Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is free upgrade to HW3 transferrable with the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a March 2017 Model S. I paid for EAP and FSD (silly me). The car now has AP HW 2.0. We have been told that we will get a free upgrade to HW3 if needed for FSD in the future.My question, If I sell the car will the new owner get that upgraded computer HW? I have not seen this question answered anywhere. I would hope that the FSD is transferrable with the car, therefore the hardware upgrade would be as well. Any insight?

Yes, the new owner will get the HW3 computer swap for free because the FSD features they are planning to release will not work with the AP2.0 or AP2.5 computer except Advanced Summon. The new computer is 10 to 20 times more powerful.

Elon confirmed multiple times that all FSDs will get the HW3 computer swap for free. See:
  • 27 Dec 2018: Confirmed by Elon here
  • 19 Feb 2019: Confirmed by Elon here at 17:23
  • 11 Mar 2019: Confirmed by Elon here
In addition, in a tweet here on 11 Dec 2018, he said the computer swap will be easy.

Reactions: OPRCE
Yes, the new owner will get the HW3 computer swap for free because the FSD features they are planning to release will not work with the AP2.0 or AP2.5 computer except Advanced Summon. The new computer is 10 to 20 times more powerful.

Elon confirmed multiple times that all FSDs will get the HW3 computer swap for free. See:
  • 27 Dec 2018: Confirmed by Elon here
  • 19 Feb 2019: Confirmed by Elon here at 17:23
  • 11 Mar 2019: Confirmed by Elon here
In addition, in a tweet here on 11 Dec 2018, he said the computer swap will be easy.

I know that I would get the computer upgrade. Are you sure that a new owner would get it if I sell the car?