TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Is console's mirror black finish a magnet for scratches?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by boiler81, Aug 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. boiler81

boiler81 Member

[​IMG]

Is the "mirror black" console finish a magnet for scratches? It looks beautiful, but wondering if durability of this surface is proven (MS or MX)?
    Looks like it could be high maintenance surface with fingerprints, coffee spills, and scratches.

2. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

My Leaf has a similar glossy black finish on some of the interior. I've never had anything like that before and I was a little worried.

It does show fingerprints and smudges really well, but I try to keep my car very clean. So far, no major scratches or anything, but I'm sure Tesla's version will be even better. The downside is they used that surface near heavy wear areas.

Might be a good candidate for some carbon fiber style wrap.

3. Runt8

Runt8 Member

No idea about scratches, but that is a beautiful picture. Haven’t seen that one before.

• Like x 1
  4. kev1n

kev1n Member

if its like the model s/x then yes it will get scratches over time. i would recommend getting a clear bra over it if you want to prevent that from happening

• Informative x 1
  5. boiler81

boiler81 Member

I've never heard of using the clear protective film for interior surfaces, but sounds like it should help. Did you do this on your MS?

6. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I put it on the aluminium door threshold pieces on my Model S.

7. kev1n

kev1n Member

i have an older model so i do not have the center console, but I have had loaner cars with the center console and most were scratched up, even a new one with only 300 miles on it showed scratches already(probably from someone wiping it down with a dirty rag)

i do have clear bra on the exterior of the car but it works the same for the interior. I know a lot of model x owners like to get the back of their seats clear bra'd since it is a glossy black finish

• Informative x 1