TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Is EVSE needed with Model 3 or do we plug directly into Nema 14-50?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by coupedncal, Aug 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. coupedncal

coupedncal Member

I currently have a Juicebox 40 Pro and just wondering if i can plug that into my Tesla 3 when i get it or do i need to plug the Tesla provided charging cable directly into the wall receptacle? I keep hearing Teslas don't need EVSEs.

2. gregd

gregd Active Member

The Juicebox is an EVSE; you don't need a second one. Presuming your charging cord ends in a J1772 connector (the kind you see in regular public charging spots), you'd use the J1772 adapter that comes with the car. Plug the adapter into the car, plug the charging cord into the adapter, and you're done.

Alternatively, you could use the UMC (universal mobile connector) that also comes with the car, and plug directly into the 14-50 outlet. But the Juicebox is already there, and probably easier to deal with.

The UMC, by the way, is also a form of EVSE. Don't get hung up on the term; it's just a fat spot in the cable that makes sure everything is safe.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1