Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is changing out of passing lane still a thing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Several releases ago, starting when Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) was in its youth, the car would change lanes automatically to maintain speed and get by slower traffic. Then after a little while it would display (approximately), "Changing out of passing lane," and move over a lane, which seemed courteous and appropriate. This all was good.

We just made a round trip to Oregon, and I drove probably 80% of the way on I-5 with NoA engaged. As always, it moved left to get around slower traffic. But it never once left the passing lane of its own initiative, even when faster traffic approached from the rear. Did this feature go away? (The trip was on 40.50.1, since updated after getting home.)

Several releases ago, starting when Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) was in its youth, the car would change lanes automatically to maintain speed and get by slower traffic. Then after a little while it would display (approximately), "Changing out of passing lane," and move over a lane, which seemed courteous and appropriate. This all was good.

We just made a round trip to Oregon, and I drove probably 80% of the way on I-5 with NoA engaged. As always, it moved left to get around slower traffic. But it never once left the passing lane of its own initiative, even when faster traffic approached from the rear. Did this feature go away? (The trip was on 40.50.1, since updated after getting home.)

Must be the neural net learning how to drive from the Tesla drivers. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and Dr. J
AFAIK, it will change eventually, but will change faster if a car is behind you.
I have probably with exactly this. My car gets over to the left and sits there with another car riding my tail. Maybe it would move if I waited long enough, but not wanting to start a road rage incident I initiate the change back. With lanes all clear, I've never had it leave the passing lane until we get to where it has to to maintain course.

Not on HW2.5.. I call it the real “camp mode”

Reactions: GalacticHero