TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is clean Quebec electricity good for New England?

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by RiverBrick, Mar 18, 2016.

1. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

So here's a question: why would Hydro-Québec sell power to New England for anything less than the market price? New Englanders have the choice of importing yet more power, or building our own renewable energy base. I've yet to hear a good argument for the former.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

We're importing fracked NG and oil. I'll take hydro over those any day, especially if it's dispatchable. Dispatachable kW there means non-dispatchable kW here can be added here.

4. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Canada could go a long way towards ending its reliance on coal in various provinces if we re-oriented our electrical grid east-west instead of north-south.

• Like x 1
  5. Vitold

Vitold Member

Efforts on Beacon Hill to put a large portion of this state’s energy future in the hands of Canadian hydropower could place local energy jobs, affordable electric rates and power reliability at risk.

From what I read MA has few big issues:
    • aging local gas infrastructure, gas leaks everywhere
    • gas pipeline unable to deliver enough gas and needs capacity upgrades
    • Pilgrim nuclear plant to shut down in 2019
    • un-friendly roofs and weather for solar
    • MIA Cape Cod Wind project

And bunch of nincompoops who care about their bottom line want to block clean energy from Canada. Mind boggling.