Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Corded Mobile Connector waterproof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
  • My solar panel company is installing Nema 14-50 in our driveway with permit. I did see Tesla has come out with 40A Corded mobile connector. Though southern CA does not see much rain, but I would still like to take precautions. Can this connector be left outside in scorching sun and occasional rain? Will be partially protected as its under the 1 foot eave of the house, but still be exposed to some degree of sun and rain.

• Is it advisable to get some kind of protector box for the connector? Generally what I came across on Amazon are like $200, too expensive! Any suggestions?

• Another option: Ditch the mobile connector (I preferred this as its removable and no installation required) and get a wall connector as that is rated for outdoor use? Can we connect this wall connector to Nema 14-50 outlet using a range/ dryer cord (Smart Choice 4 ft. 50 Amp 4-Prong Range Cord-5304490740 - The Home Depot) or should it be hard-wired? Any disadvantages (risks of fire/ water damage) using the range/ dryer cord?

• If hard-wired, will I need to modify my original permit? Will the nema 14-50 plug need to be removed? The solar company is placing a very sturdy 75A, high heat (due to CA sun!) tolerant wire to electric panel and I am upgrading the panel to a new 200A panel with solar installation. I could hardwire a wall charger, use existing wiring and simply replace 50A with 60A breaker. What is the process needed to be followed for this from City/ permit standpoint? I am in Torrance, which falls under Los Angeles County.
Advise and help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hi,
  • My solar panel company is installing Nema 14-50 in our driveway with permit. I did see Tesla has come out with 40A Corded mobile connector. Though southern CA does not see much rain, but I would still like to take precautions. Can this connector be left outside in scorching sun and occasional rain? Will be partially protected as its under the 1 foot eave of the house, but still be exposed to some degree of sun and rain.

• Is it advisable to get some kind of protector box for the connector? Generally what I came across on Amazon are like $200, too expensive! Any suggestions?

• Another option: Ditch the mobile connector (I preferred this as its removable and no installation required) and get a wall connector as that is rated for outdoor use? Can we connect this wall connector to Nema 14-50 outlet using a range/ dryer cord (Smart Choice 4 ft. 50 Amp 4-Prong Range Cord-5304490740 - The Home Depot) or should it be hard-wired? Any disadvantages (risks of fire/ water damage) using the range/ dryer cord?

• If hard-wired, will I need to modify my original permit? Will the nema 14-50 plug need to be removed? The solar company is placing a very sturdy 75A, high heat (due to CA sun!) tolerant wire to electric panel and I am upgrading the panel to a new 200A panel with solar installation. I could hardwire a wall charger, use existing wiring and simply replace 50A with 60A breaker. What is the process needed to be followed for this from City/ permit standpoint? I am in Torrance, which falls under Los Angeles County.
Advise and help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

There are a variety of EVSEs you can get that are outdoor rated. (IMHO the Enel Juicebox is the best) Tesla once had a HPWC that your could plug-in but those don't appear to be available any longer. That's the configuration I setup for my Mom when she got her M3. A 14-50 that she could plug a HPWC into. The big benefit I see to this is that if something happens to the EVSE you can simply unplug it and use your mobil connector (if you have a 40A adapter) until you can fix/replace the outdoor EVSE.

Even with my hardwired HPWC I installed a 14-50 beneath it. This came in handy when my HPWC died. I had a Gen 1 that was plagued with issues, the Gen 2/3 seem to be more reliable.

Reactions: tccartier
Thank you all for your advice. It so happened that I was able to buy a gen 1 wall connector, see images. I would like to use a nema 14-50 pigtail connector rather than hardwiring it so that I could disconnect it easily in case of emergency or as per need. The unit would be programmed at 40A Max using dip switch configuration. Is this advisable? Also, I can use and electric pipe or conduit for additional protection, somethingsimilar as seen in one of the pictures except for the fact that the other end will have nema 14-50 plug. Is this ok?

Attachments

• 20200907_110057.jpg
    20200907_110057.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200907_110039.jpg
    20200907_110039.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200907_114352.jpg
    20200907_114352.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20200907-071335_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200907-071335_Drive.jpg