Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is driving from Sydney to (nearly) Newcastle and back possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next weekend we have a thing on at Caves Beach, just south of Newcastle. EVTripPlanner shows 402 rated kilometres and total energy of 75 kWh. So on that basis "The Homer" should be able to make it. But it would be the longest trip I've taken on a single charge and it won't be possible to charge at the destination before the return trip. So, has anybody any experience with this trip? I'm looking for reassurance. :)

A couple of weekends ago I did Dural to Sydney CBD, Sydney CBD to Charlestown, Charlestown to Dural without charging. Finished with 30km typical range to spare from 387km starting range.

18 month old 85kwh car, four people on board and overnight luggage, travelling at the speed limit.

Just take it easy on the climbs.

Two suggestions. Use ev trip planner app and also use the energy app on the car. Just plot the route 1 way and note your end consumption. Cancel the route and replot from opposite direction. Add together, and between the two you should be pretty right. Charge to 100 % before you leave.

Hi Homer, I hope I'm not too late. You'll do it easy. To make sure, make sure your tyres are pumped up and run the climate control on recirculate. A fair amount of energy is used on conditioning the fresh air all of the time. I've driven Newcastle CBD to Sydney Martin Place overnight and back without a charge to see if I could do a return trip from Newcastle to Taree without a charge. I had a P85+ that I could get down to ~180Wh/km and now the P85D gets better than that.

You might as well, but it doesn't make all that much difference really. BTW I did St Leonards to Peterson House in Pokolbin on just under 50% charge (25kWh) sitting on the limit in my S60, so I don't think you should have much problem. Yes the return trip would have used more but your extra kWh will more than compensate I'd think (weather notwithstanding). Edit: just realised it's all over by now anyway, how'd you go Homer?

Im doing a return trip tomorrow from the inner west of Sydney to just north of Newcastle in my P90D. I worked out that it is approx 330kms round trip, as i have a couple of appointments around there. I feel fairly confident that i should be able to do that. fingers crossed!

Im doing a return trip tomorrow from the inner west of Sydney to just north of Newcastle in my P90D. I worked out that it is approx 330kms round trip, as i have a couple of appointments around there. I feel fairly confident that i should be able to do that. fingers crossed!
You should be fine but be aware that you will use more coming back than going because of the change in altitude.

Range mode on, make sure your tyres are pumped up to the reccomended pressure (shown on the pillar inside the drivers door). Use a tyre pressure gauge before driving so that you get cold pressures. Warm the car using the app before you set off. Don't set the temp too high - heaters use a lot more power than cooling in a Tesla. No launches :( If you can top up in Newcastle while you are there then do so - melocomm has a 32A 3 Phase in Newcastle and there are some J1772s.

Drive at the speed limit and follow behind another vehicle on the freeway. On the way back make sure to set the destination in the navigation - it will warn you if you need to slow down.

I use typical range setting since that matches what the car can normally do. If you can keep the average consumption under typical and your remaining range stays above how many km to your destination with a buffer then you know you will be ok. If you are in doubt, slow down. Drive smoothly.

I drove 370km in my S85 with 4 people and luggage on a 29 degree day with air-conditioning and still had 50km remaining.

Have you looked at EVtripplanner.com? That'll calculate the power needed taking into account your speed and elevation.

Reactions: championi
Thanks Meloccom and Mark,

The information you guys are providing is fantastic. I really appreciate it. I will use all the tips you guys have given me. Being my first long distance trip, it's better to seek the experience of seasoned Tesla owners. So based on what you guys are saying and also ev trip planer, I should be able to do a round trip tomorrow, no dramas. If my projected range looks a bit suspect, where do you guys suggest I can do a quick charge? My last appointment is in Merewether. Mark I know you mentioned Meloccom, but I would feel like I'm imposing to drop in for a charge...

Ps. I have the car plugged in as I type, it will be plugged in until I take off tomorrow morning.

Thanks Meloccom and Mark,

The information you guys are providing is fantastic. I really appreciate it. I will use all the tips you guys have given me. Being my first long distance trip, it's better to seek the experience of seasoned Tesla owners. So based on what you guys are saying and also ev trip planer, I should be able to do a round trip tomorrow, no dramas. If my projected range looks a bit suspect, where do you guys suggest I can do a quick charge? My last appointment is in Merewether. Mark I know you mentioned Meloccom, but I would feel like I'm imposing to drop in for a charge...

Ps. I have the car plugged in as I type, it will be plugged in until I take off tomorrow morning.

The best place to see all of the charging points available is plugshare.com There is an app available for your phone that is worthwhile having. You can always message melocomm to arrange something.
I always have the car plugged in when I can, but make sure that the charge level is set to 90% or less unless you are about to drive a long distance - it's better for the battery. I use the app to set the charge level to 100% an hour or so before I leave home on a long trip. It takes about 1.5 hours at 32A single phase to charge the last 10% on an 85 as the charging tapers to almost nothing as the battery fills. Leaving the car sitting at 100% for long periods isn't reccomended.