Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Creep=OFF better?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
After 6 weeks of driving with Creep ON (old habits/preferences - from driving an automatic ICE - die hard!), for the past week and a bit, decided to try driving with Creep OFF.

I may just be reading too much into it, but, for the first time, I actually felt the driving feel to be the same that I experienced during my two test drives last summer in an 85 and a P85 - much more "stiffer" (or less "wimpy", if you will) and with greater feedback through the accelerator pedal!

I seem to have much better control in using regen precisely to slow the car down just as much as needed. I am also enjoying stop-and-go driving more than I used to with Creep wherein I had to switch to the brake pedal much more often.

And, reversing into parking spots seems to have actually gotten easier with my being able to exert just the right bit of pressure on the acc pedal to precision-guide the car into the spot.

One of the reasons that I started out with Creep for was the fear of pushing back too quickly in tight parking spots and either ending up in a collision or into pedestrians when backing out; but, this fear seems ill-founded and, if anything, I feel more in control now.

Anyone else tried to compare?

I've had the car for a little less than a month and just tried it without creep for the first time a couple days ago. I like the car better without creep mainly because I disliked having to switch to the brake pedal more often at slow speeds. It was a very minor adjustment to disable creep, and on an incline it requires a little bit of concentration to go into reverse, but overall I feel like I'm a little bit more in control of the car more now.

Never had it on. I'm a long time manual transmission driver and I find no creep plus heavy regen (aka "engine braking") to best emulate what I'm used to from a manual.

Many people, myself included, swear by manual transmissions as being "more connected" and more in "direct control" of the car. The Model S gives that without the hassle of a clutch pedal, and way better than even a dual-clutch automated manual.

As I've started telling my car buddies:
The only thing better than a manual transmission is no transmission at all.

One of the reasons that I started out with Creep for was the fear of pushing back too quickly in tight parking spots and either ending up in a collision or into pedestrians when backing out; but, this fear seems ill-founded and, if anything, I feel more in control now.

gg, this I do not get at all. The reason parking or any slow manoeuvring is difficult; is because of creep. I do not understand why anyone would want creep on when you have the option to turn it off. The only reason it exists with an ICE is because the motor is idling so when the car is in gear it has to (or at least wants to move). It is the product of what we are used to from an old technology. The new technology is better and creep off is better.

I've never had creep turned on in my S and never will. :)

I loathe driving our Sienna because of the creep. It's seriously one of the worst aspects, it makes it feel like it's brutally hard to slow the damn thing down and also feels very unrefined...

I've only had my car for 5 days, but have had the creep feature on. I like it. I don't think it wastes energy because when the brake pedal is pressed, the motor is cut out (i.e. you're not straining against a torque converter). I will try it off and see how that goes after I'm a bit more used to the car.

Had creep on for the first month, then turned it off. Like it much better off.

The only time I have had an issue with rolling was yesterday. Backing up in a parking spot I started to roll forward (due to the incline) prior to backing up and almost hit the curb.

I expect the slight roll back when going forward on a hill, but didn't account for it backing up. Hill hold (both forward and backward) would be a nice option to have with the creep off.

We've had it on *only* because we drive a lot of hills where we need "hill hold" and creep is a poor substitute, but a substitute nonetheless. When we get hill hold we'll turn off creep and see if our Wh/mile goes down. I expect it will and am hoping the overall experience of driving goes up as a result. Right now its too hard to control the rollback on grades over 10% to be as smooth as with creep on.

I never had the creep on, and will probably never put it on.

Driving with one pedal is so convenient, that I can't see the benefit of having the creep. Even in the traffic, I prefer to be able to stop the car without braking than having the car moving slowly by itself.

- - - Updated - - -

We've had it on *only* because we drive a lot of hills where we need "hill hold" and creep is a poor substitute, but a substitute nonetheless. When we get hill hold we'll turn off creep and see if our Wh/mile goes down. I expect it will and am hoping the overall experience of driving goes up as a result. Right now its too hard to control the rollback on grades over 10% to be as smooth as with creep on.

I think that "hill hold" might be very bad for the engine as it will be alway the same engine area that will "hold" the car and may overheat which could damage the engine. Holding the car with the brake (left foot) is much more safe for the engine.

I never had the creep on, and will probably never put it on.

Driving with one pedal is so convenient, that I can't see the benefit of having the creep. Even in the traffic, I prefer to be able to stop the car without braking than having the car moving slowly by itself.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that "hill hold" might be very bad for the engine as it will be alway the same engine area that will "hold" the car and may overheat which could damage the engine. Holding the car with the brake (left foot) is much more safe for the engine.

Concerning Hill Hold function.
There is a way around this, which is standard on some cars, like our Citroen. In this car the computer holds de brake on for about 3 seconds longer standard. As soon as you depress accelerator it disconnects the brake (faster than you can notice). This works like a charm on steep hills, doesn't tax your engine or clutch, and totally voids the need to quickly jump from the brake pedal to the accelerator with your foot. (you have 3 seconds to do so).
Mind you, this can only be done with automatic transmissions or automated manual transmissions.
It would actually be fairly simple for Tesla to add this function in their software. I'm sure you guys at Tesla are listnening in...

Last edited: