Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD worth it $10k? ( Any insight from Beta users)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an Y on order without FSD. I'm not going to add it before it arrives. I might do the subscription later just to have the navigate on autopilot features. FSD Beta is very love/hate for me. I really like the fact that I get to test it and I get to use it whenever I want. But man, some of the wtf moments make me want to never enable it again.

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy
I have an Y on order without FSD. I'm not going to add it before it arrives. I might do the subscription later just to have the navigate on autopilot features. FSD Beta is very love/hate for me. I really like the fact that I get to test it and I get to use it whenever I want. But man, some of the wtf moments make me want to never enable it again.
The big incentive to add it at the time of purchase is you can get financing. If you can swallow the $12k pill later on, it doesn't make a difference.

Reactions: btownalset
My wife hates FSD. She says driving a Tesla is so fun, why turn it over to a glitchy computer.
Now there is a woman of wisdom! Autopilot is more than efficient.
Put that $12k into TESLA stock and by the time you are ready to get a new TESLA, you will have a good chunk of cash.

Last edited:
When you go to sell, you are going to get some value out of the FSD purchase. Lets say 50%, perhaps more if you are able to sell private party, less if to a dealer, but lets say average 50%.
the chance getting back 50% in resale is not high... Tesla and most dealers don't pay anything for FSD on used Teslas, and most buyers don't value it either.
The big incentive to add it at the time of purchase is you can get financing. If you can swallow the $12k pill later on, it doesn't make a difference.
subscription equals 60-month 0% loan at current prices.

In some places the initial purchase price determines what level of grant you are entitled to, a reason to get FSD later rather than sooner
LOL

Clearly the math around the before/ after purchase decision is location specific.

One other thing I was wondering about though is how insurance companies would handle purchasing this after the fact versus at time of purchase. I think folks will want to figure that out too.

Reactions: MacO512
Since I can still get FSD for $10k, is FSD worth it assuming everyone actually gets into the beta in the next 12 months?

looking to keep the model Y for 5-6 years.

Would love some opinions on anyone who has Fsd, especially the beta.
Current take rate for FSD is about 7% of buyers. That should tell you something...

Reactions: doc5339
I'm not really interested in FSD or FSD Beta, since I'd rather drive myself, but I do acknowledge that it is cool technology. If it was much cheaper I would certain consider buying it just to have something cool in my car. But $12k is not throw-away money for me.

I was listening to the latest TMC podcast and this week's guest said something about FSD that I would agree with, that a fully mature FSD would need way more cameras than what the current cars have and way more processing power from the FSD computer. I've always had doubts that my 2021 MYP's FSD-computer would be sufficient to process all the information once FSD reaches full release status, and I think that the number of cameras should at least double. I mean, right now the car can't even see 360 degrees around itself, how much can you truly trust it to FSD?

Anyway, I'm sure for many people FSD would be worth the asking price, but I personally am happy to keep that money.
But didnt elon say current hardware will achieve full FSD? Who are we going to believe, TMC podcasters or the CEO of Tesla.

But didnt elon say current hardware will achieve full FSD? Who are we going to believe, TMC podcasters or the CEO of Tesla.

People have made a lot of suggestions about what Tesla needs to do to make FSD perfect. LIDAR, Radar, more cameras, more CPUs...

The issue isn't what the car "Sees". Somehow I manage to drive the car with 2 cameras blocked by a whole bunch of obstructions inside the car. Lots of people with even worse vision than I have are even able to pull it off.

Whether the CPU they have inside it is powerful enough to interpret those images is up for debate. I don't think we'll know 100% until it FSD is fully released. Seems like they've managed to get pretty close with what they currently have though.

Current take rate for FSD is about 7% of buyers. That should tell you something...
I think it’s a little more complicated...many auto manufacturers (or dealers) make it close to impossible to buy a car without trim packages...Tesla makes it easy because the basic car (M3 RWD for example) has all the features you need, especially all the safety features...so it isn’t necessary to choose a trim package (and I regard FSD as a option or trim package), therefore take up might be low

Reactions: Ogre
I mean, Elon has said a lot of things. I'd love to have that track mode for my MYP he promised last year.

I'm skeptical that the current hardware would be able to support full FSD, but if it happens that's great. I might even go for full FSD if it turns out that my car has enough hardware to support it without any compromise.

I mean, Elon has said a lot of things. I'd love to have that track mode for my MYP he promised last year.

I'm skeptical that the current hardware would be able to support full FSD, but if it happens that's great. I might even go for full FSD if it turns out that my car has enough hardware to support it without any compromise.
I'll get excited for FSD when I actually know what it'll do for me.

FSD with nags, eye tracking, and required interaction is worth roughly $0 to me.

