Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is enhanced autopilot (2022) worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If acceleration boost can be added later (?) I would wait. I do not see that much of a difference in the table below. Also, my MS goes like a bat out of hell but realistically, after showing off to my friends, I stopped driving it like a dragster. Very personal choice of course!

ModelLong RangeAcceleration BoostPerformance
Model 34.2 seconds3.7 seconds3.1 seconds
Model Y4.8 seconds4.3 seconds3.5 seconds

Nah this is not accurate. Tesla includes rollout (first 1ft not counted 0-60) for the performance models but not the other models. More accurately, Model 3 should be 4.0, 3.5, 3.1 respectively including rollout. Omitting rollout it would be 4.2, 3.7, 3.3 ish. Same for the Model Y, should be 4.6, 4.1, 3.5.

Nah this is not accurate. Tesla includes rollout (first 1ft not counted 0-60) for the performance models but not the other models. More accurately, Model 3 should be 4.0, 3.5, 3.1 respectively including rollout. Omitting rollout it would be 4.2, 3.7, 3.3 ish. Same for the Model Y, should be 4.6, 4.1, 3.5.
That's cool. I had no idea. My Model Y LR with AB is faster than I thought.

Clipped from the Tesla website:
Tesla Acceleration Comparisons.jpg

Basic - Included​

1. Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC)
  2. Autopilot

Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) - $6,000​

1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Smart Summon

Full Self-Driving Capability (FSD) - $15,000​

1. All functionality of Basic Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot
  2. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

Coming Soon​

1. Autosteer on city streets

I suggest you subscribe ($99/month for EAP, $199/month for FSD) as opposed to buying unless you are certain you will keep the car over 5-years. You can always unsubscribe, or change from EAP to FSD. And you can always "buy" it later.

IHMO the only real value in EAP is Auto Lane Change; I have not found the Navigate on Autopilot to work very well in high traffic areas, such as where I live.
I didn't know you could subscribe to EAP? Currently I'm subscribed to FSD and not sure I will continue with it but do like the lane change feature that comes with EAP.

My Tesla app does not give me the option to subscribe just to EAP. I only have the option for the $200/month FSD subscription.

Hopefully this will help

Hopefully this will help

That explains it... There are two dynamics at play. People who have a car with FSD capability and purchased the one-time EAP package can subscribe to FSD for $100/month.

However, owners who have no base packages cannot subscribe to the EAP-level of features. Our only option seems to be the $200/month for FSD, even if we only wanted access to the lesser EAP features.

Reactions: Jdcleary
Just to make sure I understand correctly, if I just want the car to follow the lane on the freeway and not hit the car ahead of it in stop-go freeway traffic, then basic autopilot will work? I don’t need the car to change lanes for me (and probably wouldn’t use the “party trick” feature like smart summon or auto park).

Just trying to make sure I don’t need to shell out another $6k on my MYLR order. (I presume the cost to buy it later is the same?)

Reactions: Need
Just to make sure I understand correctly, if I just want the car to follow the lane on the freeway and not hit the car ahead of it in stop-go freeway traffic, then basic autopilot will work? I don’t need the car to change lanes for me (and probably wouldn’t use the “party trick” feature like smart summon or auto park).

Just trying to make sure I don’t need to shell out another $6k on my MYLR order. (I presume the cost to buy it later is the same?)
Correct, that's basic autopilot.

Yep, I used basic AP for 1100 miles over Thanksgiving week in heavy stop and go traffic. No issues at all.

Reactions: carlos31820
Thanks all for the lively discussion! I think I've been convinced to go with the Long Range + Acceleration Boost over Performance, which I didn't think about too hard until I read this thread. $2k delta isn't much and would've liked the matrix headlights but the suspension uncertainty and the 21in tires give me pause.

On Autopilot, still tempting but probably not going to buy EAP or FSD. From reading this thread and others, I think basic auto pilot and just being able to manage to stay in the same lane is probably enough since I'm only on one freeway on my current commute. The lack of auto park, smart summon, and summon without USS is also a mild negative.

Would be nice to get all the features but still pricey, I may subscribe to FSD on a roadtrip to test it out in the future but otherwise will hold off. Thanks again!

Reactions: Need and TheLex
Thanks all for the lively discussion! I think I've been convinced to go with the Long Range + Acceleration Boost over Performance, which I didn't think about too hard until I read this thread. $2k delta isn't much and would've liked the matrix headlights but the suspension uncertainty and the 21in tires give me pause.

On Autopilot, still tempting but probably not going to buy EAP or FSD. From reading this thread and others, I think basic auto pilot and just being able to manage to stay in the same lane is probably enough since I'm only on one freeway on my current commute. The lack of auto park, smart summon, and summon without USS is also a mild negative.

Would be nice to get all the features but still pricey, I may subscribe to FSD on a roadtrip to test it out in the future but otherwise will hold off. Thanks again!
I’m now subscribed to FSD for a couple of weeks and made a 500-mile road trip.

My conclusions: FSD includes Enhanced Auto Pilot (EAP) so love the lane change features not found in basic Auto Pilot. FSD also includes stopping at stop signs or stop lights, however, if your navigation path is to turn at that stop, you lose FSD and you need to re-engage.

In my review, the stop sign feature is the only feature in FSD that isn’t in EAP and that just doesn’t justify the cost. Adding EAP to get the lane change features that I had back on my 2016 will probably be my decision. Staying with basic auto pilot, and the highly undesirable process to change lanes, will be hard for me to do.

Good luck with your decisions.

Reactions: tonyz1
Hi,

I'm getting my Tesla model Y this month. Coming from a BMW 3-series with standard cruise control so have no idea what autopilot offers. Is enhanced autopilot worth adding? What are the main benefits of it that people here have used day to day?

My main interest is making sure I don't crash if I'm in a distracted driving scenario which happens more often than I'd like although I'm generally pretty good about it.

Also, the specific trade off I'm thinking is either 1) Add EAP or 2) Upgrade to Performance or obviously 3) Save some money with neither but don't see myself adding EAP and Performance.

Thanks for the feedback!
With the crazy price drop that cause most of the new owners (purchased Tesla between 2021 until Nov 2022) lose money, I would say that they should give at least Enhanced autopilot free to those buy who lost money because of crazy company pricing policy. Not a single reputable car manufacturers make their customers/dealers unhappy like that!

With the crazy price drop that cause most of the new owners (purchased Tesla between 2021 until Nov 2022) lose money, I would say that they should give at least Enhanced autopilot free to those buy who lost money because of crazy company pricing policy. Not a single reputable car manufacturers make their customers/dealers unhappy like that!
I have a feeling this is what they might end up doing. Its either the give FSD/EAP. If I was Tesla, I will just give FSD to those people that took delivery in December and everyone else EAP quickly and just wrap this mess up.

I love how people somehow think a car is an “investment” and you “lost” money because of the price cut. You “lost” money on almost every car you bought and obviously an overpriced mid-range EV with a slew of features “coming” isn’t going tk be any different.

Reactions: csrpenfab
I think EAP is way overpriced and should probably cost around half of what it does, maybe less. However, I plan on keeping my Model 3 for at least 10 years and really wanted Navigate on Autopilot and auto lane changes, and the regular summon might work well for backing out of my tight garage when they eventually enable it for my non-USS car, so I bit the bullet and got it.

i tried the subscription after making the original post - decided it wasn’t worth it - the benefits were marginal and not worth what they were charging. Basic autopilot is generally good enough. Also, some of the decisions the car makes is highly questionable. The EAP feature set should really be standard especially on gimped non uss cars.

Reactions: 804son