Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FUSC transferable from first private party to the next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie to the electric car market. I am looking to buy a 2017 75D from first owner with 19,000 miles and it has the FUSC. I have read the posts on this Forum site and is I understand it correctly if the car was ordered by Jan. 15, 2017 and delivered by April 1, 2017 it is transferable? Is that a correct?

And if it falls outside of the April 1, 2017 date, then I have to pay for the supercharging, correct?

This is my first Tesla and have been trying to buy frim dealers and have lost out twice on a 2018 75D and P100. I thought I'd go to the private market, one owner and see what I could find in my immediate area. I have found this 75D about 5 miles from my home and in the right color and miles. Should I hasve any concerns over battery warranty or screen bugs?

Please advise.

It's complicated. Cars that had FUSC that were traded in to Tesla at ANY point lose that feature that was originally sold as "for life" which is more than a bit shady. But, that's how it is until someone challenges it in court which hasn't yet happened and probably won't when you consider what it costs in terms of not having it to the average owner. It's also a question mark about if it retains FUSC if it was ever auctioned/sold by 3rd party dealer. In short, your best bet is to buy from a private party if FUSC and Free Premium data for life are important factors to you.

Also, it kind of seems like you're maybe all over the place in terms of what you're looking for if you're almost buying 75D and P100D as those are two pretty different experiences with different focuses on important aspects. I'd figure out for sure what you need to narrow your focus and then start searching for what best fits your needs. The used market has all but dried up so it's important to know that selection is thin right now with good examples commanding premium price tags. The more specific you are on your search the more you'll likely pay but, as someone who has bought/sold 6 Model S now, it's best to buy what you want the first time and pay a little bit more if necessary.

I would also STRONGLY urge you to research, research, research before you buy. There is a TON to know about the various nuances and what they mean to you and investing as much time as possible before buying will likely save you thousands or from making a mistake that you don't know about until after the purchase. This FUSC/Premium Data topic is but one of dozens you'll want to familiarize yourself with before purchasing so you make the right decision for your needs. Listening to what someone else suggests in terms of a car only assures that you'll buy the right car for them.

Best of luck!

Since you're buying from the original owner, you won't lose FUSC if the car has it already. As far as I know, the only requirement was to order the car by mid-January 2017, regardless of the delivery date, but I'm not 100% certain. Do you know when the 75D was ordered?

Reactions: rxlawdude
Newbie to the electric car market. I am looking to buy a 2017 75D from first owner with 19,000 miles and it has the FUSC. I have read the posts on this Forum site and is I understand it correctly if the car was ordered by Jan. 15, 2017 and delivered by April 1, 2017 it is transferable? Is that a correct?

And if it falls outside of the April 1, 2017 date, then I have to pay for the supercharging, correct?

This is my first Tesla and have been trying to buy frim dealers and have lost out twice on a 2018 75D and P100. I thought I'd go to the private market, one owner and see what I could find in my immediate area. I have found this 75D about 5 miles from my home and in the right color and miles. Should I hasve any concerns over battery warranty or screen bugs?

Please advise.
Did you calculate an estimate of how much FUSC would be worth to you? This varies a lot with how a car is used. If you will be charging at home and supercharging occasionally on trips, the monetary value might be small enough that it shouldn't have a big influence on a purchase decision.

Did you calculate an estimate of how much FUSC would be worth to you? This varies a lot with how a car is used. If you will be charging at home and supercharging occasionally on trips, the monetary value might be small enough that it shouldn't have a big influence on a purchase decision.
And it's important to know that Supercharging costs are no bargain - in some cases, they are actually more expensive than the energy equivalent of gasoline.

Which makes FUSC more valuable. However, with the age of FUSC cars approaching 5 years or older, other factors, such as throttled Supercharging may offset the freebie.

You should also be looking at cars built in the last quarter of 2016, which will be considerably easier to find. Look for AP2.0 features. Again Tesla needs to not have removed these features (so probably not lease returns, tradein cars or 3rd party dealer cars).

Budget $2000 for an MCU2 and tuner upgrade eventually. At that point you may wish to upgrade the dash and front fender cameras and pay for the latest autopilot hardware (currently $500) so as to get better sentry and dashcam footage.

Although the MCU1 is likely be replaced under recall. The MCU1 screen itself is easily repaired if it yellows.

Battery and drivetrain will be good for nearly four more years.

Last edited:
You should also be looking at cars built in the last quarter of 2016, which will be considerably easier to find. Look for AP2.0 features. Again Tesla needs to not have removed these features (so probably not lease returns, tradein cars or 3rd party dealer cars).

Budget $2000 for an MCU2 and tuner upgrade eventually. At that point you may wish to upgrade the dash and front fender cameras and pay for the latest autopilot hardware (currently $500) so as to get better sentry and dashcam footage.

Although the MCU1 is likely be replaced under recall. The MCU1 screen itself is easily repaired if it yellows.

Battery and drivetrain will be good fir nearly four more years.
Agree with all but the comment on budgeting for $2k in upgrades. I use that term "upgrades" loosely because I can't justify what you get in function for two thousand dollars and I'm not alone. I think if you had AP2 hardware it may make more sense but on an AP1 car I just don't see it. Either way, I sure as heck wouldn't pay an extra $500 for a radio tuner... that's just crazy.

It's almost comical to me how a few old farts rant and rave and carry on about the lack of a tuner and it just reminds me of people who complained about no cassette tape deck in the car when they went to CD or no CD player now that digital streaming is a thing. It's a far better solution in just about every way and I couldn't imagine spending $500 for something I'll never use let alone telling others they simply must do the same thing. For $500 I can buy an entire running car from the 90's that will have radio, CD player AND a cassette tape player. ROFL

I'm mostly kidding with the above but there is a kernel of truth. I've owned six Model S cars now and not once have I ever used the radio in all of my travels. If I could remove the radio tuners from them and put $500 in my pocket somehow I'd take that deal every time. Kudos to Tesla for making it an option so the majority of drivers had the option to upgrade their MCU1 to MCU2 for $500 less. This was the right decision ultimately even though the vocal minority will argue the opposite.

It's almost comical to me how a few old farts rant and rave and carry on about the lack of a tuner and it just reminds me of people who complained about no cassette tape deck in the car when they went to CD or no CD player now that digital streaming is a thing. It's a far better solution in just about every way and I couldn't imagine spending $500 for something I'll never use let alone telling others they simply must do the same thing.
It's almost comical how a few seem to believe their experience is universal. SMH.

"I'm mostly kidding." Pray tell which part of your statement quoted above is "mostly"?
Coincidentally enough, the part you quoted.

It's also ironic that the portion you find quoteworthy seems to be "a few seem to believe their experience is universal. SMH." when I'm supporting a solution that is the exact opposite of a universal solution. Choice. In fact, anyone who challenges me in this stance is arguing in favor of a universal solution that costs everyone an extra $500 even if they don't want it.

Oh the ironing.

I guess back to this thread about FUSC and it's transferability.