Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IS ford serious? Electric mustang looks like an SUV!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you serious? Not sure if I’m in the market for the Mustang Mach E (I have 2018 MP3) BUT the Mach E is much more appealing (as far as looks) vs similar sized BEVs like the model Y or Jaguars entry. Not sure about charging network or specifics like UI but I have seen several in person ( live near Dearborn) and it’s probably the best looking BEV out today. But again I’m happy with my 3 and will wait a few years to see how Ford develops the Mach e

I think the Mustang Mach-E looks nice.
Not a fan of the grill though. But the rest looks great. Seats look awfully flat though.

Price performance has a ways to go to catch up to Tesla though. And by the time they ship in volume they will be even further behind.

I love how the article harps about the lack of sub $40K availability from Tesla. And that the Mach-e can reach under $40K (WITH TAX incentives) but will be seriously limited version (that doesn’t even exist yet). Yet his review vehicle is a whopping $59K, quite a bit slower and quite a bit less range than Model Y. Hello?

Reactions: RyanS
I still don't understand the consternation about the Mustang name. Those that are butt hurt need to think of the Mustang name in the same approach as the Genesis name. The Genesis was a model of a car, and now it's a brand name with a bunch of vehicles, including an SUV.

That's effectively what Ford is doing. It's changing it from a particular vehicle name to a brand. So funny how some hillbillies think the Mach E is completely replacing the the Mustang car. It's not.

I think Tesla has plenty to worry about with the Mach E. The fact that the Mach E has a much lower entry price when stripped down and the $7500 rebate is going to take away a lot of sales from the Model Y since they aren't doing the RWD version.

And Ford executed on hitting the Model Y where it hurts, interior and exterior design. You may not like it, but more people will like the interior and exterior of the Mach E over the Y. And if they do a good job with build quality and service, that will really hurt the Model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
I still don't understand the consternation about the Mustang name. Those that are butt hurt need to think of the Mustang name in the same approach as the Genesis name. The Genesis was a model of a car, and now it's a brand name with a bunch of vehicles, including an SUV.

That's effectively what Ford is doing. It's changing it from a particular vehicle name to a brand. So funny how some hillbillies think the Mach E is completely replacing the the Mustang car. It's not.

I think Tesla has plenty to worry about with the Mach E. The fact that the Mach E has a much lower entry price when stripped down and the $7500 rebate is going to take away a lot of sales from the Model Y since they aren't doing the RWD version.

And Ford executed on hitting the Model Y where it hurts, interior and exterior design. You may not like it, but more people will like the interior and exterior of the Mach E over the Y. And if they do a good job with build quality and service, that will really hurt the Model Y.

When has 'Mustang' ever been an SUV or crossover though? I think the odder reaction is to be surprised that people aren't happy with this pairing than to disagree with this oddball marketing move for an iconic name, 'Mustang'.

I think it's a bad decision by Ford. At the very least, modify the name 'Mustang' so it's not diluted with a crossover. Whether the Mach-E is good or not (and I've read some bad and good reviews already), I don't think this was a wise marketing decision by Ford.

There's no danger of me buying one and I'm sure someone will go for it, but a Mustang (ICE or electric) should look like a Mustang.

Last edited:

How do you hurt a car maker who has more demand for their product than they can meet with their production? I believe that Tesla will continue to sell every EV they can build and Ford may sell a few too.

If you been around long enough you know what the Mustang has looked like for ever, call it a Mach e not a Mustang.

Reactions: Spacep0d
How do you hurt a car maker who has more demand for their product than they can meet with their production? I believe that Tesla will continue to sell every EV they can build and Ford may sell a few too.

Digital Equipment Corporation couldn't make enough of their VAX computers for demand, a while ago. They pretty much don't exist now. Blackberry used to have huge demand for their phones. Do you need more examples?

Not saying Tesla is going away, but if anyone gets arrogant, they lose.

Apparently it’s very quiet too. We’ll see how fast it road trips (charge curve + efficiency). I have also heard the EPA estimate Ford used was conservative.

Honestly, it’s shaping up to be an absolute home run of a vehicle. I’m so happy that we are finally getting compelling, relatively affordable BEV options other than Tesla.

Digital Equipment Corporation couldn't make enough of their VAX computers for demand, a while ago. They pretty much don't exist now. Blackberry used to have huge demand for their phones. Do you need more examples?

Not saying Tesla is going away, but if anyone gets arrogant, they lose.
Both companies you cited failed because they failed to innovate. I don't think the same can be said of Tesla.