Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Electrify America TRYING to Ruin EVs and Adoption!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, Tesla don't have the chicken and egg problem... they sell the cars, they know how many were sold in what area. They have feedback from the cars (whether we want it or not) that tells them where we drove, where we charged, if it was successful or not. They know where to invest. Others don't have that luxury,. and they have no revenue from car sales to finance the chargers.

Reactions: Exelion and unhyphy
I was looking into getting the CCS adapter and it lead me to many articles and videos about how awful the EA chargers have been.
I have read 3 articles on EVs that have been literally bricked at their chargers and this is only 3 that we know of!
One was the F-150 (F-150 Lightning Bricked at Electrify America Charging Station),
next was the Rivian (Rivian R1T Fried, Stuck to Electrify America Charger for Days After 'Loud Boom' While Charging)
and very recently a Chevy Bolt (https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/0...by-electrify-america-fast-charger-in-florida/).
All of them had to be towed away. The Bolt owner said $20k(!) in damages, and I haven't heard what the final outcome was for the others. There are So Many videos of people having issues with EA that I'm starting to think it's some kind of conspiracy by big oil or Elon. I'm struggling to comprehend why this is. I actually created a youtube video of what I have seen.

Then there is a new study from the University of California Berkeley (https://efiling.energy.ca.gov/GetDocument.aspx?tn=242517&DocumentContentId=76033) that says more than a fourth of all public chargers were found to be nonfunctional when tested. From the study: Overall, 72.5% of the 657 chargers were functional. A random evaluation of 10% of the chargers, approximately 8 days after the first evaluation, demonstrated no overall change in functionality. This level of functionality appears to conflict with the 95 to 98% uptime reported by the EV service providers who operate the EV charging stations. So does EA even see how big their problem is? Is it by design that they can't see the issues? The chargers in the study were primarily operated by EVgo and Electrify America.

It's just really sad - there is already so much BS that EV haters make up and now there is this reality that will really help make the case against EVs. I just watched a video by Stradman where is took his Hummer to MOAB Utah and had an awful "adventure" trying to get home due to all of the non-functioning chargers. It was 12-20 degrees F... This would be called a complete failure/nightmare by anyone else who's not a rich Youtuber.
Try and find ChargePoint charging stations. Their stock is doing pretty well. (Yes I hold some shares of it). EA is DOA if you follow the TMC podcasts.
It's sort of like trying to find a working phone booth in Manhattan in the 1990s and before

Reactions: aerodyne
EA was funded by the dieselgate settlement, it wasn't initiated because VW thought it made good business sense to roll out a charging network for the few thousand EVs they sell.

Pretty sure the settlement says nothing about maintaining an EV charging network, only that they have to deploy one. They might actually fix some of the chargers if they're frequently used, the repairs are minimal, and they think they could recoup some investment, but if they're not making money on it, they're not going to spend money on it.

Of course EA talks some game and says how many stations they've deployed and how much of the US they've covered, but talk is cheap. They should instead be talking about how reliable their stations are and what they have planned. Spending money to make the network reliable is not cheap though, and neither are new stations. You'll notice the expansion for CCS stations on Plugshare is pretty sparse except a few areas (wow, go Ohio!) and it is difficult/impossible to find any coming soon stations on the various DCFC companies.

EA was funded by the dieselgate settlement, it wasn't initiated because VW thought it made good business sense to roll out a charging network for the few thousand EVs they sell.

Pretty sure the settlement says nothing about maintaining an EV charging network, only that they have to deploy one. They might actually fix some of the chargers if they're frequently used, the repairs are minimal, and they think they could recoup some investment, but if they're not making money on it, they're not going to spend money on it.

Of course EA talks some game and says how many stations they've deployed and how much of the US they've covered, but talk is cheap. They should instead be talking about how reliable their stations are and what they have planned. Spending money to make the network reliable is not cheap though, and neither are new stations. You'll notice the expansion for CCS stations on Plugshare is pretty sparse except a few areas (wow, go Ohio!) and it is difficult/impossible to find any coming soon stations on the various DCFC companies.

It's up to regulators. The EPA and CARB have to agree to ElectrifyAmerica's plans.

They'll be publishing their plans this year for the final Cycle 4, which begins next year.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I've wanted to travel to upstate NY in my M3 to see relatives for two years now. The specific area had no public chargers at all until 2020, when the local community college installed two 'destination' chargers with J1772 plugs. Now, the township has installed six J1772 stands in a parking garage. And, wonder of wonders, the local police force has purchased three Teslas. They have a J1772 setup also.

The nearest Tesla supercharger was more than 50 miles away, so going there to charge would net me half of the charge! As of 2/25/2023, EA has no charging sites in the area. EVGo has none either. Guess I'll have to fly into a nearby airport and rent a car.

I've wanted to travel to upstate NY in my M3 to see relatives for two years now. The specific area had no public chargers at all until 2020, when the local community college installed two 'destination' chargers with J1772 plugs. Now, the township has installed six J1772 stands in a parking garage. And, wonder of wonders, the local police force has purchased three Teslas. They have a J1772 setup also.

The nearest Tesla supercharger was more than 50 miles away, so going there to charge would net me half of the charge! As of 2/25/2023, EA has no charging sites in the area. EVGo has none either. Guess I'll have to fly into a nearby airport and rent a car.
I don't see the problem here. Looks like lots of charging options.

Reactions: Genie
Are there any other charging stations that are known to be more reliable than EA? I was also thinking about picking up a CCS adapter as a "just in case" and would like to see if I can filter going to other stations like evGO, etc? Thanks!

Are there any other charging stations that are known to be more reliable than EA? I was also thinking about picking up a CCS adapter as a "just in case" and would like to see if I can filter going to other stations like evGO, etc? Thanks!
I think they are all pretty bad, and it's just hit or miss depending on where your route is. I think the best thing you can do is to look up the stations where you will be going on Plugshare. People do checkins there and mark whether they successfully charged or not and any comments they may have. So that builds up a quality or reliability score of 1-10 stars that will at a glance show whether that station is relatively good or bad. And maybe click into it to make sure there have been good checkins in the last week or so.

So far I've never had an issue with Chargepoint/FLO chargers (both level 2 and level 3) using an rfid card. Sample size isn't very big however. EA has been a 50/50 proposition at best.

They don't just have one national rate. Where was this?
I thought they only has two rates. One if they can charge by kWh, the other charging by minute.

By minute:

1685650271740.png

By kWh:
1685650293038.png

I couldn't find any states that weren't using one of those two rate plans.

Reactions: cwerdna
It's simple - they are fulfilling a mandate to spend money, but have no vested interest in making a good or well maintained charging network.
EA was created by VW as punishment for the dieselgate scandal. They were ordered to build EV chargers. There's no requirement that the chargers actually work. They are doing the minimum required.