Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is driving dynamic of refreshed model X signficantly superior to model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For context, before picking up my Model X Plaid, I owned both a Model Y LR and a Model Y Performance. Model X is superior in almost every way to me and my wife. The Y is smaller so is a bit nimbler and able to fit better into tight spaces. But the X has the air suspension so is way more comfortable, is faster, has less road noise, and just overall feels better to drive.

We own both a 7-seater Y and a refresh LR 7-seater X, and I’ve driven both extensively.

They each have their place. Both the X and the Y are such a premium experience for those who recognize that traditional cluttered/Victorian car interiors are no longer the definition of premium (in fact traditional “fancy” interiors are the opposite of premium, bleah!) that either is an absolute hands down win. But I digress.

The Y has its place. It’s likely substantially more reliable than the X. It is a great car with great handling. It’s very quick acceleration.

But the X grips the road without transmitting every jolt and bump. The driving dynamic is significantly positively impacted as well by the yoke, which absolutely puts you in command.

I do worry about reliability with the X & not with the Y, which is affecting the driving experience in the X. Some have reported a shudder or vibration under heavy acceleration and I think I’m noticing that myself. So I’ve kinda been taking it easy in the X, much more so than in the Y. 😕

As I said the Y is a rock solid piece of engineering. It’s planted and doesn’t have all sorts of knick knacks like adjustable air suspension and falcon wing doors that might go awry.

Don’t get me wrong: I love my X. I hope it never has to have the dreaded half shaft replacement let alone motor replacement. But the Y is a great half price package with 70% of the X experience.

Last edited:
We own both a 7-seater Y and a refresh LR 7-seater X, and I’ve driven both extensively.

They each have their place. Both the X and the Y are such a premium experience for those who recognize that traditional cluttered/Victorian car interiors are no longer the definition of premium (in fact traditional “fancy” interiors are the opposite of premium, bleah!) that either is an absolute hands down win. But I digress.

The Y has its place. It’s likely substantially more reliable than the X. It is a great car with great handling. It’s very quick acceleration.

But the X grips the road without transmitting every jolt and bump. The driving dynamic is significantly positively impacted as well by the yoke, which absolutely puts you in command.

I do worry about reliability with the X & not with the Y, which is affecting the driving experience in the X. Some have reported a shudder or vibration under heavy acceleration and I think I’m noticing that myself. So I’ve kinda been taking it easy in the X, much more so than in the Y. 😕

As I said the Y is a rock solid piece of engineering. It’s planted and doesn’t have all sorts of knick knacks like adjustable air suspension and falcon wing doors that might go awry.

Don’t get me wrong: I love my X. I hope it never has to have the dreaded half shaft replacement let alone motor replacement. But the Y is a great half price package with 70% of the X experience.
would you say model Y is the car to keep beyond warrenty period and model x is the care to sell before warrenty period?

• Funny
Reactions: KidsEyeDr and DCGOO

Generally true. Though I think the shudder in the refresh is different from the older shudder. It definitely feels different, the Raven X loaner I had definitely had a shudder, and that rather violent, even at 10k miles. The refresh shudder feels more like the permanent magnet motor cogging which just so happens to resonate in the drive axles. It happens even on low and very low which leads me to believe it's not related to the angle of the CV joints.

My 3 will remain my daily driver, and the X is for long trips and around town with more than 1 passenger.

Generally true. Though I think the shudder in the refresh is different from the older shudder. It definitely feels different, the Raven X loaner I had definitely had a shudder, and that rather violent, even at 10k miles. The refresh shudder feels more like the permanent magnet motor cogging which just so happens to resonate in the drive axles. It happens even on low and very low which leads me to believe it's not related to the angle of the CV joints.

My 3 will remain my daily driver, and the X is for long trips and around town with more than 1 passenger.
Just sharing real world experience. 2017 MX 100D is going on six years old, out of warranty. Only service has been squeaky front passenger seat and FWD adjustment. I have had no other problems. I did have the MCU and Autopilot 3.0 for MX upgrade completed as optional service. All these comments about problems with the refreshed MX are making me nervous about my decision to trade-in my perfect 2017 MX 100D for new 2023 MX. Maybe I should trade-in my perfect 2018 Performance M3 for the Model Y? Something to think about.

Reactions: geometro

Interesting perspective on the shudder. I assume my refresh X (due next March to May per the app right now) would have the same shudder as my 2017 X because Tesla hasn’t addressed the fundamental design flaw with the angle of the half shafts.

I finally pulled the trigger on the N2itive solution so now will wait til they get the redesigned parts in October and install. So I’m very confident that my 2017 shudder will be gone. I hope the same won’t be necessary for the new X though!

Reactions: KidsEyeDr

Well said and totally true from the experiences here with my X and her Y

I now own a '22 MX LR 5-seater. It is a massive improvement in every way (handling, features, comfort, range, cargo capacity, noise). I absolutely love it.

Before my '22 MX, my '16 SigX P90D was both the best and worst car I'd ever owned: in 34K mikes, 2 hours at a Tesla Service Center for every hour on the road. It had disabling mechanical and electrical failures three times on the road, fortunately within a mile of my home or it would have been very difficult to deal with it.

The MX LR feels more like a jet fighter than a car with a smooth, absolutely solid ride.

I’ve had an S and an X. My best friend has had a 3, an X and a Y. I’ve spent a lot of time road-tripping in all the vehicles. The refreshed X is hands down the best car I’ve had.
I was very seriously considering buying a model S but then I was like wow that’s actually a downgrade—no auto presenting doors, no self closing doors, let alone seven seats option etc!

Reactions: RossRAllen