Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Clarkson beginning to see the light?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it's so beautiful!
Zenvo-ST1.jpg

And hey, they aren't the worst...
ferrarifire.jpg

The comment below relates to the Top Gear episode this last Sunday. Zenvo, as you can imagine, wasn't thrilled with the outcome so they've pulled a Tesla and listed a series of grievances online.

Zenvo cries foul over Top Gear review of the ST1

Zenvo cries foul over Top Gear review of the ST1 [video]

This is pretty lame compared to the Tesla complaint. All of these issues really happened and TG conceded that it was a wet lap. The Zenvo complaint seems to be that TG drove the car too hard. With the roadster the assertion that it ran out of power was pure fiction.

Interestingly, the week after the Zenvo incident, Jeremy Clarkson talks about fires and mentions Ferrari, and Porsche and also mentions the "internet is awash with other examples". It seems he not only missed an opportunity to take a pot shot at Tesla but blatantly avoided it. I wonder if there were any conditions associated with the court ruling or if he just refuses to mention Tesla in any context.

This was published today.

Are Clarkson and May truly this misinformed or are they doing it deliberately?

.../ Autoblog: I recall years ago, you guys were very hard on the first Tesla. How do you feel about Tesla these days?

Jeremy Clarkson: We weren't very hard, actually. We were sued over that, interestingly, we went to court in the UK and Elon Musk lost. And he appealed, and lost again. So, the truth is, we weren't harsh, we were fair. It was a fair road test of that car which wasn't as good as ...

Autoblog: It had its flaws.

Jeremy Clarkson: Yeah.

James May: That's a way back in the Tesla evolution. I've driven a Model S. I'm fascinated by the idea and electric cars, because there's such a lot of good sense in using an electric motor to drive a car.

Autoblog: Obviously. You just ordered one.

Jeremy Clarkson: Hello? Hello?

James May: What?

Jeremy Clarkson: The world cannot produce enough electricity right now for laptops, and phones, and lighting, and what have you. If everybody suddenly buys an electric car, how are we going to charge them up? Seriously, there are already brownouts in New York, London. We can't have electric cars.

James May: No, but the point I was making was, technically, the use of a motor to drive a car is an excellent idea. The issue has always been electricity, because it's never liked being stored. It's never like being generated locally. That's the obstacle to overcome, and nobody knows how we're going to do it, but taking part in the experiment is worthwhile, because it's interesting, I think. [My underline.] /...

Source: We interviewed Jeremy Clarkson and James May about Top Gear, The Grand Tour, Tesla, and autonomous cars | Autoblog.com

Clarkson cracks me up

Autoblog: Amazing. Why do you hate American cars so much?

James May: Oh I don't think we do.

Jeremy Clarkson: Hammond likes them a lot.

Autoblog: I know he likes them a lot, but he seems to be alone on that.

Jeremy Clarkson: It's like the Porsche 911. I don't really hate the 911, I just hate – I enjoy taking the piss out of Hammond for liking the 911. So when he goes, "I love this Mustang," I go, "Oh, well it's terrible." I don't really mean that, I just want to annoy Hammond. That's what it basically boils down to.

Reactions: Matt125
Based on the latest Top Gear episode, I don't think he has. Disparaging remarks and demonstrations about EVs for daily transport (pointing to some utility statistic enumerating that UK utilities only produce 5% over the daily needs in the UK and thus would be incapable of keeping up with demand).

Clarkson cracks me up

This is the key to understanding Jeremy Clarkson.

He's just doubling down on his ignorance around electric cars, mainly because Tesla are the only manufacturer to make a good electric car with lots of range (and he fell out with Tesla over his Roadster review).

It'll be interesting to check back in 10 years when Jaguar, Aston Martin etc have brought out their own equivalents.

The above was posted about three years ago. At about 12:50 on that video it shows the zero-to-60mph times for the electric supercar and the Jaguar. The electric supercar does zero to 60 in 2.9 seconds. Pretty darn fast. Today, my understanding is that the Tesla Model S P90D or maybe it's the P100D with Ludicrous does zero to 60 in 2.7 seconds.

No, THIS web page says the P100D with Ludicrous does it in 2.4 seconds. And this is not a custom-built one-of-a-kind super racing car. This is a car that Tesla will sell you today, as many of them as you want to pay for. That's mighty impressive, that a stock car (albeit the top trim line of the model) is half a second faster zero to 60 than a one-off racing car built three years ago.

Clarkson is a buffoon.

Reactions: SmartElectric
In the latest Grand Tour Jeremy Clarkson mentioned Tesla in a positive light I would say, a positive comparison to a 70s Scottish made joke of an EV... You know, Tesla makes a nice EV, all the Scottish people got done was this. (They were in Scotland.)

The key to understanding The Boys is not taking them too seriously. I still think Elon would have been wiser to laugh off the Roadster incident. I mean, Peugeot still talks to Top Gear and they would have far more reason not to than Tesla. :)

[Cross-posting because of relevance.]

This channel – DRIVETRIBE – is actually created by the team behind the ’original’ Top Gear, Clarkson, May, Hammond and ex executive producer Andy Wilman…

The reviewer – who I believe is also a licensed racing driver – states that he would like to be able to turn the electronic stability control systems completely off.

Other than that, it’s a pretty raving review…

• Helpful
Reactions: rfinn
Thanks for posting that. And of course the one thing he does not like about the car is one of the things I like best: You don't have to be a race-car driver to handle it. And I suspect that I am in the great majority (for a change) in that I want a car that does not require me to be a race-car driver. I would much rather have a car that drives itself.

Maybe Clarkson didn't change his mind. Maybe he just got outvoted by his pals who, while they want to be able to control every aspect of the drive, also recognize the strengths of the Model S.