Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is charged scheduling broken?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Firmware Version: 2019.40.50.7

I have my scheduled charging set for 2AM. I keep my daily at 90%. Yesterday morning I drove out to do some chores, came back with 87% charge. I came home, plugged the charger in since I've always been told a plugged in tesla is a happy tesla. I went back out around 10:30AM PST and noticed that my battery was back to 90% again. Odd. After I came back home around 11:50AM ish, and plugged back in, I noticed that charging was going on even though my schedule was 2AM. The only way it would reset was if I went into the charging screen and moved it from 2AM to say 11PM. After that, it was set to 11PM. I reset it back to 2AM since I don't need to charge that much and that is during off-peak hours. This morning, the same exact thing happened.

Is charged scheduling broken, or is there some time range where it says it will continue charging for a certain amount of hours? I thought it would be between my charged scheduling and the time I set to leave 7:30AM PST (which is only set to weekdays), but that doesn't make any sense why it would of kept charging when I came back in the afternoon.

Anyone seeing the same or can tell me how this is supposed to work?

I've tried rebooting the unit already.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I’ve only set my charging to start at 2 am once, and it has always remembered after that. Tesla’s use GPS location to ‘remember’ the settings for a charging location, perhaps something is interfering with that? Several things use the same mechanism, including folding/unfolding the mirrors, the amperage to use for charging... Are you seeing odd things with those.

I have an Aug ‘19 build SR+ Running 50.7 and an HWPC to charge it, never had a problem.

Hmmm, I’ve only set my charging to start at 2 am once, and it has always remembered after that. Tesla’s use GPS location to ‘remember’ the settings for a charging location, perhaps something is interfering with that? Several things use the same mechanism, including folding/unfolding the mirrors, the amperage to use for charging... Are you seeing odd things with those? How reliable is your power, because a power drop will make it mad and sometimes start charging when the power comes back...

I have an Aug ‘19 build SR+ Running 50.7 and an HWPC to charge it, never had a problem.

I’ve had problems where the car keeps charging to 100% even though I set it to 60-70% when I use the departure setting. Like it reaches 70%, then all of a sudden its charging again and overrode the previous limit. I posted on here but people were just saying that I moved it accidentally. I since put the schedule to start at 9pm and don’t have this problem.

Isn't the charge time a start charging at/after time? And pretty much all day is after 2 AM... Ok after looking the Model 3 manual it is sort of that way:

Scheduled Charging: When you set a
scheduled charging time, Model 3 displays
the set time to begin charging when you
are parked at the scheduled location. If, at
the scheduled time, Model 3 is not
plugged in at the location, charging starts
as soon as you plug it in, provided you
plug it in within six hours of the scheduled
time.
If plugged in after six hours,
charging does not start until the
scheduled time on the next day. To
override this setting, touch Start Charging
or Stop Charging.

So it shouldn't have started charging at 10:30 AM when you plugged in.

Isn't the charge time a start charging at/after time? And pretty much all day is after 2 AM... Ok after looking the Model 3 manual it is sort of that way:

So it shouldn't have started charging at 10:30 AM when you plugged in.

I saw the manual after I posted as well and agree it shouldn't have started to charging when I got back yesterday. My only guess is that the setting wasn't saved for some reason.

I decided to set the time 11PM and will monitor. I drove back today and it didn't charge, so maybe something with AM settings is confusing the system. I've never had this issue before.