Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is high mileage really a reason for such a low asking price - 2017 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I am currently thinking about selling my 2017 75D Model S and would some advice. Its a beautiful car - midnight silver exterior with all the luxury upgrades (sunroof, premium white leather seats, sub zero, carbon fiber, air susp, Ultra High Fidelity Sound, BioH), No AP activated but can for the extra 3k, and it has nearly 50,000 miles on it. I've kept it in pristine condition but most potential buyers feel that asking over $54,000 is too much. I feel like its madness to think that this amazing vehicle is only worth around 50K. Assuming the car is mint but with the high miles, is resale really only worth ~$50,000?

A brand new 2019 S 100D (grey/white) is $82.3k with destination and tax credit included. That has a 370mi. range, improved Rev E battery, upgraded active suspension and Autopilot. Standard depreciation is 20% for 1st year and 10-15% for every year after. Meaning a 2017 100D should be worth about $56-59k.

You are asking $57k (with AP) for a 2017 S 75D with 33% less range, no warranty, 50k miles, and less desirable suspension.

A brand new 2019 S 100D (grey/white) is $82.3k with destination and tax credit included. That has a 370mi. range, improved Rev E battery, upgraded active suspension and Autopilot. Standard depreciation is 20% for 1st year and 10-15% for every year after. Meaning a 2017 100D should be worth about $56-59k.

You are asking $57k (with AP) for a 2017 S 75D with 33% less range, no warranty, 50k miles, and less desirable suspension.

Thanks for your response; you are also wise - If I ever want to get another, my monthly payment would be less than it is now (no free supercharging, no sunroof, no carbon fiber decor but not enormous sacrifices given the extended range and AP).

You ask what you want to ask. At each pricing level, there's a probability of it being sold.

If you're high, it may take longer to sale.
If you're low, it will sale faster, but you may have left money on the table.

If you have time, keep it high, if you need to unload it, drop the price.

We had a motorhome that we were selling a few years ago. We priced it pretty high, not in a hurry to sell.
It went for week and we weren't getting the traction we wanted. We were ready to start accepting lower offers when someone started looking at it and payed what we were asking.

Reactions: EA40
i dont think its apples to apples to compare to a model 3, but yes you are competing with things like P85D in the same price range, id say the facelift vs performance is more or less the same value though. its going yo hurt your resale value for not having AP activated.

i dont think its apples to apples to compare to a model 3, but yes you are competing with things like P85D in the same price range, id say the facelift vs performance is more or less the same value though. its going yo hurt your resale value for not having AP activated.

Thanks for your response; I agree, its not apples to apples; the weighing factor is if I realize I can't live without my current car after I sell my current 75D; I can always get a brand new one (sans carbon fiber, free supercharging, and sunroof) but does include AP and a ton more range. All for the same price I'm paying now. SOLD