TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is Detroit Lake worth it?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by damienvu, Jan 10, 2014.

1. damienvu

damienvu Member

Hi Pacific Northwesterns! I'm on a quixotic quest to visit all the supercharger and move up the board; my next trip will take me from Sacramento up to Vancouver. I can't quite figure out what to do with Detroit Lake though because it will take an extra 3 hours to visit on the way up. Anyone familiar with the area? Is it worth it? Any interesting to see and do there? Thanks.

2. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

IMHO, no. That SC is basically for traveling Northwest Oregon to Bend. It's on a reservoir lake in the mountains. There are a few things to do there but it's mostly about boating/fishing/... Mostly a summer activities town. Kind of shuts down off season.

3. deonb

deonb Active Member

If you want a detour to visit more SuperChargers, maybe visit Ellensburg on the I90 after Centralia, and take highway 2 via Leavenworth on the way back over to Burlington. That way you hit both mountain passes.

It will add a bit more than 3 hours though, and you likely have to stop in Leavenworth for an hour or two for a 1772 charge. There are some 70A chargers along that way as well if you have twin chargers and want to try them out.

4. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

If you do go out of your way to go to Detroit lake, make sure to do it in the Summer. The lake is literally dry in the winter (they open the dam and drain it in prep for the snow run-off) and there is nothing to do in Detroit Lake itself. The "town" by the Supercharger is literally a few small stores and restaurants. That's it. If you were heading out there, as the other reply mentions, plan to head to Central Oregon. The first Resort after Detroit Lake is Black Butte Ranch (we have a place there...about an hour past DL) and then another 45 minutes past that brings you to Bend (and Sunriver after that). Central Oregon is beautiful and offers a host of recreational activities, but not much in Detroit Lake itself unless you are going camping/boating.

5. donv

donv Member

I would stop at Detroit, and drive the rest of the way over to Sisters. It's a fun town, and a pretty drive. The next morning, you can head back and charge at Detroit again.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Is camping open on the lake bed during winter?

7. MikeL

MikeL some guy

There's a SuperCharger in Detroit Lake ?!?!! Wow. The more the merrier. I've actually been there once on a road trip w the family. Thus my surprise. We camped at the state park (summertime).

You should go there, of course, for your "quest" & while you're at it, go into any store or restaurant, buy something, & tell 'em you only came here because there's a Tesla . . . you get the point. I plan on doing that as much as possible this year. They don't need to know I don't have the car to charge, yet. ML

8. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

If you do, go all the way to Bend. Bend is quiet in the winter, like others have said, but warms up when it's sunny. Ellensburg and onto Leavenworth is nice, we might do that this weekend.

9. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

At least Bend has some winter activities near. Leavenworth is a lot of fun year round. It's a Bavarian themed with lots of restaurants and shopping. And, Jack Anderson's efforts have lead to several HAL2 chargers in town so you're not stuck with 6KW charging. Pretty soon, Route 2 will have a number of HAL2s on it all the way to Wenatchee.

10. Jon Eugene

Jon Eugene New Member

That location is out do the way for most in Oregon except those who live in Salem and south of Portland. I don't understand why it's there and why they don't put one in the Bend area.

11. Zextraterrestrial

Bend Only really needs destination charging, Detroit is good for Salem to Bachelor and back