Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FM/XM Radio upgrade actually free for early MCU2 upgraders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm trying to clear up this topic for my own understanding and possibly to help others who have had the MCU2 upgrade done.

I saw in some of the other threads that at least a couple of people have gotten the radio restored for free... (i.e. Invoice of $0.00). I'm trying to figure out if this for people who got MCU2 early when it was $2500, or had AP2 vs AP2.5 cars, or those who bought FSD, or some combination of those factors.

Tesla's current web page shows $2000 for AP 2.0 and 2.5 cars, but $1500 for all other versions WITHOUT the radio. You need to pay $500 more for the radio to be upgraded too.

Could it be that for an AP2.0 car where someone paid $2500 before, they consider the radio paid already with the higher original $2500 fee?

Just wanted to explore this topic to see what you guys think...

Nope. Paid $2500 and didn't get anything nor was it offered at the time.
Did you go back recently to get the radio function added back now that it's available,. Originally, the MCU2 upgrade was $2500 and no one came out of it with radio functionality because the option wasn't available back then. But if you go back now and request to get the radio function back, you are supposed to have to pay $500, but I see there are people who got it free with an invoice showing $0.00.

I may be misremembering but I think @boaterva was an early MCU2 upgrader who received the FM upgrade at no cost (after the initial MCU upgrade).

My guess is there is no set policy on this and is at the discretion of the service center manager.

I upgraded my MCU1 last month with the discount at 1500 and asked for the radio tuner and it was included no extra charge for radio
Wow... so you paid $1500 and they did both MCU2 and radio for that price??

So maybe they are dropping the $500 altogether for the radio tuner upgrade and just including the radio with MCU2 if you ask for it?
This is how it should have been from the start!

I may be misremembering but I think @boaterva was an early MCU2 upgrader who received the FM upgrade at no cost (after the initial MCU upgrade).

My guess is there is no set policy on this and is at the discretion of the service center manager.
Exactly. No idea if this was because of recent price drops or what. I had a theory it was because of Premium sound system but I don’t think that’s been proven.

Wow... so you paid $1500 and they did both MCU2 and radio for that price??

So maybe they are dropping the $500 altogether for the radio tuner upgrade and just including the radio with MCU2 if you ask for it?
This is how it should have been from the start!
Doesn't hurt to ask, I wrote in the Tesla app MCU upgrade with radio tuner please, and got it 1500 plus tax

Just another data point.

I paid $2,500 last summer for the upgrade. This past week, I had an appointment in Paramus, NJ for the FM module and asked if it would be ‘goodwilled’ and was swiftly denied.

I ended up canceling the appointment.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
I paid $2650 ($2500 + $150 tax) on 9/22/20 for the MCU2 upgrade.
I paid $530 ($500 + $30 tax) on 5/10/21 for the radio upgrade.
So $3000 + $180 tax = $3180 total.

My MCU1 was driving me crazy with all of the problems but it hadn't failed completely.
I could have had the MCU1 "fixed" or installed the MCU2. I chose the MCU2.
My request for a recall refund was rejected because the MCU1 had not totally failed.

I have purchased my second and last Tesla.
A 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E premium AWD , ER is scheduled to be delivered next month to replace my 2013 Ford Fusion Energi.

Reactions: Shateam