Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is GM's EV1 Still the Best Electric Car Ever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
"When it comes to pure electric vehicles, the EV1 is still the best that's been built in the last 15 years," noted one engineer, who didn't want to be named for competitive reasons, but who has torn down and evaluated every production EV that's been made since the early 1990s. "The EV1 was a fully-developed, all-around vehicle. Today, no one has the resources to do what GM did."

DesignNews - Is GM's EV1 Still the Best Electric Car Ever?

For starters, the LEAF is a lot more practical being a 4 door 4/5 seat vehicle.
Also, the RAV4EV had better (longer lasting) batteries.

The EV1 was a great vehicle, for what it was, but I think it has become a bit more in legend than it was in reality.

Also, as far as I can tell, it cost GM too much to produce to be a viable money maker selling at a price point people would accept.

Yeah, the criticisms of Tesla are weak, such as complaining about the price. Purportedly "many engineers don't like the Tesla Roadster pack". Speaking as an electrical engineer, HUH??? The Tesla pack WORKS. It's powerful, reliable, durable, and safe. What's not to like?

Of course they don't mention the Model S, which blows away the EV-1.

The EV-1 was great in terms of aerodynamics, but like the roadster it was only a 2 seater that had less than half the range of the roadster(nimh pack). The roadsters performance also blows the ev-1 away. Any engineer that thinks the ev-1 is the best by todays standards needs their head examined...

EV1 might be called the most futuristic EV made.

Just compare the dashboard of EV1:
ev1bootupb.jpg

to the much more conventional dashboard of something like the old RAV4EV:
rav_wheelskin.jpg

Tesla's digital motor controllers are a generation beyond what was in the EV1 though.
And Panasonic/Toyota outdid GM+partners on the NiMH chemistry, and so much of what can make or break an EV is about the batteries.

But I think Model S will take the crown by most any attribute...
(Although Roadster will probably continue to own the 'fun to drive' category.)

Aren't the EV1 Gen2 NiMH batteries the same as the ones in the RAV4-EV?
The fact that there are 10+ year old RAV4-EVs with batteries still at the same capacity as new is pretty impressive.
Who knows how good those batteries would be after 10 more years of development if Chevron hadn't bought the patent and buried it?
In 2019 when we have 10 year old Roadster batteries it will be time to compare their longevity.

The EV1 had an incredible coefficient of drag, I *wish* the Roadster was close to as good.
GM had a lot more money to spend developing the chassis than Tesla did.
I would love to see the Roadster powertrain in the EV1 body. It would blow away the EV1 speed record.

The article bitches about the Roadsters price tag and then mentions that GM spent about as much on each EV1. Take about eating your cake.

But its stupid to compare the chassis and fiddly bits, because the 3 most important parts of an EV are the batteries, the motor controller and the motor.
Tesla wins all three of those.

Aren't the EV1 Gen2 NiMH batteries the same as the ones in the RAV4-EV?...
No, GM was using the original Ovonic batteries. Panasonic licensed the technology, but then reformulated some of the chemicals used in their own version. During litigation, they argued that they had improved it so much that it really was a new class of battery. I think the courts said it wasn't enough different and so they were told to stop making them for BEVs since the oil company that bought the patents (Chevron/Texaco) didn't seem to want them made for BEVs anymore. I think those EV95 batteries were used in RAV4EV, RangerEV, and Honda EV+

I hate patents. I think most of them are bullshit.

However the ones that are not bullshit should have a major restriction - and that should be if you own the patent, but don't bring a product to market, you can not stop someone else from using the technology. If I was king, I would have forced Chevron/Texaco to make some reasonable foray into selling/licensing the batteries to anyone who wanted to use them or STFU.

I hate patents. I think most of them are bullshit.

However the ones that are not bullshit should have a major restriction - and that should be if you own the patent, but don't bring a product to market, you can not stop someone else from using the technology. If I was king, I would have forced Chevron/Texaco to make some reasonable foray into selling/licensing the batteries to anyone who wanted to use them or STFU.

I agree. And I hate patent trolls even more.