Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is doubling the amount of SC's going to be enough?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this on the S forum because I think it's a relevant question for current owners. First of all, I'm stoked on the Model 3. Reserved one for my wife last night. That being said, have we done the math on this? How many S's and X's are on the road currently? Introducing over 100K new cars to double the amount of SC's just doesn't seem like it's going to cut it. Perhaps I'm way off here.

My last trip up to San Francisco was my first encounter with a wait at the San Mateo SC. To me, it seemed like 75% of the cars charging were livery/Uber drivers. You have to imagine that a ton of these reserved Model 3's are people planning on using the car for Uber. It's the ultimate Uber car for the price and range.

Maybe I'm just being selfish but what is everyone feeling about this?

He said double by end of 2017 - which in all probability is before a single Model ≡ is on the road. Assuming the pace keeps up, it should be OK.

But the real question in my opinion is - can the pace keep up? The growth has been slowing down for several months now.

Also, not that he only mentioned the number of stations. Not the number of locations. A big chunk of the growth will probably come from expanding current locations.

He said double by end of 2017 - which in all probability is before a single Model ≡ is on the road. Assuming the pace keeps up, it should be OK.

But the real question in my opinion is - can the pace keep up? The growth has been slowing down for several months now.

Also, not that he only mentioned the number of stations. Not the number of locations. A big chunk of the growth will probably come from expanding current locations.

So you think double (if it's possible before the rollout) is enough? Like I said, I don't know the exact numbers of how many cars are currently out there and how many we might see in 2018.

Definitely hoping for more locations, not just more bays as well.

I think the rate of growth needed to get to double is a good starting pace. But I do not expect the actual rate to be that high just as I do not expect the production numbers to reach the target mentioned (500,000 a year, was it?) on 1/1/18.

Also, I heard supercharging standard on every M≡, I did not hear the word free, let alone free for life. If it is not free, then the SCs will not be used for local charging as much as they are used today.

So yeah, in my own perspective the pace promised is a good starting point. As long as the pace remains proportional to sales, I think we are OK. I do not however see it happening yet.

Last edited:
If the livery is an issue, then Tesla should put a limit of 1 supercharge per day within 150 mile radius or something like that. It will prevent abuse of people who are driving all day within the city and supercharging multiple times. Not sure if this is against the ethos of the company since they want to diminish CO2 , but it would alleviate the superchargers for their intended use.

Totally agree that the rate of growth needs to be double or even triple in the next few years. Plus Tesla should put a valet/concierge on heavy traffic SC as sometimes it's confusing on how to queue up at certain locations especially locations near the malls/residential/office areas and people don't necessary have the best charging etiquette. People tends to just park and charge their cars there and don't even move it when it's done charging

I think Tesla should also ban Uber/taxi/towncar drivers from using SC. With the M3 coming on board, it'll be a nightmare...especially in the Bay Area!

Reactions: Bennny
If the livery is an issue, then Tesla should put a limit of 1 supercharge per day within 150 mile radius or something like that. It will prevent abuse of people who are driving all day within the city and supercharging multiple times. Not sure if this is against the ethos of the company since they want to diminish CO2 , but it would alleviate the superchargers for their intended use.

Honestly I think this would solve a LOT of issues here, even now. The Culver City charger is filled with livery cars as well throughout the day.

part of the current problem isn't just capacity itself, but some regulation around using the stall as a personal parking spot.

for offenders it should trigger the hazards on the car to identify the deadbeats and shame them into moving along rather than hogging space. And they should have some sort of limit perhaps in general...the busy spots can't tolerate the drivers that find themselves far more important than everyone else. So, the system becomes as efficient as the general population. Maybe during busy times there is a power draw limit...something should be done. Its getting worse in the high traffic areas for sure (speaking from the perspective of NorCal).

Not addressing this in some way means that more capacity won't be the ultimate remedy....just wait until 10x the population is out there with bad manners.

part of the current problem isn't just capacity itself, but some regulation around using the stall as a personal parking spot.

for offenders it should trigger the hazards on the car to identify the deadbeats and shame them into moving along rather than hogging space. And they should have some sort of limit perhaps in general...the busy spots can't tolerate the drivers that find themselves far more important than everyone else. So, the system becomes as efficient as the general population. Maybe during busy times there is a power draw limit...something should be done. Its getting worse in the high traffic areas for sure (speaking from the perspective of NorCal).

Not addressing this in some way means that more capacity won't be the ultimate remedy....just wait until 10x the population is out there with bad manners.

Spot on. Perhaps double the SC's is the correct number as long as it's regulated somehow with Uber/local charging. Can it be done?

I posted this on the S forum because I think it's a relevant question for current owners. First of all, I'm stoked on the Model 3. Reserved one for my wife last night. That being said, have we done the math on this? How many S's and X's are on the road currently? Introducing over 100K new cars to double the amount of SC's just doesn't seem like it's going to cut it. Perhaps I'm way off here.

My last trip up to San Francisco was my first encounter with a wait at the San Mateo SC. To me, it seemed like 75% of the cars charging were livery/Uber drivers. You have to imagine that a ton of these reserved Model 3's are people planning on using the car for Uber. It's the ultimate Uber car for the price and range.

Maybe I'm just being selfish but what is everyone feeling about this?

funny...as I was writing about my experience in my mind I was referring to the San Mateo SC station...its been so bad that TM had a person hired for that area to manage the cars. Thats the perfect storm location....selfish drivers effectively parking there; the only SC station on the peninsula; high traffic destination shopping with a Whole Foods as the anchor. There are always cars waiting in line there...if been there over the course of about 90 min and seem 80% of the cars in their stalls unmanned and unmoved the entire time...thats just BS on the part of the drivers.

They're going to have to do something because the Model 3 will take twice as long as the model s to put on 200 miles of range. Plus it will target far more apartment and condo dwellers who don't have access to home charging so local supercharging will will explode. At Model 3 that rolls off the assembly line will be like adding 4 Model S's to the supercharging infrastructure.

I agree. Establish a reasonable use policy. Within a certain radius, limit the SC use to 1 per day. It would limit the all day driving, within a city, yet not impact if actually travelling long distances.

This won't work as suggested. Just last week I used the same supercharger twice in one day. I recharged in the morning at a remote work location, but had to get to the office and didn't get enough charge. Returned to the same supercharger after work to finish filling up to the level needed for return trip home.

I think the problem we might start having if they build more Superchargers is the amount of people at one charger. For example if in MA, Tesla builds over 20 superchargers. What if most of the owners are crowded around the Boston charger or Natick charger. Although there are MANY chargers around, a select few will be very popular causing waits.

I think Tesla needs to add the feature to be able to see if the charger is available through the NAV and how many stalls are taken.

Can someone with a direct line to Tesla, Elon give them my suggestion. I understand that there are a few owners not livery who might at times want to use the same supercharger within a 24hr period, but if the intention of the supercharger truly is for travel those users should find other means to charge as well. There is no other transport system that provides free ridership, mostly because of abusers. If abusing becomes the norm, Tesla will eventually charge.

They're going to have to do something because the Model 3 will take twice as long as the model s to put on 200 miles of range. Plus it will target far more apartment and condo dwellers who don't have access to home charging so local supercharging will will explode. At Model 3 that rolls off the assembly line will be like adding 4 Model S's to the supercharging infrastructure.
Why will it take twice as long?