Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD overpriced ($7,000 over AP)?

Is FSD overpriced?

• Yes

Votes: 73 84.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 15.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At $7K it's not a very good idea. I suppose it depends how much that amount of money means to you. For me, the $3K deal I got during the fire sale last year was right for me because I intend to keep my Model 3 for 8-10 years, as that is how I am with cars. And if I did need to sell the car, it helps with the resell value. I'd recommend to anyone keeping the car for a few years to grab it during another fire sale for these reasons, but the $7K+ is ridiculous.

Also I'm not impressed at all with the rate of progress on this, mostly because of all the false hope Elon gives about the release of "feature complete". So much for 2019, that was a fib. The only FSD feature I use consistently is the turn signal stalk to change lanes. I don't trust it to take most ramps automagically.

I think FSD is worth $3k today. I don’t think it is worth investing in vaporware at $7k. Maybe if the speed increases and nav unit data plan were included with the $7k, but as it stands you will have to pay thousands more for those upgrades. All that cost on a depreciating asset that many don’t hold onto for more than a few years. Tesla, stop smoking crack with this pricing!

I really want to join in on the 'beta testing' of fsd, but $7k is REAL MONEY to me. I'm a working guy and that's quite a lot of cash.

plus, its not transferrable to new cars. if it was something I could 'own' and re-use as I change teslas (idea: that would also encourage brand loyalty when its time to trade in/up) but since its currently tied TO THE CAR, I cannot justify that kind of throw-away money.

when teslas were rich man's toys, that was one economic model and asking CEOs (etc) for a $7k 'investment' is fine for folks in that life situation. but now that model 3 is an everyman's car (people with regular day jobs can now afford a tesla), the $7k entry point for fsd is beyond absurd.

here's the main problem: how do you lower the price now and not piss off those who paid full price? I doubt rebates would happen, but maybe some other incentive could be given.

at any rate, $7k is absurd. I'm waiting for the 'real' price and then I'll be happy to dive into the fsd test-driving fleet.

for me, $3k is about the most I'd want to pay and even THAT is pushing it. again, I work for a living and bay area cost of living is quite high. paychecks only go so far, around here..

for me, $3k is about the most I'd want to pay and even THAT is pushing it. again, I work for a living and bay area cost of living is quite high. paychecks only go so far, around here..

I bought my SR+ right before AP became standard, and it was a tough financial decision on whether to add AP for $3,000.

We like going on road-trips, so the utility eventually won us over, but it still took a lot of discussion with the missus.