I would pay $2k for Navigate on Autopilot and lane changing. But unless/ until FSD lets me sleep safely at the wheel, it's value is not a whole lot.

Doesn't need to be 100% Robotaxi, but needs to reliably relieve the need to stare at the road for 8 hours solid when road tripping.

If you got 10k to spend, go for it. You have to think about whether this is going to prevent you from spending 10k on something else. I would suggest forgoing fsd to get Solar panels, for example.

I enjoy fsd and am glad I have it. I would say it’s worth 10k but everyone doesn’t have the same value assigned to dollars. Is it work it depends on how much you value dollars.

Reactions: Ogre
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. If you are planning on keeping the model y for 5-6 years, then purchasing it for $10k is WAY cheaper and makes more sense than the subscription.

When you go to sell, you are going to get some value out of the FSD purchase. Lets say 50%, perhaps more if you are able to sell private party, less if to a dealer, but lets say average 50%.

Right now....thats 50% of $12K, so $6k. Meaning, your real "cost" of FSD is going to be $4k. ($10k-$6k).

In 5-6 years? FSD is going to cost....who knows what. $15k, $18k, $20k? Honestly, the sky is the limit. At $20k....you are now getting $10k of resale value, so the FSD purchase was free.

Alternatively, if you did a subscription, at best case scenario where the monthly subscription stays at $200/month, thats $12k for 5 years. However, I guarantee you that as FSD continues to increase in price, the monthly price will also rise. People were surprised that when it jumped from $10k to $12k that the monthly price stayed the same. When it goes to 13k, or 14k? I bet it goes to at least $225, maybe $250/month. I bet over a 5 year period, you are easily going to be paying $14k-$15k in subscription fees.

Anyway, your real break even period of FSD where you are getting it for $10k vs subscription is 20 months. Like I said before, if NO prices change, your real cost is $4k, so at $200/month, that is 4000/200 = 20 months. If the FSD price or subscription price increases in those 20 months, then the break even point gets even shorter.

Now, the risks with the FSD purchase. If you crash your car, or sell your car earlier than the 20 months, then the subscription would have been cheaper. Or, if you would have been the type of user to only pay for a subscription to FSD when you thought you needed it, so you are continually canceling/resubscribing so you are not paying for it continually, then my calculations are not valid. But, I think it would be a very rare person that frequently cancels/resubscribes. Its more a risk where...with the subscription you get to "try it out", and maybe you decide its not worth it, so you are only paying for 1-2 months and then canceling. THAT is now way cheaper than the $10k FSD purchase.

My actual opinion of FSD, is that its awesome............ONLY if you are in the beta. If you are not in the beta, then...its only a slight upgrade from normal autopilot. But, you should really think that its not a $10k purchase...its a $4k upgrade at worst because you do get resell value out of it.

I'm always blown away by the Beta FSD software, and anyone I let test drive it are blown away too. Yes, its like a teenager on a learners permit currently, but yes, it does keep getting better and more reliable, though slow, and its fun to see that progress. I use it 90% of my driving in town.

It sucks that they haven't added anyone into the beta since Christmas, but....that will change soon (probably). I'm guessing at some point they do it a completely open beta where they let anyone with FSD into it that wants it, and I'm guessing that is before the end of the year. Hopefully sooner.

As an example though.....I'm actually a monthly subscriber to FSD. Why? Because I know I'm switching cars often and I'm getting a truck (cybertruck, or rivian, or....? I have reservations for all of them) sometime next year, so getting it for my current Y didn't make sense.
You may have missed your calling selling timeshares.

I'll get excited for FSD when I actually know what it'll do for me.

FSD with nags, eye tracking, and required interaction is worth roughly $0 to me.

I would pay $2k for Navigate on Autopilot and lane changing. But unless/ until FSD lets me sleep safely at the wheel, it's value is not a whole lot.

Doesn't need to be 100% Robotaxi, but needs to reliably relieve the need to stare at the road for 8 hours solid when road tripping.
Yeah, I would pay $2k for the Enhanced AP stuff too. I also think FSD would only be of value for me if it reaches level 5, allowing me to sleep on the trip.

As for Robotaxi, I have less than 0% interest in using my car as as that.

I purchased the subscription for a few months and found that it wasn’t worth $199/month for me. Yeah I know I didn’t do the beta, but unless it turns the vehicle into a completely autonomous vehicle that allows me to get work done on my commute, which it’ll never be, It won’t offer much utility to me.
I may purchase the subscription again in the summer when I plan to take some road trips, but I’m not even sure of that. It’s been posted that the payback period compared to the subscription is 5 years, but that’s only if you have the subscription every month of the year. If you’re like me and are only gonna use it for long road trips you might subscribe for half of the year or less which doubles the payback. Also, I wouldn’t count on seeing any salvage value for the FSD package when selling the vehicle.