it was in my pocket.
It's quite annoying, and makes me wondering if I have to change a phone just because of this problem.

Does anyone use V30 and suffers similar problem like me? If I was to change a phone, which phone works best for the Model 3?
I hear lots of good feedbacks from Apple users, but I want to stick with Android.

I have never had a single issue using iPhone XS Max. You know Elon Musk uses an iPhone, so you are better of switching

Pixel 3. 100% reliable in the 6 weeks I've had it. Literally not one failure. Haven't needed to reboot, toggle Bluetooth or airplane mode, or change any settings after turning off battery optimization for the Tesla app and the native Bluetooth services, unlike what I was doing with my Pixel 1 daily.

Reactions: iwannam3
The only times I have issues with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ is after either the phone OS or the Tesla App is updated. Apparently right after either is updated the app is no longer running in the background to connect to the car (the little tesla symbol at the very top near notifications).
I think that happens right after rebooting the phone too. Soon as you start up the app once the notification will pop back up.

I have a Samsung Note 8, got my Model 3 about a month ago, over 2,000 miles now. Never had a problem opening the car, but there's a bit of a delay connecting (like if I want to turn on the HVAC system before heading to the car), and this delay can be short or longer. Short is maybe 10 seconds; long is maybe 2 minutes and I might have to re-try connecting. Opening the charge port has worked perfectly 100% of the time.

Samsung Galaxy J3 running Android 7.1.1 (Nougat). Been using my phone-as-key for just under 6 weeks. Success at auto unlocking is hanging around 95%. I rate a successful session if the door unlocks within 5 seconds; multiple handle-pulls allowed. Failure is taking more than 5 seconds, or having to cycle bluetooth or airplane mode, or using my keycard. My phone is usually kept in my shirt pocket, which is the closest it could be to the B-pillar and mirror, assuming the bluetooth antenna is located in either place. Sometimes it's on my right hip. It's never in my front or back pants pocket.

I've ordered one fob on Thanksgiving. Maybe it will work better than my phone. Maybe it will be 100% like my BMW and Nissan fobs.

Samsung Galaxy J3 running Android 7.1.1 (Nougat). Been using my phone-as-key for just under 6 weeks. Success at auto unlocking is hanging around 95%. I rate a successful session if the door unlocks within 5 seconds; multiple handle-pulls allowed. Failure is taking more than 5 seconds, or having to cycle bluetooth or airplane mode, or using my keycard. My phone is usually kept in my shirt pocket, which is the closest it could be to the B-pillar and mirror, assuming the bluetooth antenna is located in either place. Sometimes it's on my right hip. It's never in my front or back pants pocket.

I've ordered one fob on Thanksgiving. Maybe it will work better than my phone. Maybe it will be 100% like my BMW and Nissan fobs.

The key fob will not work better than your phone does, because one of its limitations is that it does not support passive entry.

My thought is that because it does not support passive entry, it will work better. Having to push a button is fine for me.

My BMW fob requires a button push to unlock and lock the car. The Nissan is passive entry; just need to push a button on the door handle to open. Both have worked 100% of the time.