Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is charger order VIN reveal real?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have configured and am waiting for a VIN. As someone hinted in a forum recently, I went to the Tesla site and "ordered" a wall charger. A VIN number was listed (32###). Is this meaningful? ie can anyone confirm that after doing this the VIN on that page later turned out to be the real deal?

I have configured and am waiting for a VIN. As someone hinted in a forum recently, I went to the Tesla site and "ordered" a wall charger. A VIN number was listed (32###). Is this meaningful? ie can anyone confirm that after doing this the VIN on that page later turned out to be the real deal?
A VIN? A CIN? Wonder what this is for? Like on Amazon now where they 'warn' you that things have a unique number and can't/shouldn't be redirected to other sites for resale? Not sure why you can't resell something if you want to...

A VIN? A CIN? Wonder what this is for? Like on Amazon now where they 'warn' you that things have a unique number and can't/shouldn't be redirected to other sites for resale? Not sure why you can't resell something if you want to...
You are misunderstanding what they are saying. It's not VIN for the charger, it is a trick to find out what VIN your car is. Since Tesla has not been posting it in your account until shortly before delivery, this is workaround that someone figured out. Just add something to your cart on the Tesla store, charger, adapter, etc and it will give a drop down saying "part for VINxxxx" or something like that.

OP, yes to my knowledge this trick works and does give your assigned (at that time) VIN. Things change, so it may not always be 100% accurate.

have you had any paperwork to sign yet?

My VIN was assigned on 5/13/2018 and disappeared about 1 week later (when Tesla made the change to only display VINs within 7 days of delivery). I did the HPWC trick (you have to start the checkout process to see it, but you don't have to actually order anything), and verified that I still had my same VIN. I signed my MVPA yesterday, and it showed the same VIN. However, Tesla made a change today, and the trick no longer works. :(

My VIN was assigned on 5/13/2018 and disappeared about 1 week later (when Tesla made the change to only display VINs within 7 days of delivery). I did the HPWC trick (you have to start the checkout process to see it, but you don't have to actually order anything), and verified that I still had my same VIN. I signed my MVPA yesterday, and it showed the same VIN. However, Tesla made a change today, and the trick no longer works. :(
If you’ve got your signed MVPA it will have your VIN on it. It’s not going to change from there regardless if the website hides it or not.