TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is excessive heated seat use good for guys "children"?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Big1matt, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Big1matt

Big1matt Member

With electric cars (and ICE cars) using and depending on heated seats more, are these safe to use on a regular basis for a males prospective children? When I get my Model 3, I will surely be expecting to use the heated seat function plenty, and to allow me to use less heat at times during the winter months.

2. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Yes.

What is it that you find worrying?

3. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

There's probably more heat between the thighs, which actually has more (and direct) contact with the sack than the heated seat itself. I'm no doctor, but i think you're safe. ;)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Males have other things to worry about when they are concerned about fertility. Low alcohol consumption, stay in the normal weight range, make sure to do moderate exercise, vitamin C and zinc intake, etc.

If you do have any heat related problems (even from having a fever), rest assured that all the numbers will return to normal in about 3 months.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. garsh

garsh Re Member

JeffK has it right. The worst thing that you'll be doing is temporarily lowering your sperm count, and there are plenty of other things that will do that as well. And it is just a temporary change - if you're actually trying to have children and are having fertility problems, only then would I start worrying about making lifestyle changes to fix the problem. You're not going to cause any sort of permanent issue by using heated seats.

• Like x 2
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Safeguard Your Sperm

Quote: "After an hour in the hot seat, participants' scrotal temperatures rose to an average of 37.3 °C, with a maximum temperature in one man of 39.7 °C. It’s only a slight increase, but it may be enough to damage the sperm production process, according to Andreas Jung, a researcher at the University of Giessen in Germany.n A third of a degree doesn't sound like much, so we asked for a second opinion from Larry I. Lipshultz, M.D., chief of the division of male reproductive medicine and a professor of urology at Baylor College of Medicine. “Studies have shown that applied heat—like the heat from hot tubs or direct contact with heating pads—really can impair [sperm production],” Lipshultz says. “But research looking at the effects of tight underwear and indirect heat has been very iffy."

• Informative x 2
  7. S3XY

S3XY Member

Pretty simple solution for anyone concerned about this.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 13
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Yes, it's pretty temperature sensitive... but heat damage is temporary.
    If you're really trying to conceive in the dead of winter then just make sure you moderate your use. Or heck even S3XY's solution would be fine and crank the heat all the up.

The only people that should really worry are those who are actively trying to conceive, otherwise it's not going to affect anything else such as testosterone production etc.

There are limits or course, some cars have seat warmers that get hot enough to actually cause burns. Use your best judgement, the max you want to go for is a few degrees below body temp of 98.6 degrees F.

That said:
    Infrared Camera Shows Tesla Cold Weather Heating Elements
    shows the seats hitting 75-78 degrees on max which is perfectly fine for any length of time as it's well below 95-96 degrees F.

• Like x 2
  9. McRat

McRat Active Member

"Did you bring condoms?"

"No, I'm safe. My car has heated seats..."

• Funny x 12
    • Like x 1
  10. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

• Funny x 3
  11. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

...but what do I do for an erection lasting more than 4 hours?

• Funny x 4
  12. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Turn off ludicrous mode for a while.

• Funny x 18
    • Like x 1
  13. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I'm still trying to figure out why, per JeffK post #4, I should worry about low alcohol consumption. I know how to avoid that worry!

14. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

haha I meant try to have lower alcohol consumption.

Although higher alcohol consumption can sometimes lead to greater genetic diversity of your offspring... your wife might divorce you though...

• Funny x 3
  15. Mkorpal

Mkorpal Member

This car can not get to production fast enough.

• Funny x 2
  16. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I can't believe some people aren't treating this subject seriously and offering constructive advice to the OP. :rolleyes:
    In addition to my previous suggestion, here's something else that may help allay concerns:
    Maximize Fertility, Relieve Scrotal Pain

• Funny x 3
  17. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

#17 ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    It could be possible that the OP is worried about EMFs mutating his unborn children. The seats use DC for heating and don't have the fluctuating magnetic fields suspected of causing genetic mutation. The motors, on the other hand, use AC. Maybe he should avoid the AWD Teslas during his reproductive years, just to play it safe?

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. Jayc

Jayc Member

I think it is a valid concern that the OP has. If someone has any other direct, specific, info or links to specific research findings on the subject, that might help.

19. patrick42h

patrick42h Member

I wasn't aware that heated seats were one of our more widely available contraceptive options.

• Funny x 2
  20. McRat

McRat Active Member

Agreed.

To the OP, if you are trying to conceive, please turn off the heater during intercourse. You will find this on page 201 of the Owner's Manual under Child Seat Information.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1