Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD worth it $10k? ( Any insight from Beta users)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me try to not equivocate, or mislead through subtlety. No, just no. Not at $10k, not at $12k, not at $1.50. There, I apologize if that was unclear. And yes, I bought the amazing FSD future with my car back in 2018. Please reread second and third sentences as often as you feel you’re waivering and actually considered this folly.

Easily worth 5K. The chime on green is worth 2K by itself.

Since I can still get FSD for $10k, is FSD worth it assuming everyone actually gets into the beta in the next 12 months?

looking to keep the model Y for 5-6 years.

Would love some opinions on anyone who has Fsd, especially the beta.
If you have the cash then get it. As for me, I'll keep my Money.

i decided the 12k was worth it simply for auto lane change, to me everyone who buys a tesla is missing out not getting the full upgrade. if i didnt want the extras i would have kept my 2016 Golf R with auto steering and lane centering that was fantastic

i decided the 12k was worth it simply for auto lane change, to me everyone who buys a tesla is missing out not getting the full upgrade. if i didnt want the extras i would have kept my 2016 Golf R with auto steering and lane centering that was fantastic
To each his own; but, if your signature is accurate, you have not yet taken delivery of your MYP. I’d be interested in hearing your feedback after you’ve had the opportunity to use FSD for a few months.
Another factor in my situation is that even if Tesla FSD was perfect, unfortunately the roads I travel are not. I live in the land of perpetual road construction, and have experienced a several instances where autopilot has had difficulty discerning lane markers. For me, I’m often uncomfortable using even autopilot on some of these stretches of highway; so, ceding full control to the vehicle is a non-starter. Some of these highways have been under construction for 20+ years so the impediment to FSD isn’t transient.

Reactions: SalisburySam
To each his own; but, if your signature is accurate, you have not yet taken delivery of your MYP. I’d be interested in hearing your feedback after you’ve had the opportunity to use FSD for a few months.
Another factor in my situation is that even if Tesla FSD was perfect, unfortunately the roads I travel are not. I live in the land of perpetual road construction, and have experienced a several instances where autopilot has had difficulty discerning lane markers. For me, I’m often uncomfortable using even autopilot on some of these stretches of highway; so, ceding full control to the vehicle is a non-starter. Some of these highways have been under construction for 20+ years so the impediment to FSD isn’t transient.
ive driven them before over the past 5 years, i know what to expect. i love pushing my palisades auto steer and lane guidance to its limits and i know teslas is 100x better than it

I gave zero consideration to purchase FSD when I got my 2022 MYLR. I personally believe we're far away from true self driving and there's no way I would trust it. I even use regular Autopilot pretty rarely - only when I'm on long stretches of freeway.

Last edited:
I'm not really interested in FSD or FSD Beta, since I'd rather drive myself, but I do acknowledge that it is cool technology. If it was much cheaper I would certain consider buying it just to have something cool in my car. But $12k is not throw-away money for me.

I was listening to the latest TMC podcast and this week's guest said something about FSD that I would agree with, that a fully mature FSD would need way more cameras than what the current cars have and way more processing power from the FSD computer. I've always had doubts that my 2021 MYP's FSD-computer would be sufficient to process all the information once FSD reaches full release status, and I think that the number of cameras should at least double. I mean, right now the car can't even see 360 degrees around itself, how much can you truly trust it to FSD?

Anyway, I'm sure for many people FSD would be worth the asking price, but I personally am happy to keep that money.
If you're a proponent of FSD ever happening, then I think that's even more reason to buy rather then subscribe. Not only will the price of subscription (more than likely) go up in the future, but you'll have to buy the hardware retrofit yourself. If you spend $12K today, I'm pretty sure you will be upgraded, if necessary.

Having said that, I still haven't taken the plunge, just subscribing monthly and on FSD Beta.

I like that it gets more "worth it" with every update. I'm finding 2022.12.3.20, which I got 2 days ago, to be very much worth it. This update is the one where I feel like I just got a new car!!
Interested in hearing this more. Can you share some experience with recent update and FSD in general? What type of issue are you seeing still? and in your opinion, do you think we will ever get to a point that FSD is 'good enough' and regular people (not beta tester) will feel comfortable start using?

I ordered FSD Beta for $12k. I like to tinker and test systems. I also like having a driving assistant which takes some stress off of long trips or just daily driving. I’m a careful driver and I think it’s worth it since the current processors can handle the bulk of FSD functions. I’m not going to operate the vehicle inebriated or incapacitated and I’m definitely not trusting a machine to do all the driving. It’s a good feature where you can still pilot the vehicle and be extra attentive for any hazards or issues. For those that fly, most commercial flights have automated point to point as well as landing and take-off. I still don’t trust the system completely even though there is a fail safe and the processing power is really good. Machines are only as smart as the people that created them so any unforeseen issues, require a human or extremely advanced AI. I’ve driven multiple vehicles with semi-autonomy before and they work well enough that you don’t have to micromanage everything. FSD is really not that different. To me, the feature is worth the money and even though I haven’t received the vehicle yet, my opinion is based on user FSD video footage and other semi-autonomous features from other manufacturers.

If Advanced Autopilot is available it is half the cost of FSD and you get lane changes and green light, summon and everything else FSD does right now since it is still in Beta. To purchase FSD after, it is half price since you already have the advanced version.

I signed up for it and pay for it via subscription but don’t “have” FSD yet. The auto navigator is currently horrific though, at least in Las Vegas. It routinely tries killing us by doing things like zooming past the exit ramps, veering towards construction walls on the interstates and weaving all over a single lane like a drunk driver. I hope I am invited soon. i so want this to work but do not want a reckless driving ticket.