Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Elon going the way of the VW Beetle and Porsche 911?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone think that Elon subscribes to the design approach of the VW Beetle or Porsche 911 where they are an evolution of the same design over decades vs all new designs?

Seems its going that way, and Elon has said on Twitter before that he considers that Tesla is refreshed on a monthly basis with their software upgrades...and now, Tesla on their website states this regarding the new refresh design...

"Refined Styling

Exterior design combines an iconic look with elegant proportions.
"

• Love
Reactions: Brando
it comes down to capex right now. For what they manufacture, its about keeping things manageable for themselves so they can focus elsewhere. For those items they farm out to the OEM suppliers, they're open to more radical changes. They have only so much factory resources and a ton of balls in the air.

They spin it by saying words like "iconic" and "refined" but in the end it's about working well with what you have.

Has anyone transitioned from a Porsche (911 or 718) to a Model 3 Performance? Looks aside, I'm wondering about impressions about driving dynamics like handling and steering feel differences. Most reviews focus on straight-line acceleration which is nice, but to me a car comes alive in the bends.

Five years ago I had a 911, a 4000 Quattro and a V8 Touareg. Now I have a 968, an S4 convertible and an S 85D. An overall increase in aggregated driving pleasure, utility and road trip comfort, I feel. But damn, I miss the 911.
Nice! I've got a '95 Porsche 968 coupe and '70 914-6 (with a 3.0L SC motor) here. The MSLR is intended for commute, cargo, and all other mundane duties; the others just for fun.

"Horses for courses," as they say...

Has anyone transitioned from a Porsche (911 or 718) to a Model 3 Performance? Looks aside, I'm wondering about impressions about driving dynamics like handling and steering feel differences. Most reviews focus on straight-line acceleration which is nice, but to me a car comes alive in the bends.
Seen this thread? The OP says they never took their Pcars to the track, but...

Reactions: Tessd and JimmyB
Nice! I've got a '95 Porsche 968 coupe and '70 914-6 (with a 3.0L SC motor) here. The MSLR is intended for commute, cargo, and all other mundane duties; the others just for fun.

"Horses for courses," as they say...

Seen this thread? The OP says they never took their Pcars to the track, but...
Thanks. I hadn’t seen that thread. I guess the OP had scratched that 911 itch and then some. I would love a P-car for fun weekend drives and keep the 75D for everything else. But 2 cars would be a pain, not to mention expensive.

Reactions: JimmyB