TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is damage to alloy rims from tire R&R or wheel alignment just inevitable?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by birdsaresmarter, Feb 21, 2015.

1. birdsaresmarter

Forgive my ignorance/inexperience since I don't usually have painted alloy rims, or at least none that I really cared much about keeping up. However, I'd be interested to hear from people with real first hand knowledge about these processes. What are reasonable expectations for avoiding nicks, gouges and severe scuffs? Is it just something to expect and feel lucky when it doesn't happen? I know one shouldn't expect rims to come back looking like complete curb rash but is it simply luck of the draw to avoid all damage from these maintenance tasks?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Not at all. I have had cars with premium and painted wheels all my life with never having a wheel damaged by a shop. R&R should be done from inside of the rim. Find a good reputable shop willing to stand behind their work, and one that is used to working on premium cars and especially alloy wheels.

3. 7racer

7racer Member

#3 7racer, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Ideally, you have two sets of wheels for winter and summer (assuming you live where that applies). Every time you mount and dismount a tire you risk damage to the tire (the wheels are generally okay if proper equipment is used). The only time you should Re and Re the tires is when changing them or for repairs.