Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is everyone's glass this speckled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll admit it's been a long time since I've owned a new car, but I don't recall new windshield glass in prior vehicles looking like this. It's only apparent when driving into the sun, the rest of the time the windshield looks fine. But in strong direct light the entire thing looks like they forgot to melt all the sand when they created this glass! It's tough to capture in a photo; I'm blocking the sun with my fingertips so it doesn't wash out the image. The windshield is freshly cleaned, all this "speckle" is embedded in the glass (save for a couple bug specks I missed!) It's been like this since day one. I tried a good buffing with cerium oxide, that made no difference.

IMG_3079.jpg

Our glass has looked great from Day One. We've got over 20,000 miles, and have some road scum build up, but nothing like you are showing. That needs attention from the SC. It may have been sand blasted on the train ride/truck ride from Fremont? Bummer!
?

Reactions: OxBrew
I drove 4,000 miles (cross country X 2) before noticing mine. The light has to be “just right” to notice it, and it isn’t highly distracting. It’s no worse than the paint job (if you look close enough at your car, especially on the edge of doors and where the metal meets the chrome delete, you’ll know what I’m taking about).

I had something similar to you. Severe spots, like million of little dots everywhere. What made mine obviously a glass defect was there was a delineation line on the lower 1/3 of the windshield where it was perfectly clear. Tesla replaced under warranty so I would echo what some other folks said and at least have service take a look. Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: WhiteWi
I drove 4,000 miles (cross country X 2) before noticing mine. The light has to be “just right” to notice it, and it isn’t highly distracting.

Same here. I've noticed it on mine, but only after a couple of weeks, and I've noticed it a couple of times since, so assuming it's doesn't come and go, then yes, the light has to be just right to see it.

Reactions: boulder.dude
I noticed 1000's of tiny spots about 1 month after receiving the car. Thought maybe it was very hard water? Doubtful. Tried cerium oxide with a buffering wheel (very messy). Tried at least 5 other "solutions". Helped maybe 20%. Only really noticeable when the sun hits at a certain angle. No one else notices it. I'll probably live with it now that the car has 15K miles on it, I'm sure Tesla service would not be agreeable window swapping and this point.

Reactions: boulder.dude