Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IS ford serious? Electric mustang looks like an SUV!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Digital Equipment Corporation couldn't make enough of their VAX computers for demand, a while ago. They pretty much don't exist now. Blackberry used to have huge demand for their phones. Do you need more examples?

Not saying Tesla is going away, but if anyone gets arrogant, they lose.

Blackberry lost out because the iPhone totally changed how people interacted with phones, where formerly it was the mini keyboard that people liked about the Blackberry. Nothing Blackberry could do would fix that without coming out with a smart phone of their own despite some holdouts. Apple owned the market from day one of the iPhone, and everyone else was playing catch-up.

Blackberry didn't lose because of arrogance so much as failing to adapt to the new paradigm. Some might still call this arrogance but the result is the same.

DEC is super old school but I think their proprietary format was part of the issue. I briefly considered a DEC Alpha back when I was looking for my first real 3D modeling computer, but Windows 95 wasn't going to run on a DEC and it did run on a PC just fine. It's quite obvious that the PC was the way to go, and 3D Studio Max ran great on Windows 95. Considering the cost of modular user-sourced PC parts and decent support for the Win95 OS, going PC over a DEC Alpha was a no-brainer. This effect was so strong that Apple almost didn't survive it...more than once!

Being greedily proprietary is also what killed Compaq personal computers. Their goofy tricks to keep people buying *their* RAM and components with their non-standard cases is what killed them, and good riddance.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I think it looks better than the Y. And has Tesla beat on colors

Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-GT-Performance-Edition-Yellow-Mountains-side.jpg

Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-.jpg

Reactions: cusetownusa
While I think all of the Teslas look cleaner (I'm a minimalist), I think this looks decent. I don't like the fake 'grill' detail in black, though I understand Ford is limited by the established look of the Mustang. I don't like the unnecessary hood ridges, and those big unnecessary 'intakes' on either side below the headlights. If those are used as battery cooling then sure it's form following function.

The sides are rear window are nice, though I see Model 3/Y DNA in those side sculpts.

The colors are bold but not better, though if they offer more colors and better paint, that's better. Tesla has a limited palette but all of their colors are pretty great, thin paint and all. The Bugatti blue is nice though for an already confused Mustang Crossover SUV trying to do it all. :D

Ford did a good job with the Mach-E. I personally would still buy a Model Y over it, but Ford has a good entry into the EV market there and I'm sure they will sell very well. Not everyone likes the minimalism approach of the Tesla cars. I however, do.

Fair points all, and I'm glad to see a viable EV from one of the 'majors' though Tesla is decidedly a 'big' auto-maker now. More EV adoption is a good thing.

Both companies you cited failed because they failed to innovate. I don't think the same can be said of Tesla.

You're way off with DEC. They were one of the first companies innovating with the Internet, and their computers kept up with plenty of innovation. Their issue was their business model was making expensive computers, and they couldn't adapt their business fast enough to the low cost personal computer model.

But besides being wrong about DEC, you're missing my point. Just because you're large and in charge doesn't guarantee prosperity in the future. Lots of things can bring a big company tumbling down, so you making the argument that Tesla is invincible in the future because of their current demand is very wrong. That was my point. My point had nothing to do with why DEC or Blackberry came tumbling down.

You're way off with DEC. They were one of the first companies innovating with the Internet, and their computers kept up with plenty of innovation. Their issue was their business model was making expensive computers, and they couldn't adapt their business fast enough to the low cost personal computer model.

But besides being wrong about DEC, you're missing my point. Just because you're large and in charge doesn't guarantee prosperity in the future. Lots of things can bring a big company tumbling down, so you making the argument that Tesla is invincible in the future because of their current demand is very wrong. That was my point. My point had nothing to do with why DEC or Blackberry came tumbling down.

Nobody wrote that Tesla was invincible, nor would any rational person make such an absolute statement. Confidence in Tesla is high for *very* good reasons which don't relate to your analogous examples of Blackberry and DEC. A lot of people reading this have probably never heard of DEC, and I'm including the 50+ set like myself.

The problem is that your analogies don't fit Tesla. Both DEC and Blackberry were outmoded because they couldn't compete in a fundamental paradigm shift which affected their products. As mentioned before, the Blackberry was put down by the iPhone, and DEC saw the rise of Windows 95 on affordable and modular PC hardware which ensured its doom, and it wasn't just DEC. SGI went under too. Same reasons. That overpriced hardware (and software) went the way of the dodo, and the software was adapted (and evolved) to run on regular desktop PCs running Windows and its many subsequent variants.

There's nothing to indicate that Tesla will not be able to compete, nor is there any reason to think a fundamental paradigm shift is coming of the sort that killed off Blackberry and DEC. Quite the contrary, Tesla has a huge lead, a killer app (Supercharger network), is in the hearts and minds of consumers without any advertising, and continues to move forward with battery tech and execution of novel and courageous ideas with the best engineers any company could hope to attract.

And, the CEO has a successful aerospace company on the side without being beholden to Big Oil or government handouts. How's that for gravitas?

This is not to say that Tesla is immune from a stock price collapse or 'going under', but there's little reason to believe such things given the available data.

I have always liked the mustang look from 60/70's onward till 80/90's then it went generic...The recent mustangs look decent so if one like the mach or cobra can be ev that would be cool. I would take a mustang over comaro all day long now. I drove a 2020 camaro and it was a dog and styling was not good-blind spot vision was UNSAFE AND AWEFUL.

I think it looks better than the Y. And has Tesla beat on colors

Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-GT-Performance-Edition-Yellow-Mountains-side.jpg

Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-.jpg
I disagree as the Y looks better and looks better then the 3 as well...but am not a fan of the 3 or y or x myself. That mustang suv frill is gross..colors are fun but can also make a car look like a toy and cheap(like that blue above)The newer subaru colors are fugly too..cement color looking and blah pastels.